Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Hammertime
    My bag junkie kid who has much better taste than me said that if you aren’t a camera nerd you are better off with a Nomatic bag.

Their Travel Pack 20-30l looks intriguing. I need a pack that will convert to a belt and their removable belt is pretty killer.

https://www.nomatic.com/products/the...ic-travel-pack

But the Tom Bihn sits unused while the CamelBak still gets the nod daily.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    My bag junkie kid who has much better taste than me said that if you aren’t a camera nerd you are better off with a Nomatic bag.

Their Travel Pack 20-30l looks intriguing. I need a pack that will convert to a belt and their removable belt is pretty killer.

https://www.nomatic.com/products/the...ic-travel-pack

But the Tom Bihn sits unused while the CamelBak still gets the nod daily.
    The Nomatic Travel Pack just went $100 off and is bundled with the $25 waist strap today. Ordered one.

Looks like today only.

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 09-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Rob_s, how many kids do you have? Just curious. I used to carry all the same stuff around (bug spray, sunscreen, sharpies, etc.) everywhere with my first kid. By kid 3 all that stuff stays in the vehicle if I bring it at all. Turns out, for me anyway, life is way easier and outings are more enjoyable/less stressful not lugging all that crap around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    Rob_s, how many kids do you have? Just curious. I used to carry all the same stuff around (bug spray, sunscreen, sharpies, etc.) everywhere with my first kid. By kid 3 all that stuff stays in the vehicle if I bring it at all. Turns out, for me anyway, life is way easier and outings are more enjoyable/less stressful not lugging all that crap around.
    two girls, currently 9 and 12.

what makes you think that stuff is for them?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Pretty funny, the updated version of my current backpack just won the Carryology award for best daily carry.

https://www.carryology.com/projects/...-winners-2020/

I think they are out of their tree that a 4.5 lbs bag is a great everyday. Although I suppose most of the owners are carrying it the 20ft from the house to the car and ether 50ft from the car to their desk.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Pretty funny, the updated version of my current backpack just won the Carryology award for best daily carry.

https://www.carryology.com/projects/...-winners-2020/

I think they are out of their tree that a 4.5 lbs bag is a great everyday. Although I suppose most of the owners are carrying it the 20ft from the house to the car and ether 50ft from the car to their desk.
    Those are some really weak write-ups on their choices.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Those are some really weak write-ups on their choices.
    that's just the summary of the results. you can search the site and find more detailed reviews of all those bags. There are things about this newer version that I'd absolutely like to have over the way mine is designed, but I'm not going with a bag that 4+lbs empty.
    https://www.carryology.com/reviews-2...de-1-5-review/

Hammertime
    Short review of the Nomatic Travel Pack after living with it for a few weeks. Have walked with it for 50-75 miles and ridden bike with it probably 6 hours.

Overall I think it is a winner. Durability to be determined. I came to this pack after about ten years with a Camelbak Linchpin 32.5L. I wanted a pack that had similar size, good comfort while walking, and had a convertible waist strap for riding a bike. I don't use the waist strap while walking. The Linchpin has been hard to replace and I have tried with a GR1 and Tom Bihn Synik.

The Nomatic Travel pack may be the new bag.

Lots of pockets and organization
    Room for a water bladder
    Comfortable rucking up to about 17 lbs which is all I have used.
    Waist belt works okay for riding a bike, connection system is brilliant.
    Styling.

Negatives:
    I don't know, but it seems frail. I don't think this bag will hold up over time and use. Time will tell.
    Too much organization makes it hard to find stuff. It's a bit busy. It is kind of the opposite of the GR1 in this respect.
    Heavy due to so many pockets and zippers.
    Waist strap way too wide with useless pockets that will dig in to side if they ever are used for anything.

Overall I am happy with the bag but I got it on sale which makes a huge difference. Compared to a similar priced Tom Bihn, the quality difference is palpable. I just didn't like the TB bag's ability to convert to waist straps.

User Tag List