Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Best Gun for Non-Dedicated Shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Some of that is likely due to the ratio of man-hours of mucking vs man-hours of self-defense. I've yet to have an LEO shoot themselves, but have had non-LEO shoot themselves in such situations. Two rather serious ones that spring to mind:
    The guy who shot himself in the thigh and into the ankle getting a little excited in fending off a carjacker and getting on the trigger early.
    The guy who shot himself in the thigh holstering up after a scare (thought he was being attacked by an aggressive animal, turned out to be a non-aggressive, but noisy, animal) shoot himself due to finger still in the trigger guard.
    Would you by chance remember the type of pistol used in those two incidents?

I know n=2 doesn't mean much but inquiring minds and all that....

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Would you by chance remember the type of pistol used in those two incidents?

I know n=2 doesn't mean much but inquiring minds and all that....
    I know anti-carjacker guy had a Glock, and I *think* it was a .40. Definitely a Glock, though.

I don't remember what dog walker guy had for sure, but it was a small and inexpensive semi-auto. Maybe a Sccy or Kel-tec. Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Some of that is likely due to the ratio of man-hours of mucking vs man-hours of self-defense. I've yet to have an LEO shoot themselves, but have had non-LEO shoot themselves in such situations. Two rather serious ones that spring to mind:
    The guy who shot himself in the thigh and into the ankle getting a little excited in fending off a carjacker and getting on the trigger early.
    The guy who shot himself in the thigh holstering up after a scare (thought he was being attacked by an aggressive animal, turned out to be a non-aggressive, but noisy, animal) shoot himself due to finger still in the trigger guard.
    Also, you could think of it as; the more man hours you practice, the more you invite disaster. Tex Grubner of Grubner Outdoors comes to mind.
    I hope that doesn't jinx me. :/

Site Supporter
    At the range visit, I described there was a guy with an AR and a big optic. With his lady friend. He cannot figure out how to load it, charge it, deal with the safety. I'm sure he is ready to use it for self-defense. The SO had to show him. He shoots one mag and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At the range visit, I described there was a guy with an AR and a big optic. With his lady friend. He cannot figure out how to load it, charge it, deal with the safety. I'm sure he is ready to use it for self-defense. The SO had to show him. He shoots one mag and leaves.
    As a club.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Vending Machine Operator
    I confess I can't effectively run my AR-15. I have like 500 rounds range time a year ago, and that's it. It is fully decked out behind the closet door, but my G19 is my go-to since I have recent familiarity with it. I'd like to poke around about a reputable beginner carbine tactics class so I can feel more competent with my rifle. I know how it WORKS, but not how to fight with it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The ideal "sock drawer gun" in my opinion, would be a DAO all stainless steel revolver with a spurless or shrouded hammer and a 3-4 inch barrel in 38 Special. Frame size should be about that of an S&W Model 10.

A DAO revolver is easy to use and cannot be inadvertently cocked. The all stainless steel construction minimizes maintenance needs and gives the pistol enough mass to reduce recoil. The 38 Special is a light recoiling, proven caliber that's easy to find ammo for. A revolver about the size of a Model 10 had a large enough grip for good control, but still can fit all but the smallest hand.

A DAO S&W K frame, Ruger GP-100 or SP-101 would make good "Sock Drawer" guns
    I generally fall into this camp. The larger frame revolvers command a premium around here, though. The 3" Ruger LCRx isn't bad, but I'd like to see the same features offered on the regular LCR.
    If capacity is a concern, a DAO auto would be a good idea. I really like the P250, although Sig's website currenty lists only the .22 version. Tam has said that she'd be tickled if all her S&W revolvers had the P250's trigger pull. The full sized PX4 is available as a DAO, and with a 4" barrel and 17 rounds on tap ought to be a viable choice. For small hands, the "regular" size Kahrs are not bad, either.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I hear Tam... She's right on IMO. Now that I have shifted away- again- from Grocks... I have been thinking about getting a Sig 250 to replace the SD9VE I've been holding... Just not happy with the striker thing anymore.

The HK P30SK is now my fave EDC, gonna stay with that. Probably what I should do is just keep the SD9VE for emergencies and keep one one of my HK USPc 9mms in the mini war-bag. Been carrying it for over a year, but I now need something to carry a bit smaller & lighter... The P30SK is working out just right for that. Getting old, and all that... Not so cool, but whatever.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Best Gun for Non-Dedicated Shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At The range that I frequent, there was a guy shooting an AR with no sights. The RSO suggested that he leave the premises.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-23-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

For a handgun? SIG P250 or DAO full size revolver.

I don't see a need to recommend a handgun, though. If they hunt and have a lever action 30-30, 12ga pump or whatever, I'd recommend they just use what they're familiar with, even if it's a Browning BSS side-by-side.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List