Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Just realized that this thread is over 2 years old, but did not catch whether OP ever bought a bag------might not need any more advice or input at this stage?

FWIW, I've really enjoyed my 5.11 RUSH 12 for the past several years as a compact yet versatile and highly organizable everything bag. Just returned from almost two weeks overseas using it to store & carry a wide range of stuff all over. I own it in black, so the MOLLE webbing is not that noticeable, and I add an innocuous patch and pens to the exterior to render it fairly non-tactical in appearance. Tons of pockets/compartments. Very rugged. Still looks new after about 5 years of moderate use.

Again, maybe it's a moot point at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Just realized that this thread is over 2 years old, but did not catch whether OP ever bought a bag------might not need any more advice or input at this stage?

FWIW, I've really enjoyed my 5.11 RUSH 12 for the past several years as a compact yet versatile and highly organizable everything bag. Just returned from almost two weeks overseas using it to store & carry a wide range of stuff all over. I own it in black, so the MOLLE webbing is not that noticeable, and I add an innocuous patch and pens to the exterior to render it fairly non-tactical in appearance. Tons of pockets/compartments. Very rugged. Still looks new after about 5 years of moderate use.

I for one am enjoying the continued conversation, regardless of whether the OP found an answer to his problem.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 08-05-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Molle is a no-go for me regardless of colors, but I hadn't given 5.11 a look in quite some time and they do appear to have a few non-ninja-fied packs I'm looking over now, but the weight appears to be an issue with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I for one am enjoying the continued conversation, regardless of whether the OP found an answer to his problem.
    as the OP, I am too!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    as the OP, I am too!
    Please tell me that you did actually acquire something eons ago.

Please tell me that you did actually acquire something eons ago.
    Summary of events to date:
    1. Started out with REI 25L bag that's discontinued. Thought I wanted a dedicated pistol pouch, and more internal division.
    2. Tried Vertx EDC Ready Pack 1.0 (there's now a 2.0) and found it chafed and the weight was not ideal. link to post.
    3. Got the Alpha One Niner Recon Nine (there's now a 2.0 of this one too). it's proved too heavy, and the straps are "weird". link to post.
    4. basically back to using the REI any time I actually need to keep the bag on for long, and using the A19 only for situations where the bag doesn't have to stay on my back all day.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Molle is a no-go for me regardless of colors, but I hadn't given 5.11 a look in quite some time and they do appear to have a few non-ninja-fied packs I'm looking over now, but the weight appears to be an issue with them as well.
    I was going to ask if you looked at something like their "COVRT18" backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I was going to ask if you looked at something like their "COVRT18" backpack.
    There’s a lot to like about that bag. Ticks a lot of the boxes. Only real issue is the weight.

Evidently Tom Bihn is updating their Synapse pack to a new design called the Synik which will come in 22 and 30 liter sizes (vs the 19 and 25 of the Synapse).

Product announcement

Video comparing Synik 30 to Synapse 25

The idea of the 22 Synik is pretty appealing, but at nearly $300...

The Osprey Quasar is another contender. Has the waterbottle pockets, which are a tighter mesh so they stay flat when empty, has the bungee on the outside which I really like having, has the eyeglass/small pocket on the top, and weighs only 1.68 lbs for a 28L pack (a bit larger than I care for but doesn't appear to be bulky). Looks like the internal organization may work out well also.

User Tag List