Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Not that I have any exams coming up,

but in the event I did in the future...

How is one supposed to do a polygraph test knowing full well they're bullshit and dumb and inadmissible in many courts (and keep a straight face?)
    Not a polygraph examiner, but I was trained on the theory in conjunction with the PCASS, a sort of lay polygraph we used on Afghans, Iraqis, and TCNs in the Army. As a side note, I'm pretty convinced the PCASS was not any more reliable than chance, but it did give an interesting inject vector for other intelligence. Much of the whole thing was about security theater, which is true for the poly as well. Of course, not everyone involved in security theater knows they are playing a role.

Polygraph examiners who take polygraph tests do so in a "directed lie" format. As a comment above hinted at; polygraphs compared a probable lie with a relevant question. In the case of saying that you have never used an illegal substance, that was probably structured as a control question with the relevant question being something like "have you used illegal drugs in the last year." A 100% candid person cannot "pass" a standard poly, and must use a directed lie.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Polys are complete and utter bullshit.

Just remember, you can cheat on your wife your entire life and that's not a disqualifier, but if you smoked weed 20 years ago you're an obvious liar and you are lower than dogshit.
    I have taken two poly's and two VSA's. I could not agree with your first statement any more completely. There is a reason they are not admissable in court.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Been a cop for almost 20 years, lateralling to Washington state...apparently all LE agencies utilize polys for pre employment screening.

No discipline in my 30 years of LE and military but some subjective BS poly examiner may undermine my chances at getting hired doesnt encourage me

As has been echoed here, the older one is and the more real world experience the more likely to be viewed as evasive

Great....

User Tag List