Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    They have use as a tool to get people to confess, but that’s about it. Chicken bones would probably do as well in determining “truth”.
    Just like Bunk's copier, only less accurate:

I'm guessing that's the point in pre-employment as well: to get someone to say something they would not otherwise. However, if you do a thorough background investigation there shouldn't be anything you don't know about the candidate.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I took two polygraphs back in the 90s as part of preemployment background checks for two local deptmemts. I passed both. The first test was administered by a true believer. He was a detective who spent most of his time giving polys to suspects. He was an asshole to put it nicely. The second department’s detective asked me hundreds of questions prior to the test. I asked the second detective questions and I never forgot what he said, “it is a useful tool; it supplements but it does not take the place of a good background investigation”sic. I question the leadership any agency that depends on these tests

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    After applying in June 2017, I can unfortunately confirm the practices in the article are still going on. I’ve recently put a combined 14 hours over two sessions in the room, and between the two exams they couldn’t agree on what to fail me on. Questions I breezed through the first time were ones I had apparently failed terribly the second.

I was accused of being a murderer, a drug smuggler, and repeatedly thrown out of the room for somehow attempting to to subvert the test. Not sure how much was bluffing, or what. It definitely was not the truth.

So, after 15 months of waiting, my wife and I giving up our jobs and home to relocate (since I was led to believe it would speed up the process), it’s all over with no recourse, and I don’t know why. I’ve worked at an LE agency in a civilian capacity, and nuclear security for almost 7 years. Never tried weed, never got a speeding ticket. But according to them I’m some kind of monster. I’ve never been treated this way, and now find myself on the other side of the country having to start over. So, for potential applicants, be very aware of the risks of this process.
    Sorry to see this. Hope for the best for you and the family!

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I took two polygraphs back in the 90s as part of preemployment background checks for two local deptmemts. I passed both. The first test was administered by a true believer. He was a detective who spent most of his time giving polys to suspects. He was an asshole to put it nicely. The second department’s detective asked me hundreds of questions prior to the test. I asked the second detective questions and I never forgot what he said, “it is a useful tool; it supplements but it does not take the place of a good background investigation”sic. I question the leadership any agency that depends on these tests
    I think I already posted about my three and a half hour ordeal on my poly. The guy who gave it was a true believer too.

One of my long time co workers got polygraphed by the same guy. He failed that test. He tested with the State Troopers and passed. Our hiring Sergeant found out and had him retested. He passed and got hired shortly before me. I despise polygraphs. There a tool to get people to confess.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Honestly, I think the days of polygraph should be behind us. It's abused by some departments to remove people from testing. I believe the state of Michigan doesn't allow it anymore and I don't see them having issues with hiring crap people as officers. It punishes honest folks more often than not it seems.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    As a mild aside, how common is it for LE agencies to put non-sworn personnel through a poly exam as part of the hiring process? My current employer inflicted one on me as the final stage of the process, after my phone interview, panel interview, and chief's interview, and while they were still working on my background investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    As a mild aside, how common is it for LE agencies to put non-sworn personnel through a poly exam as part of the hiring process? My current employer inflicted one on me as the final stage of the process, after my phone interview, panel interview, and chief's interview, and while they were still working on my background investigation.
    Not uncommon at all. At least where I am at. Depends on the agency, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    I've seen it as a condition of employment for non-sworn IT jobs (IE support, not cyber crimes) with local law enforcement in different parts of Virginia.

Chris

Polygraphs or CVSA’S are a part of our process and occurs as part of the background investigation...and I have zero faith in them. A solid background investigation will reveal who is, and is not, a good applicant.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 10-21-2018 at 06:36 AM.

Good to know. Been going through the process. Still early and no idea when or if I’ll even get to do the polygraph. Not particularly looking forward to it after reading this though.

User Tag List