Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEO ankle carry

Ref TDI in post #19:

I may be misinformed, but I thought these were designed for weak side employment in the event of a gun grab, the officer could cut the attacker off his gun without relinquishing grip with strong hand? This one is oriented to same hand as gun...am I missing something about this design or an alternative employment technique?
    Last edited by Willard; 01-15-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Ref TDI in post #19:

I may be misinformed, but I thought these were designed for weak side employment in the event of a gun grab, the officer could cut the attacker off his gun without relinquishing grip with strong hand? This one is oriented to same hand as gun...am I missing something about this design or an alternative employment technique?
    That's a random interwebz pic. It is designed for weak side carry. Not sure how he uses it but our guys carry it for weak side deployment (handle facing the other way than what's in the pic).
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Food for thought on knives, especially the TDI carry behind mag pouch, there is some nasty pics running around of some cops being stuck with their own knives. And it wasn't because a bag guy did it. They come loose out of the sheaths.

I also see guys with knives exposed on belts, external carriers etc. We are more likely to grapple with someone initially trying to control them and is a good way to get cut or stabbed by suspect being able to grab something merely retained by friction.

I recommend if folks are gonna carry exposed knives, as an instructor, make them carry a trainer and test that somewhere in your reality based training. A pig pile where if the role player feels the knife they grab it. Most likely a lot of cops won't realize the bad guy even got it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If I knew how imbed videos, I would put the scene from Dirty Harry in where he scotch tapes a switchblade to his calf here.

My personal experience is that weapons carried on the ankle are difficult to defend in a pile up and can often be dislodged. I always felt like I had two zones of concern I had to defend in a scrum, and ankles are often not within easy reach. I ended up moving back up weapons to concealed areas on my waist/torso and kept my TQ on my ankle ( my thoughts being that if I needed a tourniquet I would also not still be actively involved in a struggle).
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 01-16-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Polite Professional

[QUOTE=PD Sgt.;551678]If I knew how imbed videos, I would put the scene from Dirty Harry in where he scotch tapes a switchblade to his calf here.

That's funny. I just quoted that scene to one of my officers who was putting his knife in his boot. Kid had no idea what I was talking about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    In general you just click the Insert Video button on the editor tool bar (it's the next to last button on the quick edit toolbar and looks like two frames of a film strip) and paste in the video URL. Alternatively, you can just put the URL of the video inside [video] tags
    Thank you sir.
    Polite Professional

Have any of you looked at the JITKnife? There is a Panteo video about it: https://youtu.be/JshG04dPDsY

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Have any of you looked at the JITKnife? There is a Panteo video about it: https://youtu.be/JshG04dPDsY
    Reminds me a lot of my old Hideaway Knife.

http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php

I have had one of the old Ken Brock models forever, it must be 20 years old or more. It rides behind a lapel on a blazer.

Ankle carry is really sub optimal position as has been mentioned. This is really where the SOCP fills a niche.
    Easily slips in on centerline of your armor, under a uniform shirt, or behind a pouch on your belt. Not my favorite blade, but for a specific purpose and price point, it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    I carry a clinch pick on my inner belt. Centerline, handle towards my right side, at about a 30 deg down angle. I can tuck the handle up under the belt, but I usually just let it hang out. I've carried it this way for at least six months and it's worked very well. I'll put up a pic next time I'm at work.

User Tag List