Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Got my "official results" today regarding my polygraph.

Nothing I didn't expect, but will admit to being annoyed.
    That sucks man. Sorry to hear that, blows that pseudoscience carries so much weight with the hiring process.

After applying in June 2017, I can unfortunately confirm the practices in the article are still going on. I’ve recently put a combined 14 hours over two sessions in the room, and between the two exams they couldn’t agree on what to fail me on. Questions I breezed through the first time were ones I had apparently failed terribly the second.

I was accused of being a murderer, a drug smuggler, and repeatedly thrown out of the room for somehow attempting to to subvert the test. Not sure how much was bluffing, or what. It definitely was not the truth.

So, after 15 months of waiting, my wife and I giving up our jobs and home to relocate (since I was led to believe it would speed up the process), it’s all over with no recourse, and I don’t know why. I’ve worked at an LE agency in a civilian capacity, and nuclear security for almost 7 years. Never tried weed, never got a speeding ticket. But according to them I’m some kind of monster. I’ve never been treated this way, and now find myself on the other side of the country having to start over. So, for potential applicants, be very aware of the risks of this process.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    After applying in June 2017, I can unfortunately confirm the practices in the article are still going on. I’ve recently put a combined 14 hours over two sessions in the room, and between the two exams they couldn’t agree on what to fail me on. Questions I breezed through the first time were ones I had apparently failed terribly the second.

I was accused of being a murderer, a drug smuggler, and repeatedly thrown out of the room for somehow attempting to to subvert the test. Not sure how much was bluffing, or what. It definitely was not the truth.

So, after 15 months of waiting, my wife and I giving up our jobs and home to relocate (since I was led to believe it would speed up the process), it’s all over with no recourse, and I don’t know why. I’ve worked at an LE agency in a civilian capacity, and nuclear security for almost 7 years. Never tried weed, never got a speeding ticket. But according to them I’m some kind of monster. I’ve never been treated this way, and now find myself on the other side of the country having to start over. So, for potential applicants, be very aware of the risks of this process.
    Condolences. It’s almost a lottery on who gets hired it would seem.

Not sure I understand quitting your job though. How were you led to believe it would expedite the hiring process?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

It was insinuated that if I took Nogales as a posting, the process would possibly be expedited. I said that I would, and then a transfer opportunity for my wife opened up out there, so we took a chance and went for it, not expecting this result. Figured if that’s where I’d be, and I had no real reason to fail a polygraph, this would cinch things up. So I left my job and we sold our house to move.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your misfortune in regards to the polygraph. You gave up a lot in an effort to secure a job with the agency.

As I've mentioned in the past, I had one of my old partners, an experienced, certified, and well respected polygrapher, administer the test on me.

(I had no reason to do it other than curiosity, and it helped him keep up his skill level.)

My conditions were that he could ask me direct questions, (none of which could be the basis for my losing the job), and I would answer honestly, (unequivocally), to all. He gave me discretion to lie to one or more questions to make it interesting for him.

At the end of the exam he told me that I had given deceptive answers to a couple of questions which I had answered completely honestly and candidly.

Bottom line? Based upon that experience I don't think I'd have ever voluntarily taken a polygraph going forward.

I hope there will be better opportunities for you on the horizon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    It was insinuated that if I took Nogales as a posting, the process would possibly be expedited. I said that I would, and then a transfer opportunity for my wife opened up out there, so we took a chance and went for it, not expecting this result. Figured if that’s where I’d be, and I had no real reason to fail a polygraph, this would cinch things up. So I left my job and we sold our house to move.
    Whom ever advised you sterred you wrong. Polygraph issues aside, until you have a tentative offer of employment with a location in writing, the location (s) you are offered are subject to change based on the needs of the .GOV.

My former boss, who I applied at the same time with and he’s now working the area, said if you want Nogales you’re gonna get Nogales . Basically it was a big gamble, and I lost.

