Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most comfortable Aiwb holster for 1911

Most comfortable Aiwb holster for 1911

Hi guys,
    I have a Dan Wesson Valor-bob duty coat 9mm getting paid off of layaway next month, what aiwb holster would be the most comfortable?

Ive carried a glock 17, glock 19, glock 43, s&w shield, and a 643 aiwb, and it has always been a painful experience. I grin and bear it because of the benefits(which are huge) but always call BS in my mind when I see someone talking about how comfortable it is. I keep on trucking, but I literally get bruises on my thigh when I aiwb...when it gets too sore, I swap to 4 o clock carry and keep on keeping on. Ive used 2 different holsters from dale fricke, some high noon, and random ebay ones, the minimalist kind that snaps nto a tlr-1, and the trigger guard with a clip kind, nothing seems to not suck (for me).

Long story short, I need a comfortable aiwb for a commander length 1911. I have some 4 o clock style leather Im still waiting on from 6 months ago (huge backlog but SUPER high quality)that is incredibly comfortable, but would like to try aiwb also.

Fairly thin, slight belly, not obese and not anorexic is body type, wear button-up shirts and jeans every day .

Thanks.
    Last edited by Westtexasrancher; 01-14-2017 at 02:47 PM.

AIWB carry, for me, requires (a) close to a 12:00 carry and (b) higher-rise trousers than I had been wearing (Wranglers instead of Levi's, for example). These adjustments keep the muzzle off my thigh.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-14-2017 at 04:33 PM.

There is no BS to how comfortable my aiwb rigs are.

The issue is, I can't tell you what will work for you. Get an adjustable one, like the JM, and then try the different heights and cants. If you ask JM, he'll put an extra set of holes in the body, so you can go even higher than normal, if you like.

Also, I think there is a misunderstanding with aiwb in general. Lots of people say that that finding the right aiwb holster is very personal, more so than other holsters.

I don't find that to be true at all. What is true is that aiwb may or may not work for you at all, just like crossdraw or shoulder rigs don't work for me at all.

Assuming you're not in that category, I find aiwb holsters to be no more personal or hard to fit, than owb or iwb. The iwb or owb that works for you, may very well not work for me. When I carried that way, I had a box full (still do) of owb and iwb holsters that just didn't work for me. People have ALWAYS said that if you're serious, you'll end up with a box full of holsters that don't work, regardless of the position. Also regardless of the maker or quality.

Now, there are some issues with aiwb that you don't have to deal with iwb or owb, but those positions have issues that aiwb doesn't have to deal with. I think it's a wash, personally.

JM Custom Kydex or, if you prefer leather, JRC Custom Leather.

I suggest looking into the JRC Holsters AIWB/CDA 2.

It is quite well suited to 12:00 to 2:00 carry and has a loop attachment that allows for height and cant adjustment. It also comes with a sown in patch of velcro material and a small yaw pad to aid in comfort at the muzzle end.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Also, I think there is a misunderstanding with aiwb in general. Lots of people say that that finding the right aiwb holster is very personal, more so than other holsters.

I don't find that to be true at all. What is true is that aiwb may or may not work for you at all, just like crossdraw or shoulder rigs don't work for me at all.
    For comfort and ease of carry, I'll agree but when it comes to printing, subtle differences in the holster can make for huge differences in concealment that are entirely the result of body type. In my case, a 1/4 inch variance in ride height or in tuck-in changed things considerably. Also, there's the question of acquiring a proper grip when drawing; for some people the holster can ride so low that getting a good firing grip is difficult and that's mainly due to finger size, something obviously rather personal :-).

To the OP: Try JMCK, Keeper's, Custom Carry Concepts, and/or Dark Star Gear for kydex holsters. They make dedicated AIWB holsters and if you can't get comfortable with one of those, then maybe AIWB is wrong for you. There are some leather makers that make dedicated AIWB holsters too but I haven't kept up with them so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Either the CDA-II or the Watson Special would work for you depending on bodytype and clothing choices. From experience and customer feedback, the 1911 is one of the most comfortable to AIWB. I carry a 1911 5" in an early prototype CDA-II and it is quite comfortable, even while sitting.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    Either the CDA-II or the Watson Special would work for you depending on bodytype and clothing choices. From experience and customer feedback, the 1911 is one of the most comfortable to AIWB. I carry a 1911 5" in an early prototype CDA-II and it is quite comfortable, even while sitting.

Can the Watson special be made with more grip tuck and a yaw pad? Or would the CDA-II be better since it has more adjustable features.

I also think AIWB is very personal unlike SLG. I have found carrying the same gun in different holsters can be vastly different. I have also found that carrying different guns(but relatively the same size) in the same holster can be vastly different as well. I think different factors go into what works for people.

To the OP, what holsters have you found painful with compacts and subcompacts? Thin ones at that?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"I find aiwb holsters to be no more personal or hard to fit, than owb or iwb. The iwb or owb that works for you, may very well not work for me. When I carried that way, I had a box full (still do) of owb and iwb holsters that just didn't work for me. People have ALWAYS said that if you're serious, you'll end up with a box full of holsters that don't work, regardless of the position. Also regardless of the maker or quality."

Why is this hard to understand? Maybe I'm the dense one...

ALL holsters are personal. AIWB is not more personal than other styles of carry, it is AS personal.

EVP writes: "I have found carrying the same gun in different holsters can be vastly different. I have also found that carrying different guns(but relatively the same size) in the same holster can be vastly different as well. I think different factors go into what works for people."

Wondering beard says: "...when it comes to printing, subtle differences in the holster can make for huge differences in concealment that are entirely the result of body type. In my case, a 1/4 inch variance in ride height or in tuck-in changed things considerably. Also, there's the question of acquiring a proper grip when drawing; for some people the holster can ride so low that getting a good firing grip is difficult and that's mainly due to finger size, something obviously rather personal :-)."

Those two statements are exactly true for ALL types of holsters, guns and people.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.

User Tag List