Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston Advice

Houston Advice

My wife, our two kids (7 and 4), and I will be heading to Houston in March for 4 or 5 days; never been there aside from a layover in IAH. Currently looking for a place to stay, any advice on parts of town to stay in or avoid is appreciated. We'll be driving, not flying in; but would like to be within reasonable driving distance of the touristy stuff. Also, (kid-friendly) restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well. Definitely looking for some good Texas barbecue.

Go to the Houston Space Center.

The shortest distance between two points in Houston is probably under construction.

Houston has great places to eat
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Lived there in the early 90s. I can totally relate to the construction comment: seemed perpetual.

Definitely take the kids to NASA. Battleship Texas. San Jacinto.

Any food recommendations I'd remember would likely be out of date.

Papa Brothers. Best steak I've ever had.

Go to the Space Museum and the Zoo. I usually stay in the Hotel Derek when I go, but never stayed in one of their normal rooms. Good location (for me anyway).

Allow extra time for travel. Houston is huge and it takes time to get anywhere, which is why everyone droves 80 mph on the highway.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I saw you were in Florida so I'm assuming you'll be heading west on I-10. I think downtown would be your best bet. Plenty of hotels in that area. Also close to the zoo as others have mentioned. The kids museum is also about 2 blocks away perfect for your kids. NASA would be about 45 minutes (without traffic) and I like Pappas Bros for BBQ. Ask 5 other people you'll get 5 other recommendations.

Josh

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1) Stop at Bucee's on the way in.
    2) The only Pappas place worth your time is Pappas Steak House. Their BBQ place is terrible.
    3) Best BBQ in Houston, in my opinion, is done at one of 3 places: Killen's in Pearland, Roegel's (best brisket in town, easily), and Corkskrew in Spring. Might try the Pit Room as well, they are up and coming.
    4) Steer clear of Greenspoint, Sharpstown, and anything in the third ward.
    5) If you stay in the middle of Houston (galleria, inside the loop, etc...), you can get anywhere with ease, just be prepared for traffic.
    6) Galveston is the definition of the 3rd coast, and I love it....lots to do for the kiddos (moody gardens, battleship, pleasure pier, seawolf park, schlitterbahn, excellent spring fishing with a guide, etc...etc...).
    7) The food scene in Houston is, in my opinion, the best in the nation. What type of food, aside from BBQ, are you looking for?
    8) NASA, make a stop for an Astros game, zoo, children's museum, so many great family things in my town...I love it.
    Last edited by 223AI; 01-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.

You're driving from Florida on I-10? Man, I wish I could remember that Creole place in Lake Charles LA I used to eat at when working a contract there. All I remember is that it was near the Chenault airport. Excellent food. I loved the boudin, catfish and etouffee
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Atchafalaya bridge is a speed trap. So are the parts of the 10 in TX where the speed limit is 65 mph. This state has 70 mph limits on twisting backwoods two-lanes. There's only one reason for the 10 to be that low.

Appreciate the responses so far.

Space Center, Zoo, and a few other things downtown (kids museum, etc) are on the list. We'll work to put Galveston on the list as well. Will be driving in on I-10; planning on hitting New Orleans to some extent on the way back, perhaps just overnight.

Aside from barbecue, not looking for anything in particular as long as it's good. I love a damn good steak, but will probably keep it to casual type places with the kids in tow.

Bucee's....they've got some funny billboards on I-10 most of the way in to Florida (east of Tallahassee, IIRC).

Thanks!

User Tag List