Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting CA, carry questions

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Visiting CA, carry questions

I'm going to be visiting family in Anaheim over spring break. I'm LEOSA qualified and intend to take a pistol. I've got a few questions.

1) Do "no gun signs" have the force of law, or is it like here where they can just tell you to leave.
    2) I'm not clear on the hollowpoint issue. It is illegal to possess, or only to sell, in certain areas? Is this a San Francisco only issue?
    3) Any unusual storage laws I should be aware of? Will a combination locked case with a cable be sufficient to meet any safe storage laws?

Thanks.

Make sure you take 10 Rd mags.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm going to be visiting family in Anaheim over spring break. I'm LEOSA qualified and intend to take a pistol. I've got a few questions.

1) Do "no gun signs" have the force of law, or is it like here where they can just tell you to leave.
    2) I'm not clear on the hollowpoint issue. It is illegal to possess, or only to sell, in certain areas? Is this a San Francisco only issue?
    3) Any unusual storage laws I should be aware of? Will a combination locked case with a cable be sufficient to meet any safe storage laws?

Thanks.
    Hollow points are a local issue in San Francisco not a state issue.

There is a list of CA approved locking devices.
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Hollow points are a local issue in San Francisco not a state issue.

There is a list of CA approved locking devices.
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist
    Ok, that says for sales and transfers. Is there a requirement for simply storing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Uncle Scotty (ex-LAPD SWAT) is pretty much the go-to guy for this.

Scott Reitz
    https://internationaltactical.com/scott.html
    310-446-1390

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    The San Francisco hollow point ban applies to certain brands and types of ammunition, but as a currently serving LEO you are exempt, as you are from the 10 round Magazine restriction in SF. The new law banning even pre-ban mags from private citizen hands also now allows retired LEOs to keep their hi-caps.....Though SF still restricts retired guys to 10 rounders.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I would be remiss not to point out the skyrocketing property crime rate in California, especially Auto Burglary in San Francisco. If you drive here, it'll likely be in a rental. They are all marked with a little barcode sticker in the window, which the crooks look for. We are getting a ton of guns taken out of cars these days, including in cable secured lockboxes.
    As for the "no guns" signs.....No force of law, except in Government Buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I would be remiss not to point out the skyrocketing property crime rate in California, especially Auto Burglary in San Francisco. If you drive here, it'll likely be in a rental. They are all marked with a little barcode sticker in the window, which the crooks look for. We are getting a ton of guns taken out of cars these days, including in cable secured lockboxes.
    As for the "no guns" signs.....No force of law, except in Government Buildings, etc.
    I became involved in the investigation of a jewelry store robbery in one of the bedroom communities, and their detective told me about the property crime spike, the de-criminalization of hypodermic needles, etc.

Thanks for the info. We're not planning to do Disney, but the Knott's Berry (sp?), maybe San Diego Zoo. They have two cars, not sure we'll rent one for around town stuff. I think we can probably use Uber or something, he only lives 4 miles from the Knott's Berry. I want to rent one for a jaunt over to AZ to see the Grand Canyon, though.

AMC is right on--particularly about the issues in SF...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I always keep at least one revolver handy for my trips. Especially California. Most of my training is either in Folsom or LA and I carry either a pair of J frames or a pair of LCRs.

User Tag List