Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    looks like that pre-order is still active. I'm damn tempted, I just can't decide between the blue, grey, or possibly even green.

Attachment 48027 Attachment 48028 Attachment 48029

The grey one is nice(I don't need a new bag! I don't need a new bag!)
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    I would go 30 and grey. You don't have to fill it, but you cannot add more room. 13 x20 x 8 on the 30L.

The 22 is 11.4 x 16 x 7.1. That seems to consign the 22L bag to EDC only without the added ability to do 1-3 night one bag travel with the 30 L.

As I have said before Tom Bihn is like the Tom Givens of bags. Great stuff, learned from the masters, constant innovation. A well thought out rationale for everything.

If I was a road warrior, I suspect that something from Tom Bihn would be a go to component of the system.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I would go 30 and grey. You don't have to fill it, but you cannot add more room. 13 x20 x 8 on the 30L.

The 22 is 11.4 x 16 x 7.1. That seems to consign the 22L bag to EDC only without the added ability to do 1-3 night one bag travel with the 30 L.
    EDC is all I'll ever do with this. I'm not interested in "minimalist" travel stuff like that with a bag like this. I'd be looking for a completely different setup in that situation.

the fact that the Synik is still over 2.5 lbs gives me more pause than the cost, frankly. I don't want to push that even further in the wrong direction. In Florida, it seems every ounce of weight of pack leads to another gallon of sweat and an exponential increase in the annoyance and aggravation.

Maybe I just need to stay with the Synapse. Same weight as the Synik 22 but same size as Synik 30.

Synik 22 Dimensions: 11.4" (w) x 16.0" (h) x 7.1" - 9.4" (d)
    Synapse 25 Dimensions: 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 9" (d)
    Synik 30 Dimensions: 13.4" (w) x 20.0" (h) x 8.0" - 10.8" (d)

Like a lot of people, I have a fair amount of luggage, some of which I rarely use and some of which gets used quite often. As either needs change or new requirements occur, adaption is necessary. Once again, that is where I found myself.

After a few weeks of travelling where TSA selected my luggage for secondary screening on both the outgoing and return legs making for some hurried travels and a few shortened layovers due to weather and/or maintenance issues, I opted for a new bag. At first I thought it was just me, but almost everyone was being selected for secondary screening, and it took twenty minutes to clear security after first walking through the metal detector. It took me almost ninety minutes from start (get in line) to finish on the return leg due to the number of people receiving secondary screenings. The items of concern in my luggage were Apple Lightning cables and an unopened package of baby wipes. I was also checked for explosives residue. My best guess is there is some intelligence which resulted in the increased vigilance as I have Global Entry, do not look like the "typical terrorist", and know how to pack.

For the last several years, I have traveled with a five-inch Zero Halliburton case for my laptop and business meeting needs and a small roller bag for clothes and toiletries. The briefcase has been in use for more than thirty years and has traveled to and on four continents as well as an untold number of domestic trips. It has even been pressed into service as a seat on a factory floor. About ten years ago, my wife modified the interior to hold a laptop sleeve. All in all, it is a very secure piece of luggage, albeit a heavy one at almost eight pounds empty. With a laptop, charger, charging cables, spare batteries, headphones, flashlights, eyeglasses, small first-aid kit, and personal items, it weighs about sixteen pounds. It does not have a shoulder strap, so one hand is dedicated to the briefcase. That leaves the other hand for the roller bag. In a pinch, one hand can control both the briefcase and the roller bag, but it is not comfortable.

The tipping point for a new bag was the overhead bin being too small for my roller bag on some of the newer planes, causing me to gate check the bag, and my briefcase not fitting under the aisle seat. The briefcase issue is due to the addition of seat electronics (touch screen and USB charging) and narrower seats taking needed width. So it ended up in the overhead bin, meaning access during flight was problematic.

