Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    How does the pay scale at CBP compare with other agencies in CA, AZ, NM and TX?
    Can’t speak for southern border CBP, but DFW airport guys are “well paid,” according to a classmate from the area. Might be able to get more from other fields, but he felt he got into a good place with this.

We have a few going to Laredo, San Ysidro, and some other well known spots. Never asked them about specifics with pay, but you should be able to find pay scales online.

One thing, most southern border positions offer decent pay incentives. Unsure if they are still doing it, but a 33% incentive paid upon hiring, and same payment for the following two anniversaries of hiring (doesn’t increase over time, same 33% of first year salary is paid for the other two). Have to stay at the port for 3 years... or pay it all back. Some unpopular northern ports had 25%... which is what I signed up for.

If you get sent down south for TDY... it is a decent pay. One of our instructors was breaking it down for us, and was actually a decent chunk of change. If I had the option... I wouldn’t want to go. But if my number is drawn, I’ll make the best of it.

Site Supporter

I have no experience in LE but I've been all over the southern border (AZ,NM) in some remote areas. That has to be some pretty undesirable duty in the summer months, especially in the bush.

I've read that the benefits aren't that great either, but I don't know that either for a fact.

I wouldn't want that job unless there were some incentives like better pay or benefits. A tan and good Mexican food wouldn't be enough. Probably why so many people leave after a few years.
    CBPOs and BPAs make good money, better than most state or local LEOs in border areas. The only state/locals on the border making CBP journeyman money might be San Diego /CHP.

CBP gets the same benefits package as all other federal workers.

The reasons many leave after a few years is NOT pay or benefits.

Some take CBP/BP jobs as a stepping stone to more desirable jobs in Federal LE, I’ve worked with many ICE, ATF, DEA and FBI agents who are former Border Patrol Agents.

However, by far the majority who leave after a few years do so due to cultural or quality of life issues in border communities. Sometimes it is a matter of being in a remote area with limited access to jobs for spouses, schools, medical care etc. In many cases you have people not from the border regions who don’t understand that culturally it is more Mexico than anything else. Some learn it and come to love it and some, well, no pos ta cabron.

When I say culturally it’s like Mexico I’m not talking about ordering in Spanish at McDonald’s. I’m talking about the way people relate and go about their daily business. It’s not bad but if you are a Guero from, say the Northeast, or Midwest, it is a culture shock.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-22-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    CBPOs and BPAs make good money, better than most state or local LEOs in border areas. The only state/locals on the border making CBP journeyman money might be San Diego /CHP.

CBP gets the same benefits package as all other federal workers.

The reasons many leave after a few years is NOT pay or benefits.

Some take CBP/BP jobs as a stepping stone to more desirable jobs in Federal LE, I’ve worked with many ICE, ATF, DEA and FBI agents who are former Border Patrol Agents.

However, by far the majority who leave after a few years do so due to cultural or quality of life issues in border communities. Sometimes it is a matter of being in a remote area with limited access to jobs for spouses, schools, medical care etc. In many cases you have people not from the border regions who don’t understand that culturally it is more Mexico than anything else. Some learn it and come to love it and some, well, no pos ta cabron.

When I say culturally it’s like Mexico I’m not talking about ordering in Spanish at McDonald’s. I’m talking about the way people relate and go about their daily business. It’s not bad but if you are a Guero from, say the Northeast, or Midwest, it is a culture shock.
    Culture shock for sure. I can relate to a lot of this. I've been in Sonora, Chihuahua and Baja. Mostly tourist destinations but some out of the way places also. I used to fish a lot near La Paz. I graduated from a HS that was 75% Hispanic. I'm not Hispanic but culturally I'm probably more Hispanic (Mexican) than anything else. That's hard for most that know me to believe but it's a fact and I recognize it.

Great post. Thanks for the insight.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have no experience in LE but I've been all over the southern border (AZ,NM) in some remote areas. That has to be some pretty undesirable duty in the summer months, especially in the bush.

I've read that the benefits aren't that great either, but I don't know that either for a fact.

I wouldn't want that job unless there were some incentives like better pay or benefits. A tan and good Mexican food wouldn't be enough. Probably why so many people leave after a few years.
    We are non-competitive to GS-12, have Federal retirement benefits (TSP w the Service matching 5%) and very competitive health care plans to choose from. If you start at a GS-5 you can be making 6 figures in approx 6 years. All of this information is readily available...but please, tell me about how shitty we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    We are non-competitive to GS-12, have Federal retirement benefits (TSP w the Service matching 5%) and very competitive health care plans to choose from. If you start at a GS-5 you can be making 6 figures in approx 6 years. All of this information is readily available...but please, tell me about how shitty we have it.
    I guess you have to decide for yourself if the duty is worth the pay and benefits. I don't walk in your shoes everyday so that would be impossible for me to say. Some people think a career in the military is a good deal so I guess it's more or less up to the individual to make that call.

The extreme heat in S AZ wouldn't be a desirable part of that job for me. I lived down there long enough to know about that. 113 degrees in Yuma today, but it's a dry heat.

I guess you have to decide for yourself if the duty is worth the pay and benefits. I don't walk in your shoes everyday so that would be impossible for me to say. Some people think a career in the military is a good deal so I guess it's more or less up to the individual to make that call.

The extreme heat in S AZ wouldn't be a desirable part of that job for me. I lived down there long enough to know about that. 113 degrees in Yuma today, but it's a dry heat.
    All of the agents I personally know who've left the Border Patrol have left because of 1) Bad management, and 2) Lack of career ladder/options.

Even after getting dicked on their AUO, the pay and benefits were the only thing that kept them for as long as they stayed, not what drove them away.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-28-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    All of the agents I personally know who've left the Border Patrol have left because of 1) Bad management, and 2) Lack of career ladder/options.

Even after getting dicked on their AUO, the pay and benefits were the only thing that kept them for as long as they stayed, not what drove them away.
    I left my first job in federal law enforcement for the reasons mentioned above.

The bonus was not only that I had a much better and fulfilling job once I lateraled over...but I took a flyer for a whopping $25 and joined a FLEOA class action lawsuit for violations of FLSA...and years later, having forgotten about it, was rewarded with a series of significant payouts resulting from the lawsuit. My partner hadn't thought it worthwhile at the time and lived to regret the decision.

Sometimes you end up making a good decision while having a few beers...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter

Yuma’s pretty hot, but there are lots of miles on that border, and some of them are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Yuma’s pretty hot, but there are lots of miles on that border, and some of them are really nice.
    Roger that.

Well I got a provisional pass on my polygraph today. It still has to go to QC for the official pass. I wonder if it has changed recently as I have nothing negative to say. The examiner was very professional and pleasant. This is my second poly that I have taken (one for my current agency).
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

User Tag List