Thread: M9A3 - slide doesn't cycle when firing/hand cycle

M9A3 - slide doesn't cycle when firing/hand cycle

I just got a brand new M9A3. After disassembling, cleaning and reassembling, I noticed the following issue:
    1. I am unable to cycle the slide over 50% of the time. The ?locking block? gets stuck and doesn't fall down. As a result the slide can't be pulled back. If I pull back the slide slightly, pause for a second, the block will fall, and allow me to pull the slide back.
    2. During firing the pistol doesn't cycle. I am assuming this is due to the locking block being stuck.
    Did I miss something in reassembly?

Here is a link to an album with a video illustrating the issue and some photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/UYv1GS7MVTKpi8jf7

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I just got a brand new M9A3. After disassembling, cleaning and reassembling, I noticed the following issue:
    1. I am unable to cycle the slide over 50% of the time. The ?locking block? gets stuck and doesn't fall down. As a result the slide can't be pulled back. If I pull back the slide slightly, pause for a second, the block will fall, and allow me to pull the slide back.
    2. During firing the pistol doesn't cycle. I am assuming this is due to the locking block being stuck.
    Did I miss something in reassembly?

Here is a link to an album with a video illustrating the issue and some photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/UYv1GS7MVTKpi8jf7

Thank you!
    With the barrel removed, when you push on the locking block plunger, does the locking block move up and down?

I found the issue, when the pistol was disassembled (initially not by me), the locking block plunger/pin fell out. Since I am new to Berettas, I didn't realize this part was needed. I was able to find the locking block plunger inside the box, but no pin. With the plunger installed, the slide cycles normally.

That plunger is what allows the barrel to unlock from the slide...gotta get that fixed. Part of your checks when you clean it should be, place the barrel with the locking block on top, depress the plunger and the locking block should pivot up and down.
    Last edited by Redhat; 01-14-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Thank you! Is it possible for the plunger pin (the pin that secures the plunger) to work itself loose from the barrel?

No it shouldn't. In fact I've never seen it happen before. I have seen the locking block fall out when the guns are being cleaned or disassembled.

Hate to say it but I'd take it to a qualified Beretta gunsmith and have it looked at or contact Beretta.

Certainly possible. Heck, it's possible that it left the factory without the pin installed to begin with! Wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen if that were the case.

ETA: Possible if either the barrel or pin were out of spec. Unlikely otherwise.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 01-14-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

The problem with the roll pin is if it fell out something is out of spec or they used the wrong size...or it's the pin itself. It should have a tight spring fit...and I was taught not to re-use one if it was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Thank you! Is it possible for the plunger pin (the pin that secures the plunger) to work itself loose from the barrel?
    It's not an "easy" part to remove (need hammer and punch. And you generally replace the pin afterwards)... Are you sure someone didn't play with this before you got it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigfan,
    Unfortunately I am unsure, but I am hoping that Beretta simply missed the pin. Luckily it's available in Brownells and will be here at the end of next week.

User Tag List