Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Two out of three applicants to CBP fail its polygraph test, according to the agency. That’s more than double the average rate of eight law enforcement agencies that provided data to the Associated Press under open-records requests. It's a big reason approximately 2,000 jobs at the nation's largest law enforcement agency are empty, with the Border Patrol, a part of CBP, recently slipping below 20,000 agents for the first time since 2009. And it has raised questions of whether the lie detector tests are being properly administered. CBP Commissioner Gil Kerlikowske said the failure rate is too high, but that is largely because the agency hasn't attracted the applicants it wants. He and other law enforcement experts contend the polygraphs are generally working as intended at the agency, which has been trying to root out bribery and other corruption. But others, including lawmakers, union leaders and polygraph experts, contend that the use of lie detectors has gone awry and that many applicants are being subjected to unusually long and hostile interrogations, which some say can make people look deceptive even when they are telling the truth.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...113-story.html

In the case of Border Patrol specifically, a review was already conducted and found the tests were being conducted improperly, resulting in the dismal amount of failures.

I don't know if that applies to Air and Marine Operations, a separate agency from Border Patrol within CBP, which is what they're focusing on in the article with the ex-military pilot.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    This is what concerns me most about applying for CBP. Even if I am honest there is a decent chance I will fail.

The three and a half hour polygraph exam I endured to get hired ranks right up there in my things that sucked list. I have heard from others who went to that particular polygraph examiner also had a rough time.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In the case of Border Patrol specifically, a review was already conducted and found the tests were being conducted improperly, resulting in the dismal amount of failures.

I don't know if that applies to Air and Marine Operations, a separate agency from Border Patrol within CBP, which is what they're focusing on in the article with the ex-military pilot.
    It applies to all CBP. Congress had hearings on this topic in June of 2016.

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/2016/...aph-practices/

At least part of the issue mis the quality of the contract polygraphers CBP has been using.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-16-2017 at 01:03 AM.

I just went through the CBP Poly ten days ago.

It is everything as described. I have held a TS/SCI (14 years), and it was current up until last July (I left the organization carrying the clearance, on good terms,my clearance was good.) Army CI Officer and previous Infantry Officer. 28 months in Iraq with Kurds and Iraqis.

I walked out feeling like a career criminal and lower than shit. The worst I did was smoke something twenty+ years ago.

He told me I was lying about everything to include my name. It was stupid, the CBP Poly is horribly ran. Mine took six hours. The questions are for a twenty year old, not someone that spent any time in the real world or managing people.

I was told I failed, but I have not been released from the hiring process, so who knows what is going to happen.

I think the biggest problem the examiners have is the lines of questioning.
    They were very ambiguous. One example how do you feel about someone taking credit for someone else's work.

Well, we all hate that and disagree with it.

But, if you have ever managed a large group and represented them, and the Commander says who did this. You raise your hand. You pass the praise on.

But, you just contradicted yourself in the eyes of the poly.

I personally think my examiner was an idiot, and the poly is pure Voodoo.

I understand they have a use, but the weakness comes from the poor examiners.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 01-16-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Been through a bunch of them. Most are complete horseshit. Either the person doing the questioning isn't experienced enough to understand what machine says or they rely too heavily on it.

One of them I had stomach growls from the food I ate the day before, the test was at noon so I had no breakfast. Everytime my stomach made noises he said I was lying, I asked him if the machine could tell between my stomach making sounds and me lying he said yes and that's not even remotely true.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Polys are complete and utter bullshit.

Just remember, you can cheat on your wife your entire life and that's not a disqualifier, but if you smoked weed 20 years ago you're an obvious liar and you are lower than dogshit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This is what concerns me most about applying for CBP. Even if I am honest there is a decent chance I will fail.
    Years ago my old partner who later voluntarily transferred to Deming, NM, was an experienced polygrapher / polygraphist. He agreed to test me at my own request. I was curious about the results if providing entirely honest answers to a variety of questions, some of which were pretty personal.

The machine was calibrated and tested and we proceeded with the Q&A. When it was over he told me that it showed that some of my responses were deceptive.

At that point I knew I would never voluntarily submit to a polygraph as I couldn't have been more honest with my replies during the examination.
    Last edited by blues; 01-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Dont the quote as extensive a history with polygraphs as some of you guys, but have had to take a few in my younger days. I honestly believe that the reason I passed is that I had little actual life experience. Pretty sure if I had to take one now I'd fail simply cause of understanding that life isn't black and white. Or I guess if I was working in an environment where that type of activity was required I'd have learned to be a better liar over the years.

I like how it seems that polygraphs are being run by kids with no interrogation experience for the most part. People's have come to rely on technology like life is really CSI. It is supposed to be a tool that can enable a skilled interrogator to discover your lies quicker. It's NOT supposed to be the tool that makes an inexperienced dipshit worth while.

User Tag List