Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Not a ton of organization and not the most comfortable straps for hours of walking BUT it's small, tough, and can be packed and stowed easily when not in use. I always keep this in my luggage when I travel for day trips / commuting. It's also only $60.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/index-15-backpack

Walked 6 miles in 6 hours at Epcot yesterday. 85-90 degrees, showers from time to time.

The weight of the bag is a problem. And the attempt at airflow in the back of the pack is a fail. And the straps are way over done, to the point that I actually wound up with a bruise on my left inner bicep due to rubbing. I kind of worried about the strap design when I was shopping, had forgotten about that worry after buying, and then was reminded of my concerns when I started getting the bruise.

I suppose all of this is what I get for buying a "hiking" item from a ninja company. It’s like they thought "we want to carry a gun in a backpack" first and then just half assed everything else in the design phase, and then went with overbuilt aesthetics to make up for it.

On top of all of that, the interior organization just doesn’t do what I want it to. Because of the overbuiltness, the. Ain compartment struggled to carry four light duty rain jackets, which in turn obscured access to the organization in the main compartment.

Just goes to show you how what works well for one person is a problem for someone else. I continue to use it daily, and it is my favorite EDP (every day pack) ever. Transitions from work with laptop, iPad, phones and papers, to my survival bag in the air, to carrying a heavier load.

Name:  5A3BA6B4-FB32-4CBF-AD00-822FAEA89098.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  755F1447-64E1-4C41-A820-6F35E383A7D0.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  670B1416-8FA4-4504-82C4-16778FB84405.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  52.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve been using my EDC pack daily since I got it and I really like it. The size is nice, it’s got just the right amount of compartments,it’s comfortable, and it’s low profile. I would strongly recommend it.

For those that like the Vertx, and I probably should have asked this question earlier in the thread, how long and how far are you carrying it at a time?

From what I can tell the thing that causes my issue, besides the weight, is that fixed yoke-looking strap arrangement vs one that’s more flexible.

I thought I just disliked the bag when I first posted this morning about the issues, but then I carried it out to the car and just looking at it realized how much I despise the fucking thing.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-14-2017 at 07:24 PM.

I use it intermittently all the time, every day, and have never noticed an issue with wearing it. Just to be sure, I put it on when I read your post, and have been wearing it since. Felt fine.

My wife finally said “WTF with you wearing the pack in the house, you imitating Tom Jones?” I told her some dude from FL said it hurt, at which point she took it, wore it around and said it was more comfortable than her 5.11 EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife finally said “WTF with you wearing the pack in the house, you imitating Tom Jones?”
    It's not unusual.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

How many Gadgets will the pack hold?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I've been trying to decide between the VertX EDC, the Sentinel from Sneaky Bags https://covertbags.com/products/snea...tinel-backpack and the Recon Nine Evade http://www.alphaoneniner.com/shop/re...evade-backpack

I just sold a GR1 because it just didn't have enough organization inside for me. I also don't care for molle on the outside of my everyday backpack. I'm worried that the VertX bag won't have enough organization inside either.

The Evade seems to have everything I like all the organization inside and the ability to hang extra small bags. It's pricey though.

The Sneakybags pack has a lot of ability to be customized inside. Lots of Velcro, also ways to hang extra bags, very low pro outside. No dedicated laptop pocket but not sure if it's that big a deal to just place a laptop inside.

Anyone have any experience with the Evade or Sentinel? I think they are designed by the same guy. About all I know.
    I originally ignored these bags, I thin, because I had already made my mind up about the shitex. Going back now and re-looking and a lot of what I saw said inthe Evade video really strikes a chord with me after my recent experience. The whole explanation about the shoulder strap attachment on the Evade make some realize that I’m no the only one that hates the yoke.

Not excited about a $200 dad bag though. But as I posted earlier, if it’s the only way to get the features I want....

Also, it’s still a full pound heavier than the current pack, even in its lightest form...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    As I mentioned in the PM I sent you this morning, I’ve carried it 10-12+ miles dozens of times without issue. I’ve probably carried it a hundred times for 4 miles (that’s what a round trip to the post office from my house is and I do that at least once a day, 6 days a week).

I suppose that it just fits my body shape/size better than yours.
    I wouldn’t have thought that 6’-1”and 190 lbs was an outlier in body shapes, but...

I think the others thing that played a part is how often I’m moving my arms around. Picking up kids, beers, checking the phone for the next fast pass, stiff-arming rogue Asian tourist from running over my kids, etc. has me constantly moving my arms around. If they just stayed down by my sides doing the natural arm swing I may not have encountered the bruising issue from the straps.

I am reminded, in writing this, that I’ve really never been happy with anything from Vertx. I even ordered a pair of their shorts when I ordered this bag and when I tried them on I literally couldn’t get them off fast enough. Such an odd fitment where one section was too loose and another too tight. I already sent those back.

User Tag List