Thread: NYPD Detective Steven McDonald, RIP

NYPD Detective Steven McDonald, RIP

I hope folks wont take it amiss if I share a link to an essay I saw on Instapundit. As the son of a cop, I had a sudden allergy attack.

Messenger of Forgiveness | City Journal
    It’s hard for me to imagine the New York City Police Department without Steven McDonald in it. I was 13-years old when a suspected bicycle thief fired three shots from a .22 caliber revolver and left McDonald for dead in Central Park on July 12, 1986. My father’s prayers—like those of every NYPD cop at the time—were answered when McDonald miraculously survived the attack.

Our heroes are usually a mixture of myth and caricature. Not so with McDonald, who despite being paralyzed from the neck down remained with the NYPD until his death this week from a heart attack at 59. “There were two ways to move forward,” McDonald said after the shooting. “And that was to love and forgive the boy who shot me, or as other people have done, condemn him, criticize him in the harshest terms for what he did to me and my family and friends. But God was there in our lives, guiding us, inspiring us.” Detective First Grade Steven McDonald was no myth. He was the real deal.

In the years following his injuries, the strength that McDonald and his family exhibited became an indelible part of the city—and beyond. He took an event that was out of his control and used it to carry out a mission that was within his control by spreading a message of forgiveness. If Steven McDonald could forgive the kid who paralyzed him, the rest of us could probably find a way to forgive those who commit much smaller offenses in our own lives. The humble, wheel-chair bound cop inspired presidents, cardinals, and world-famous athletes, yet most of his good works never made the front pages. Many who live in the New York area can recall when McDonald lent his support to a local cause, spoke to students at a school, or stood alongside his brothers and sisters in blue as the policing profession became a convenient foil for opportunistic politicians.
    GRTWT
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My wife and I are huge NY Rangers fans and Det. McDonald was a big part of the Rangers family. They did him proud last night with a fitting farewell and celebration of his life. (They lost the game but it didn't matter.)

I was still living and working as an LEO in NYC when he was gunned down in 1986. He was a great inspiration to many of us for the courage and determination he displayed during the years following the shooting.

RIP Detective. Your presence will be missed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My prayers are with his family and fellow officers. May his example of determination continue for many years to come.

We are diminished.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My wife and I are huge NY Rangers fans and Det. McDonald was a big part of the Rangers family. They did him proud last night with a fitting farewell and celebration of his life. (They lost the game but it didn't matter.)

I was still living and working as an LEO in NYC when he was gunned down in 1986. He was a great inspiration to many of us for the courage and determination he displayed during the years following the shooting.

RIP Detective. Your presence will be missed.

Absolutely could NOT be said any better. What an inspiration his life SHOULD be - to all humanity.

Rest in Peace, Detective.

User Tag List