In any event, I opted for a Synik 30, with two use cases. I like the squarer (versus usual backpacks with tapered tops) form factor, the new straps, the clam shell opening for both TSA and my access, the interior straps, and the integral laptop sleeve. For a short (two-day or less) trip, the Synik can hold my laptop as well as two changes of clothing. The laptop can be removed via a side entry opening, so it is suitable for customer visits. It is also five pounds lighter. For longer trips (up to one week) or trips where laptop security is paramount, the briefcase will go along with the Synik or I can use a roller bag with the Synik if I am willing to gate check. For longer trips, I tend to use hotel dry-cleaning services, so the Synik should cover almost all of my clothing needs. I will also be using the Synik for EDC to and from the office, especially in inclement weather as opposed to my current Coach brief bag.

Hammertime
    looks like that pre-order is still active. I'm damn tempted, I just can't decide between the blue, grey, or possibly even green.
    I am still digging the Synik 30. Quite a bit. I have probably walked 50 miles with it at this point. Highly recommended.

Synik 22 Dimensions: 11.4" (w) x 16.0" (h) x 7.1" - 9.4" (d)
    Synapse 25 Dimensions: 13.4" (w) x 20" (h) x 9" (d)
    Synik 30 Dimensions: 13.4" (w) x 20.0" (h) x 8.0" - 10.8" (d)
    Pretty sure this is the bag I have now that I'm not happy with in the long run. Interesting to note...
    Dimensions: 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 10" top) x 18.5" (H) x 6" (D)

so it falls kind of between the Synik 22 and Synapse 25/Synik 30. I don't know that want something bigger than what I have now...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I have so many (too many) backpacks that I’m happy with but I won’t lie, you guys are tempting me to buy one of these things.
    I get that. It isn’t ground breaking but I love the non tactical vibe it sends off.

Just make sure your drink in the water bottle pocket doesn’t leak. It goes all over everything in the bag when it does.

Hammertime
    After 2.5 months with the Synik 30 I finally got to ride a bike with it. I used the waist strap for the first time in this application as parts of my ride are pretty rough and I like the stability.

It worked I would say, okay. But I didn’t like it and I can tell the bag is really not designed with a waist strap in mind. The base of the bag is simply too wide and the the bag felt overly big. It would be fine for smoother city biking. Plus I like a hydration bladder when riding if I can get one and this bag does not allow for
    that. The water bottle pouch is extremely secure though.

The experience of riding to work in winter did convince me I absolutely need a 30L pack, mainly to carry all the layers I shed for the trip home. A smaller pack may work in other seasons.

It isn’t the do all bag I was hoping for although it performs pretty brilliantly for walking. I realized the same removable waist strap will work on the old Linchpin, so I am swapping the gear back to that bag for a season. We’ll see if I miss this expensive very high quality Bihn back. The Linchpin seems trimmer, but it’s just overly busy with straps everywhere.

The Synik shows absolutely no wear after two and a half months use.

Pretty sure this is the bag I have now that I'm not happy with in the long run. Interesting to note...
    Dimensions: 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 10" top) x 18.5" (H) x 6" (D)

so it falls kind of between the Synik 22 and Synapse 25/Synik 30. I don't know that want something bigger than what I have now...
    Packed for a weekend yesterday in the current bag. Pretty much convinced me that I probably need two packs (at least). When we get home I’m going to look in the shop at all the ninja-shit I have stored. I think I may have an Eagle aiii that’s probably ten or fifteen years old I’m curious to play with.

Also in the post-Covid environment, I’m somewhat interested to test the limits of my ability to work remotely, which may make me explore some other bag options. If I can leave Thursday night to go spend a fri-mon at a private beach house with my family and work remotely while there, why not? I would want a pack that can carry a weekends worth of close and my 16x10x1 laptop and iPad Pro, and some minimal accessories along with my clothes and toothbrush and I should be good.

It’s really kind of annoying that the Synik 30, which to me is a large bag, can’t accommodate my laptop

Maximum device dimensions for the laptop compartment:
    14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm

Decided to look at the Bihn Brain Bag. Seems like a big nope

User Tag List