Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

I didn't know Pelican was making packs...
    https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...-protect/mpb25

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I didn't know Pelican was making packs...
    https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...-protect/mpb25
    You going to dive in and scoop one up?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    You going to dive in and scoop one up?
    I thought I was, but it doesn't look like they have water bottle pockets, and I use those a lot.

I'm still relatively happy with the bag I wound up with, but the things I though would suck about it (excess weight, added bulk of gun-specific bag design limiting storage of other items) turned out to be accurate.

I've come to the conclusion that I like having the option of a gun-pouch in a bag, but that for my normal dad bag use that option just means the bag compromises in too many other areas.

So I'm back on the prowl for a dad bag, but I don't want any secret gun compartment bullshit.

I got myself a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II that I'm pretty happy with.

I hated the Vertx EDC bag.

It didn't stay zipped, the compartments were clumsy, it wasn't water proof enough, It was a tough getting access to the things I needed, etc.

My favorite back, the Driftsun PVC roll-top bag in 22L size is no longer made, but there are equivalents: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQ6GVCG...07DQ6GVCG&th=1

What do I like about it?

1 Big compartment - super easy to open/close. Waterproof: great for trips to the beach or trips to the range in the rain or trips to San Francisco dealing with that crap weather. Spilled beer at the Berghoof in O'Hare? No problem, just wipe that off the exterior. Commuter spills coffee and soaks everything on the airport shuttle? No problem, just wipe that off the exterior.

It isn't fancy. It is $30.00. @Mr_White got me hooked on this thing. So worth it. It has become "indispensable kit".

http://instagram.com/p/BjyjReFHsbO/

Saw a discount on LEAF gear so I bought a courier 15. Will report when it arrives.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So I've pretty much fully reverted to the old REI for anything more than running around town at home. We recently went to Norway for 10 days and the Newport Folk Fest and in both cases knowing I'd be wearing the pack a lot I found myself unpacking the "gun bag" new hotness and putting everything into the old REI. The 1 lbs difference just really adds up over long days, and despite the attempts on the back of the new back to allow for airflow it kind of has a reverse effect and just winds up feeling hotter. Plus the attachment method at the top of the straps means every time you pick the bag up you wind up having to untangle them, which gets old. Especially since so many other things about the bag have me wanting to set it down all the time.

it looks like they have a "version 2.0" now but nothing I see in the pictures leads me to believe it's improved any for my purposes, and it's even heavier than the last version! It looks like they re-named the OG version and still sell it too.

So I'm back on the hunt, and this time I think I'm sticking with non-gun-fag versions only. The ninja parts just add weight, as I feared.

The LEAF bag turnes into my daily bag and I got a MR 3 zip to try for a baby bag, pretty minimal space...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The LEAF bag turnes into my daily bag and I got a MR 3 zip to try for a baby bag, pretty minimal space...

The MR packs are intriguing to me. I don't quite "get" the three-zip thing but I think I'm sort of figuring it out. But they are heavy for my needs. Their 21L is still like close to 3 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The MR packs are intriguing to me. I don't quite "get" the three-zip thing but I think I'm sort of figuring it out. But they are heavy for my needs. Their 21L is still like close to 3 lbs.
    Their everyday bags are a lot lighter than the tactical ones. The 3zip has two zippers that open the top and then one zipper that opens the length of the bag. All three zippers can operate independently so you can access the main compartment without opening the top. Really like the design but wish it was bigger.

User Tag List