Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

We just got back from a trip to Africa. I was warned by several folks that my Maxpedition Malaga that I use for my EDC bag would cause issues when going through the various security checkpoints, not to mention drawing unwanted attention while in London for a day. I now wish I had stuck to my guns and used the Malaga, because it's a great bag for my current usage and would have served well for my travel requirements.

Instead I used a Vertx EDC Essentials I had horse traded for. The bag stored everything I needed while traveling and while on game drives. The zippers worked fine, it protected all my doodads but I didn't really care for it.

The shoulder pad was never where I needed it to be. The strap would twist and bind, and the adjustment system was poorly designed IMO. The vertical pocket supposedly for a water bottle didn't work with a 1L battle very well. The MOLLE panel didn't work with the clips on my DPx HEST sheath, which works on every other piece of MOLLE gear I have tried it with. In short, the bag was OK, it served the purpose but I wasn't happy with it as I ended up constantly readjusting it to get it to remain comfortable.

Name:  7D18C750-E72C-45BC-AFF1-666175F21520.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  61.6 KB
    Travel configuration.

Name:  66F8285D-5168-41D3-85E0-47D30A21F349.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.3 KB
    Game drive configuration
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wheeler; 08-04-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I don't know why it included that third image at the bottom. I thought I had only uploaded two pictures. Apologies.
    Julius Caesar

I'm glad you posted that...

Something else I've been considering is a sling bag, perhaps as an alternative to the backpacks, particularly when it's hot out since I often find the backpack half or even a quarter full but I bring it just to have the small essentials.

It looks like they range from the small (perhaps slightly girly) to the full tac-tard to the mini-messenger. I saw a lot of fanny packs at the Folk Fest but most were carried like a sling and didn't look terribly comfortable or well designed to I think that saves me from that embarrassment.

Some current contenders in the backpack realm...

Tom Bihn Synapse 19 - $200 - 27oz

Tom Bihn Synapse 25 - $210 - 32oz

Arc'Teryx Mantis 26 - $149 - 14.5oz

TAD Axiom 18 - $245 - 35.2oz (seems heavy given volume)

TAD Axiom 24 - $325 - 37.6oz (seems heavy given volume)

Sling bags always feel unbalanced to me compared to a small backpack. I hate walking with stuffed pockets, so for less-than-small-backpack stuff a fanny/lumbar pack works well for me. I’ve got one with two bottle pockets that’s great for long dog walks: a bottle for each of us, small bowl, bags, snacks, first aid, etc.
    It probably helps to be living where being dressed for a hike doesn’t get a second glance.

I’ve become a big fan of the Vertx bags. They have everything I need and can be customized inside using their Velcro accessories. Lots of 25% off discount codes out there too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The axiom looks nice but I dont know if the TAD price is worth it and I have a lot of TAD shit...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm glad you posted that...

Something else I've been considering is a sling bag, perhaps as an alternative to the backpacks, particularly when it's hot out since I often find the backpack half or even a quarter full but I bring it just to have the small essentials.

It looks like they range from the small (perhaps slightly girly) to the full tac-tard to the mini-messenger. I saw a lot of fanny packs at the Folk Fest but most were carried like a sling and didn't look terribly comfortable or well designed to I think that saves me from that embarrassment.
    My Malaga is a full blown tactard bag. I still wish I had taken it.

On the flip side I used a 5.11 Covert Roll Top bag on the return trip home and it performed quite well for getting through the various airports and security checkpoints.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I’ve become a big fan of the Vertx bags. They have everything I need and can be customized inside using their Velcro accessories. Lots of 25% off discount codes out there too.
    yeah if you read back through the thread I tried one of their bags and didn't like it. I have a love/hate with Vertx in general. They are a 90% company in my opinion, meaning their products hit 90% of the keys that I want but the remaining 10% are massive fails that either make the whole thing no good or massively annoying to deal with (like their goddamn shorts/pants sizing where I wear a 34/32 in almost every other brand but apparently need a 36/30 troll pant from Vertx).

threadjack, but I think they are a great example of what happens when enthusiasts start companies without the history of product development that a Jansport, REI, etc. come into the game with.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    yeah if you read back through the thread I tried one of their bags and didn't like it. I have a love/hate with Vertx in general. They are a 90% company in my opinion, meaning their products hit 90% of the keys that I want but the remaining 10% are massive fails that either make the whole thing no good or massively annoying to deal with (like their goddamn shorts/pants sizing where I wear a 34/32 in almost every other brand but apparently need a 36/30 troll pant from Vertx).

threadjack, but I think they are a great example of what happens when enthusiasts start companies without the history of product development that a Jansport, REI, etc. come into the game with.
    I'm with you on the pants. I had forgotten that you tried one of their bags.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List