Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting CA, carry questions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I became involved in the investigation of a jewelry store robbery in one of the bedroom communities, and their detective told me about the property crime spike, the de-criminalization of hypodermic needles, etc.

Thanks for the info. We're not planning to do Disney, but the Knott's Berry (sp?), maybe San Diego Zoo. They have two cars, not sure we'll rent one for around town stuff. I think we can probably use Uber or something, he only lives 4 miles from the Knott's Berry. I want to rent one for a jaunt over to AZ to see the Grand Canyon, though.
    AZ is pretty relaxed about CCW, even at the Grand Canyon - but watch out on the reservations. I don't know how it applies to LEOSA, but the various reservations each have their own rules, regulations, and procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I would be remiss not to point out the skyrocketing property crime rate in California, especially Auto Burglary in San Francisco. If you drive here, it'll likely be in a rental. They are all marked with a little barcode sticker in the window, which the crooks look for. We are getting a ton of guns taken out of cars these days, including in cable secured lockboxes.
    As for the "no guns" signs.....No force of law, except in Government Buildings, etc.
    Good to know... How things have changed. Don't make it down there much anymore, but in the 22 years of being a San Francisco resident, my car got broken into once when parked around 2nd and Mission. Followed the basic rule of don't leave anything tempting visible, stay away from "stupid places" which worked pretty well. I guess since property crimes are not prosecuted these days, why not break the window and see what's in there?
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I would be remiss not to point out the skyrocketing property crime rate in California, especially Auto Burglary in San Francisco. If you drive here, it'll likely be in a rental. They are all marked with a little barcode sticker in the window, which the crooks look for. We are getting a ton of guns taken out of cars these days, including in cable secured lockboxes.
    For security reasons I remove all window stickers on cars I rent. They can be a bitch to remove but I do it before I leave the rental car lot. Never had an issue when turning the car in although I quietly chuckle to myself watching the attendant walk around the car looking for a barcode to scan. There are usually 2-3 barcode stickers (windshield, rear window or side window) and "No Smoking" stickers.

Site Supporter
    I hate carrying in this state and God forbid if you had to use it, but the crime is so out of control, what choice do you have?

Hammertime
    I want to rent one for a jaunt over to AZ to see the Grand Canyon, though.
    Realize you are talking about an eight hour drive to see the Grand Canyon from Anaheim. One way. Sort of like Indy to Pennsylvania

I would leave the GC between 0600 and 0700 and arrive in West LA between 1400 and 1600.

It's worth the drive. Check into hotel rates and availability before you go. In fact, check today
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Realize you are talking about an eight hour drive to see the Grand Canyon from Anaheim. One way. Sort of like Indy to Pennsylvania
    Yup. Hell of a lot closer than Indy to the Grand Canyon, and probably my only chance to see it for quite awhile. 8 hours is nothing.

Visiting CA, carry questions

Yup. Hell of a lot closer than Indy to the Grand Canyon, and probably my only chance to see it for quite awhile. 8 hours is nothing.
    BBL, FWIW we like the Eastern-most end of the GC, Desert View. Our last visit, we camped in Flagstaff and came in up Rt 64.

Desert View has good facilities; gas station, good cafe, nice large General Store, and great views along the South Rim.

GC Village, in the middle of the Canyon, is of course where "everyone" gravitates; hotels, shopping and tourists abound. It is a huge complex.

The GC itself is pretty awesome. Definitely a bucket list item for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by RJ; 01-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I would leave the GC between 0600 and 0700 and arrive in West LA between 1400 and 1600.

It's worth the drive. Check into hotel rates and availability before you go. In fact, check today
    You may have to stay some distance from the GC to have a place to sleep, depending on if you will camp or need a hotel. Jacob Lake is beautiful, for example, but pricey, frequently you have to book ahead, and still a drive to get to the north rim.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-16-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You may have to stay some distance from the GC to have a place to sleep, depending on if you will camp or need a hotel. Jacob Lake is beautiful, for example, but pricey, frequently you have to book ahead, and still a drive to get to the north rim.
    Yep.

We have also stayed behind the Quality Inn Navaho Nation in Tuba City, in their RV Park. It was basic but clean. Their restaurant was ok. We were in our Class B RV, so did not see their rooms. Tuba City is ok for a night or two, but it is not that bad a drive to the GC.

I would prefer Flagstaff.

PS It's going to be pretty cold this time of year at the GC (highs going to be around freezing in Jan).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List