Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    I've actually met more people in the southern AZ area that had theirs go almost identically like mine - long adversarial first session where you're accused of murder, 2nd session where you're called a drug smuggler, and boom you're out. Killed my LE dream and got me into PTA school. Think I'll have a longer, more enjoyable career doing that instead.
    I've no idea what PTA school is, but if you really had a "LE dream" BP is far from the only game in town and most places aren't playing those games. It's hard enough to get quality candidates in the door without doing mind-game buttfuckery to run them off.

If the "dream" was more of a whim, enjoy whatever PTA school is and I wish you the best. If it's a legit dream, plenty of options out there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    I have zero faith in a polygraph
    Same.
    I would never apply at a place that uses a polygraph, not because I’m not truthful, but because I wouldn’t want to be blackballed because of being at the mercy of the poly and it’s operator possibility screwing up. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Same.
    I would never apply at a place that uses a polygraph, not because I’m not truthful, but because I wouldn’t want to be blackballed because of being at the mercy of the poly and it’s operator possibility screwing up. Not worth it.
    Most agencies seem to use it, though I’ve gone through one dept’s hiring process that used CVSA.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Most agencies seem to use it, though I’ve gone through one dept’s hiring process that used CVSA.
    I only know of one in my area, and I didn’t apply there back when I was still looking. Lucky for me I guess. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've no idea what PTA school is, but if you really had a "LE dream" BP is far from the only game in town and most places aren't playing those games. It's hard enough to get quality candidates in the door without doing mind-game buttfuckery to run them off.

If the "dream" was more of a whim, enjoy whatever PTA school is and I wish you the best. If it's a legit dream, plenty of options out there.
    IDK where you work, but here in the mid-atlantic, getting DQ'd in a police hiring process for "lying" to a police officer during a polygraph session is a one way ticket to never getting a job. EVERY department I'm aware of in VA/DC/MD requires that you list every other department you've ever applied to, and the results of said process. If you were DQ'd for anything more than a parking ticket, you're as good as on a black list.

It's a crooked process IMO. When I got hired by my first department I first had to explain away why I was not hired by a tiny adjacent agency with a terrible starting salary. They would not believe that I self-selected out after learning the starting salary on my ride-along ($43k, which is poverty status in Northern Virginia and ~$12k lower than any surrounding jurisdiction) and treated me like a criminal despite the fact that I voluntarily withdrew. Only after a special-purpose polygraph session covering the reason I wasn't hired at that other agency, and THEN my background detective contacting them to confirm (they did), was I cleared for hire. So yeah, I believe that (regionally) his LE dream could be crushed.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 07-22-2019 at 06:25 PM.

^^^^That is one sad ass story. It sickens me to read it ChaseN.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    IDK where you work, but here in the mid-atlantic, getting DQ'd in a police hiring process for "lying" to a police officer during a polygraph session is a one way ticket to never getting a job. EVERY department I'm aware of in VA/DC/MD requires that you list every other department you've ever applied to, and the results of said process. If you were DQ'd for anything more than a parking ticket, you're as good as on a black list.

It's a crooked process IMO. When I got hired by my first department I first had to explain away why I was not hired by a tiny adjacent agency with a terrible starting salary. They would not believe that I self-selected out after learning the starting salary on my ride-along ($43k, which is poverty status in Northern Virginia and ~$12k lower than any surrounding jurisdiction) and treated me like a criminal despite the fact that I voluntarily withdrew. Only after a special-purpose polygraph session covering the reason I wasn't hired at that other agency, and THEN my background detective contacting them to confirm (they did), was I cleared for hire. So yeah, I believe that (regionally) his LE dream could be crushed.
    You have to list them here as well, but getting punted from a process after a conditional offer is only supposed to affect you for 2 years and that's if it was our process. I know of an instance on another department where an individual failed the poly for a non-sworn position and passed THE SAME POLY for a sworn position and was eventually offered the sworn position.

I definitely get policing is regional. If you're 36 or over and not already sworn, your options here are very very limited. 100 miles south, no age limits at all as long as you can pass the physical. If you're flexible and willing to move, there are opportunities out there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    IME MMPI is part of a battery of psych tests and not a stand alone measure. Also, unless you're bone stupid or batshit crazy it's pretty easy to game the MMPI.
    That's easy to say if the people following you haven't seen your spirit leave your body!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

How does the pay scale at CBP compare with other agencies in CA, AZ, NM and TX?

I have no experience in LE but I've been all over the southern border (AZ,NM) in some remote areas. That has to be some pretty undesirable duty in the summer months, especially in the bush.

I've read that the benefits aren't that great either, but I don't know that either for a fact.

I wouldn't want that job unless there were some incentives like better pay or benefits. A tan and good Mexican food wouldn't be enough. Probably why so many people leave after a few years.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-22-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    I'm going through the background investigation now, with a poly to be scheduled. Never taken one before, but thought I would have no problems (never tried weed, never even had a speeding ticket), but now I'm concerned. Just knowing it's coming has you second guessing yourself. So the current poly CBP is putting on hasn't changed much in spite of the new, expedited hiring process? Sounds like a plan B would be prudent.
    It's a great tool for loading stress during an interview, but my suggestion is to go into it with no preconceptions and no reservations looking at it as a new experience. Don't heap the stress on yourself just going through the interviewer's door. If you don't understand a question ask and keep a positive attitude. Don't be concerned, be candid.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List