When I did my polygraph, was happy CBP did one for the two positions I applied for; BPA and CBPO. Did the same with the drug and medical review... but had to do the PT for each (were different, but I’ll talk about that later).

I’m not going to go into specifics on a public forum, but I can agree that it wasn’t something I’d look forward to do again. And I needed to do a follow up polygraph because of the results from the first. Same examiner... who wasn’t a bad guy.

What it came down to, he asked a question where I actually wasn’t sure if I was answering correct (overthinking, yes... but wanted to be honest). I tried to explain, but was after completing the bulk of the examination (both of us were tired and wanted to go home). The protocols in place did “protect” me if it was something between me and the examiner, because I was asked if I’d feel comfortable meeting with him again. Went through review, and was decided to do additional testing.

However, when I went to meet the second time... I explained the situation, and he understood where I was. Worded the question around that situation, which we both agreed I acted in good faith, and there wasn’t an issue. But then he saw issue with something more serious, which was fine on the previous one (or he didn’t say it was an issue when I left the first, or when I got there and he reviewed where we were). It was something that didn’t fit me, but on a subsequent line of questions, he was satisfied with my answer. Told me good luck, and I picked his brain on the testing... because how many polygraph examiners will I ever get to meet?

I understand the idea behind it, and the examiner did explain how the test reacts to the body. Do I think it should be done? Yes, but I don’t think it should be held as a pass/fail decision. If I understand it, it really comes down to the examiner’s opinion/experience, and if they feel comfortable to sign off on the applicant. Do I have a better solution? Nope, as I’m only knowledgeable about the two meetings I had. But I do feel confident in saying the polygraph is costing CBP/BP quality applicants.

I went through the application process with the NJSP, which I ultimately withdrew from. Best decision I made, especially being able to leave this state. However, I feel that their process was a little better in some aspects... and one definitely is PT. They don’t do polygraphs, which I believe is a NJ thing (NCHP does polygraphs, which I learned from talking with a recruiter; pay was my main reason for not pursuing... not the polygraph).

They do their PT first, then the written. Done to reduce the number of applicants, as it is cheaper to do the PT testing than written. But one thing that strikes me with both CBP and BP testing is that it doesn’t mean they get an applicant who is in shape by FLETC... not even close. The first one... it is push-ups, sit-ups, and the step thing for five minutes (can look it up on the associated websites). CBP was supposed to have a lift test, but to be honest... I can’t even remember if I did it.

So, I was brought up with police tests that when you do push-ups/sit-ups/whatever... you bust out as many as possible. It was done at a contracted facility, but was told that you do 10 push-ups... and stop (number might be different, but not an exaggeration). It really had me scratching my head, but probably someone failed and decided to complain/sue.

So, went through the rest of the process... preparing for the second PT (as well as FLETC). You know... running 1.5 mile, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. During the CBPO interview another applicant said the second PT was waved for us. Continued preparing, as I figured BP was going do theirs. When I got my offers without a second PT, I was shocked. I am actually scared to see the applicants at FLETC, because I know human nature. I hope I’m wrong.

When I did the NJSP process, they required us to do a practice PT session. I did as many as I could... especially with the medical issues I was dealing with at that time (they wanted me on an insulin pump... which was a fun transition; I could actually complete them when I was on injections... not on the pump, because of issues with it, that were resolved on my second one). There were people that couldn’t do one rep of push-ups... which I originally thought washed out in the original PT testing. Then you had instructors say that PT test isn’t what they look for... it is the lawmakers coming up with some way of scoring applicants. Doing a 12 minute mile, 50 push-ups and sit-ups in a minute (might have been two... been a long time since I took that test), and good enough score on the relay isn’t going to do much on the first day of the academy.

The fact that polygraphs, literally unverifiable pseudoscience on exactly equal terms with reading chicken bones, are still used for a large number of jobs in this country is frankly incredibly embarrassing.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter

Wow. Hit me up with a pm if you want to chat about SE Arizona employment.

User Tag List