Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most comfortable Aiwb holster for 1911

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The reason AIWB tends to be more person specific is a combination of how we use them and how subtle changes effect concealibility.

With an IWB nobody expects to conceal a 17 behind the hip in a t shirt. Nobody expects a sub one second draw. With AIWB, we do.
    I was concealing a 1911 with mag well or a g22 behind the hip, under a polo (rarely wear t shirts), and I knew plenty of guys doing the same. I had a 1.1 draw to be accurate, but was working on getting it lower, and knew guys with faster draws. I never switched to aiwb for concealment or speed, and am disappointed that the market thinks of it as fast.
    Speed is the least of the benefits of aiwb.

Is AIWB faster? yes, simply because there will be fewer body and arm contortions to draw the gun. Simpler, more natural movements lead to smoother motion which leads to better speed. Smooth is not fast, smooth leads to fast.

Is AIWB so much faster? that's going to depend on the shooter, on how much they train and practice.

Does that speed level matter? I'm not so sure. It can certainly be an advantage but how many confrontations actually went to the guy that was fastest vs the guy that was smartest? I'm betting the latter happens a lot more often. AIWB, because the gun is within natural easy reach of the hands, can make it a lot easier to be smarter since it doesn't require the larger movements that come with at or behind the hip carry.

One of the better reasonings to go AIWB is put forward by Cecil in the following video:

P.S. one of my reasons for going AIWB, but not the only one, is that my pants don't get pulled down when the gun is in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a Dan Wesson Valor-bob duty coat 9mm getting paid off of layaway next month, what aiwb holster would be the most comfortable?

Ive carried a glock 17, glock 19, glock 43, s&w shield, and a 643 aiwb, and it has always been a painful experience. I grin and bear it because of the benefits(which are huge) but always call BS in my mind when I see someone talking about how comfortable it is. I keep on trucking, but I literally get bruises on my thigh when I aiwb...when it gets too sore, I swap to 4 o clock carry and keep on keeping on. Ive used 2 different holsters from dale fricke, some high noon, and random ebay ones, the minimalist kind that snaps nto a tlr-1, and the trigger guard with a clip kind, nothing seems to not suck (for me).

Long story short, I need a comfortable aiwb for a commander length 1911. I have some 4 o clock style leather Im still waiting on from 6 months ago (huge backlog but SUPER high quality)that is incredibly comfortable, but would like to try aiwb also.

Fairly thin, slight belly, not obese and not anorexic is body type, wear button-up shirts and jeans every day .

Thanks.
    I rolled my Carry 1911s in a Shaggy by Custom Carry Concepts. It was phenomenal and comfortable and I could do pretty much anything with my gun on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Can the Watson special be made with more grip tuck and a yaw pad? Or would the CDA-II be better since it has more adjustable features.
    The Watson Special does come with a removable yaw pad like the CDA-II. Leather wedges can be added behind the loops to creat more tuck with longer hardware. I don't supply these with the holster, but will help any customer out with what he may need. The Wat-Spec was designed for those needing something a little bit "less" than the CDA-II, leather wise.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    To the OP, what holsters have you found painful with compacts and subcompacts? Thin ones at that?
    Just the brands I listed, high noon, random ebay ones,2 from dale fricke.
    Last edited by Westtexasrancher; 01-15-2017 at 11:33 AM.

It might not be as specific a we make it out to be, but can be particular as far a body type. As stated by Wondering Beard, I've never found a holster when used at 3:30-4:00 that didn't pull down my pants even with a great holster and belt. It has more to do with my lack of @$$. Then comes the leather vs kydex comfort comparison. Thank goodness for the great options we have available. For me I've dialed it in to a SME for either a 5" 1911 or a Glock 19. And to be completely honest, I find the 5" to carry a little bit better/more comfortable. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I was concealing a 1911 with mag well or a g22 behind the hip, under a polo (rarely wear t shirts), and I knew plenty of guys doing the same. I had a 1.1 draw to be accurate, but was working on getting it lower, and knew guys with faster draws. I never switched to aiwb for concealment or speed, and am disappointed that the market thinks of it as fast.
    If you can truely conceal, as opposed to just cover a full size Glock behind your hip with a normal fitting t or polo, and make on demand draws and hit something in 1.1 from a normal fitting t or polo over that IWB, your experience is so out of the norm it frankly is irrelevant to most shooters.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You must be a really really big dude. I'd love to see a video of this.
    i used to wannabe

A desbiens iwb with a 5" 1911 made for one of the most concealable rigs ive owned.

I have little problem concealing a 17 at 3:00 in a polo. Tom Givens doesn't have a lot of issues either.

Nice gun op, you will dig it the most.

The SME is the most comfortable AIWB holster for a commander length gun that I have tried. The JMCK George is perfectly comfortable, though, and is a little easier to acquire. I like the CDA2 a lot but more for other guns.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List