Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Gun for Non-Dedicated Shooters.

Best Gun for Non-Dedicated Shooters.

We enthusiasts here all realize the path the better performance begins with effective practice.

The catch is one must first practice to do that, and for many folks that might not even be practical financially or logistically. Yet these folks still face the same population of jagoffs we do.

What's the best equipment to start with for the "once a year" shooter? DA revolver? Sig DAK? HK LEM? Striker fired ?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Given the untrained folks shoot themselves way more often than a bad guy, the DA revolver. Easier admin handling, easier to not shoot, more tolerant of lack of maintenance in granny's sock drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Given the untrained folks shoot themselves way more often than a bad guy, the DA revolver. Easier admin handling, easier to not shoot, more tolerant of lack of maintenance in granny's sock drawer.
    This, IMHO.

What about a DA/SA pistol, in an unlikely case they actually have to shoot? 'Cause the chance of them hitting anything with a DA revolver is next to nothing.

We've solved this problem here at my house with a 10/22 with a 16" barrel and 25 Round magazine full of CCI Velociters.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Vending Machine Operator
    The option we chose for my mom was a Ruger LCR with standard-pressure .38 Special. The trigger is less of a struggle than a typical DA revolver, but it has all the other advantages that BeyondBlueIs noted.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What about a DA/SA pistol, in an unlikely case they actually have to shoot? 'Cause the chance of them hitting anything with a DA revolver is next to nothing.
    More ND potential. Roughly 1/3 of the ones I've documented are due to not properly clearing the gun.

Although this is asked in the semiauto forum, I agree with Post#2 being the revolver.
    Five to eight rounds of something like .38 Special is a good recommendation.
    With revolvers or semiautos, things will quickly get complicated as one gets into intermediate or advanced techniques of reloading; moving; and shooting.
    I'm speaking of the person who buys a handgun; and if they even load it or try shooting even once; then puts it away.

For Post#4, I don't see someone who doesn't practice being able to get hits better with a double-action/single-action semi vs. a double-action revolver (which might be able to be cocked for single action). Choosing a semi vs. a revolver also gets into what's best for that person's build/physical strength/hand size, among other things (ability to remember manual of arms; cost; caliber) which come to mind.

This gets into that question of "Help me choose a gun for someone else (significant other; offspring; friend; etc.)".

For a 'sock drawer' gun? K framed S&W .38. Easy to use, easier to unload totally, and if one decides to actually get serious about shooting, you have a good platform to do it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    We've solved this problem here at my house with a 10/22 with a 16" barrel and 25 Round magazine full of CCI Velociters.
    Some goodness here, if you can train folks to drop the magazine and clear the rifle in the event they have to chamber a round or fire. But it is also easier to take away due to longer barrel. Of course, with a revolver that is not DAO, there might be a propensity to cock it, and then there are issues with rendering it safe for the inexperienced, particularly in a high stress situation. Really, whatever the platform, training to proficiency is a necessity. No way around it.
    Last edited by Willard; 01-15-2017 at 01:42 AM.

User Tag List