Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO ankle carry

LEO ankle carry

I have a friend who is a rookie cop who is interested in carrying a defensive blade (im thinking it's a nimvarus, fixed) on his ankle.

He insists he has no room on his waist, and vest and pockets won't work for him either. Are there any solid options for knife ankle carry that folks here would recommend? Any other suggestions?

I'd highly recommend not carrying an ankle based blade.

Better to find a spot on his waist...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I spent my first several years in LE with a Cold Steel Master Tanto on my ankle in an Eagle Ankle cuff case to offset my back up on the other ankle. In that time, you simply did not carry a fixed blade...so discretion was important. I also carried a Cold Steel large shinobu on my belt in a basket weave pouch as required by policy. This was replaced fairly soon with a big left handed Spyderco police folder in my support pocket that got used regularly. I carried that Tanto on my ankle for long enough to wear the rubber off the grip. It was black coated by my gunsmith and wrapped in 550 cord on the handle. When I went to bike patrol, it was obviously a no go, and that is where the Strider DB really came from developmentally.
    Ankle carry served a purpose at the time, but better options came along. It worked, and I found it viable but not optimal.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I have a friend who is a rookie cop who is interested in carrying a defensive blade (im thinking it's a nimvarus, fixed) on his ankle.

He insists he has no room on his waist, and vest and pockets won't work for him either. Are there any solid options for knife ankle carry that folks here would recommend? Any other suggestions?
    For the knife yes: A variation of the HiTS Ti as sold by Blue Line Gear; slim, light and very effective. HiTS Skeleton Ti

I prefer the cord wrap myself as I can easily imagine this knife twisting in the hand, but if one wants slim and light for ankle carry, this knife would be top notch.

For the carry system: I have no clue. I thought for a while that having a knife at my ankle could work well for an entangled fight that ends on the ground, but that ends up both being a truly last ditch weapon and relying on being on one's back, or having plenty of time, in order to get to the blade. Better than nothing, I guess, but far from being optimum.

Somewhere on the belt is by far better but if your friend really can't find a spot on the belt (The Nimravus is kinda large and he might want to look for smaller blades that can easily be just as effective), then neck carry is next best.

P.S. Wasn't there a holster/sheath rig that was developped by Safariland where a Stryder DB was held vertical in front of the holster?

I carried an ankle gun but not a knife.

Aside from a folding knife clipped to the pocket, I carried an unobtrusive neck knife under my shirt for many years on the job and no one was the wiser.

Here are a few examples:

Name:  perrin tribal griffe.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  Perrin2.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  Griffe2.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  griffe3 - Edited.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  griffe4 - Edited.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  griffe5.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  49.7 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Better ways to carry a blade but Ken Null has a great ankle holster specific to a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    ...a big left handed Spyderco police folder...
    Nice to hear. Didn't know anybody but me who ever owned one. (I got mine back in '93 at the Left Handed Store on Pier 39 before Spyderco started making resin handles for folding knives or ambidextrous anything.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I carried an ankle gun but not a knife.

Aside from a folding knife clipped to the pocket, I carried an unobtrusive neck knife under my shirt for many years on the job and no one was the wiser.

Here are a few examples:

I carry a Joe Watson Little Bird as a neck knife every day. It was a very kind gift from Joe and Dagga Boy.

While you are saving up for something nice, here is a cheap interim knock-off of an Emerson Lagriffe:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-kn-...eck-knife.html

The Emerson is obviously better steel, I have one of those as well. Joe has not made the Little Bird in years, I wish he would have time enough to make another run.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I carry a Joe Watson Little Bird as a neck knife every day. It was a very kind gift from Joe and Dagga Boy.

While you are saving up for something nice, here is a cheap interim knock-off of an Emerson Lagriffe:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-kn-...eck-knife.html

The Emerson is obviously better steel, I have one of those as well. Joe has not made the Little Bird in years, I wish he would have time enough to make another run.
    I got my Griffes directly from Fred Perrin, (and one from Laci Szabo who was selling some of Fred's work back in Miami), who was the driving force behind the pattern. The others, even Ernie's, piggybacked on Fred's design and created some consternation in the knife world some years back. Much as I like Ernie and some of the other makers, I stick with Fred's work when it comes to anything related to the Griffe.

I'm not familiar with Joe Watson's work personally though I've heard his name a few times.
    Last edited by blues; 01-14-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I got my Griffes directly from Fred Perrin, (and one from Laci Szabo who was selling some of Fred's work back in Miami), who was the driving force behind the pattern. The others, even Ernie's, piggybacked on Fred's design and created some consternation in the knife world some years back. Much as I like Ernie and some of the other makers, I stick with Fred's work when it comes to anything related to the Griffe.

I'm not familiar with Joe Watson's work personally though I've heard his name a few times.
    A few of the pics that I posted in the fixed blade gallery are Watson's, I posted some in other threads too. Dagga Boy and others have done so as well. I firmly believe they're top class and that you will appreciate them if you get your hands on one.

P.S. I like my Emerson version La Griffe, but it is a limited design (Emerson's not Perrin's).
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 01-14-2017 at 12:01 PM.

User Tag List