Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO ankle carry

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I got my Griffes directly from Fred Perrin, (and one from Laci Szabo who was selling some of Fred's work back in Miami), who was the driving force behind the pattern. The others, even Ernie's, piggybacked on Fred's design and created some consternation in the knife world some years back. Much as I like Ernie and some of the other makers, I stick with Fred's work when it comes to anything related to the Griffe.

I'm not familiar with Joe Watson's work personally though I've heard his name a few times.
    You are absolutely correct about the inspiration for those blades.

I'll try and get some pics up of the Little Bird. I'm currently wrangling a 4-year-old granddaughter and a GSD at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    A few of the pics that I posted in the fixed blade gallery are Watson's, I posted some in other threads too. Dagga Boy and others have done so as well. I firmly believe they're top class and that you will appreciate them if you get your hands on one.

P.S. I like my Emerson version La Griffe, but it is a limited design (Emerson's not Perrin's).
    Thanks, WB. I'll give the search function a whirl in a bit.

In the knife world there's very little that's new under the sun but I felt bad for Fred when his feathers got ruffled and others were getting credit for his design without any attribution or approbation. Wasn't my fight, of course, I'm just (sometimes pigheadedly) loyal to those I call friends.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, WB. I'll give the search function a whirl in a bit.

In the knife world there's very little that's new under the sun but I felt bad for Fred when his feathers got ruffled and others were getting credit for his design without any attribution or approbation. Wasn't my fight, of course, I'm just (sometimes pigheadedly) loyal to those I call friends.
    Agreed.

When I first started at my current agency back in '99 BUGs weren't allowed. I carried this on my ankle for a couple years til BUGs were authorized. The ankle rig is red neck engineered. A Galco Ankle Glove for a seecamp that I cut the holster off of and zip tied the knife sheath to. Worked well. I put the ankle glove on then pulled my sock up over it.

Name:  IMG_2816.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  78.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

There's several othere locations that he could use that are preferable to ankle carry, in my opinion. A small push dagger behind a double mag pouch hides nicely or can be secreted elsewhere on the duty belt as preferred.

Off side pocket carry may be an option if items on his duty belt don't interfere with access. The Raven pocket shields are a great way to pocket carry.

Edited to add that a tuckable IWB sheath attached to the underbelt would be pretty invisible but accessible quickly. Vest compatibility would be a consideration.
    Last edited by drummer; 01-14-2017 at 05:18 PM.

ALOT guys at work carry these TDI Kabar knives. They have a sheath that goes on your inner belt. They wear them so theyre tucked in behind something on their off side, usually mag pouches or their taser.

https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Enforc.../dp/B003IXYW3M
    Last edited by Lon; 01-14-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and suggestions.

My inclination is to agree that ankle carry doesn't seem ideal. Being a younger guy, I doubt he's going to invest in a new knife, though I will suggest to him he look at a neck knife of some sort.

If anyone has some more specifics on waistline carry options (he insists his belt is "full") I'd be happy to provide more details over PM. Thanks again.

Tucking something behind a pouch seems like a good option.

Random interwebz photo of TDI knife:

Name:  IMG_2817.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  57.0 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.

I carry a clinch pick on my inner belt. Centerline, handle towards my right side, at about a 30 deg down angle. I can tuck the handle up under the belt, but I usually just let it hang out. I've carried it this way for at least six months and it's worked very well. I'll put up a pic next time I'm at work.

User Tag List