Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Site Supporter
    Tom Bihn is like the Tom Givens of packs. He has been around for a long time and is not stuck in his ways-Bihn products are top notch & constantly improving and evolving. You may not agree with every feature/design cue-but it is clear that TB has thought about it and has a good reason for it.

On of my contemporaries at work is all in re TB. He, his wife and three kids (10, 12 and 15 ish) have literally thousands worth depending on the "mission" (trip/school/activity.) No issues with anything. It all just works.

They have done Disney, US road trips, Europe and cruises. Everybody has two bags max. Everybody carries their own stuff. Wear one outfit, pack 5 max. Factor in the weather and activity level and go.

I too have been scared off by price as I have tended to focus of the intersection of quality & value in this space. I suspect if I was a serious road warrior and/or I did not have two kids in college, I would trade in my slick Eagle AIII ( a bag full of bags) and get the SYNIK 30 and drive on. The built in organization is very appealing.

If I was picking nits re TB, I think their warranty/g-tee is a bit soft given the pricepoint. eBags, Eddie Bauer and Osprey are 3 manufacturers who still g-tee for life with no hassles.

as always-ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Evidently Tom Bihn is updating their Synapse pack to a new design called the Synik which will come in 22 and 30 liter sizes (vs the 19 and 25 of the Synapse).

Product announcement

Video comparing Synik 30 to Synapse 25

The idea of the 22 Synik is pretty appealing, but at nearly $300...
    Well damn... pre-order is already closed.

Headed out today on an urban family adventure, and grabbing the current dad bag and just picking it up to check the contents has me annoyed at having to tote this thing around.

It occurs to me that it would be awesome if Vertx would make non-ninja versions of their main bags. just removing that hidden pouch on the back would cut a half pound I bet.

@rob_s Have you seen Nano Series from Gregory Packs? My son's backpack just bit the dust and I'm considering picking up a Nano 18 for him to try.

Edit to add I might try a Nano 20 for myself.
    Last edited by MGW; 10-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I just picked up one of these last month:

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/fastpack/

I like it so far, I was intrigued by the "fastpack"/vest style packs, thinking about loaded down mountain bike rides with the little ones and other hiking adventures and maybe a solo overnight as I think I am gaining a little more space with my young family to break away for a night. I need to add some zipper pulls and really try out the waterbottles on the shoulder strap thing. I got it loaded with some stuff for wet and cold as well as a few comfort things and some snacks. It's worked out well as my go out the door bag on weekends, having a few supplies and being able to keep everything contained and organized in the truck is a good deal.

For work I roll with an old Mystery Ranch Fireline Pack for work as it makes carrying a gallon of water in Nalgene bottles easy and accessible with large outside side pockets. I always have a bunch of stuff for cold and wet as my work can take me outside on days I didn't think I was going outside or days when it can change from good to bad weather.

I would think that their everyday bag would be worth a look too:

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/everyday/

I used one of their bags back in the day for my PCT thru-hike in 2005 and probably another 1000 miles of packing after that. And back in the day stayed at the owner's house a few times when I would go through Logan, UT. He sold the business a few years ago and there are new people I don't know running it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    @rob_s Have you seen Nano Series from Gregory Packs? My son's backpack just bit the dust and I'm considering picking up a Nano 18 for him to try.

I love my Gregory Salvo

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I love my Gregory Salvo
    That’s a brand I wasn’t familiar with that seems to have a lot to offer. Particularly like that their offerings appear to be light and pay particular attention to the straps and back mesh. Both key elements in the Florida heat.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I just picked up one of these last month:

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/fastpack/

I like it so far, I was intrigued by the "fastpack"/vest style packs, thinking about loaded down mountain bike rides with the little ones and other hiking adventures and maybe a solo overnight as I think I am gaining a little more space with my young family to break away for a night. I need to add some zipper pulls and really try out the waterbottles on the shoulder strap thing. I got it loaded with some stuff for wet and cold as well as a few comfort things and some snacks. It's worked out well as my go out the door bag on weekends, having a few supplies and being able to keep everything contained and organized in the truck is a good deal.

For work I roll with an old Mystery Ranch Fireline Pack for work as it makes carrying a gallon of water in Nalgene bottles easy and accessible with large outside side pockets. I always have a bunch of stuff for cold and wet as my work can take me outside on days I didn't think I was going outside or days when it can change from good to bad weather.

I would think that their everyday bag would be worth a look too:

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/everyday/

I used one of their bags back in the day for my PCT thru-hike in 2005 and probably another 1000 miles of packing after that. And back in the day stayed at the owner's house a few times when I would go through Logan, UT. He sold the business a few years ago and there are new people I don't know running it.

Damn, missed the Everyday. I've got a Circuit for backpacking that they did in custom colors that I love, would be cool to grab another with how well they seem to be holding up.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Evidently Tom Bihn is updating their Synapse pack to a new design called the Synik which will come in 22 and 30 liter sizes (vs the 19 and 25 of the Synapse).

Product announcement

Video comparing Synik 30 to Synapse 25

The idea of the 22 Synik is pretty appealing, but at nearly $300...
    Synik 30 showed up yesterday. Impressive. It certainly cost more than I wanted to spend, but so does buying all the other packs I've tried seeking perfection. The TB fanbois are all over the organization, and coming from where I am, I didn't expect to like it. Wrong, they do apparently have a decent idea about this stuff. I added an admin panel from TAD inside to regain the lacking pen storage. I was able to use some built in hooks like it was designed for this panel.

Will update with some time. I'll have a business trip or two in the next few weeks.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Synik 30 showed up yesterday. Impressive. It certainly cost more than I wanted to spend, but so does buying all the other packs I've tried seeking perfection. The TB fanbois are all over the organization, and coming from where I am, I didn't expect to like it. Wrong, they do apparently have a decent idea about this stuff. I added an admin panel from TAD inside to regain the lacking pen storage. I was able to use some built in hooks like it was designed for this panel.

Will update with some time. I'll have a business trip or two in the next few weeks.
    I snagged one as well and am pleased so far. Now I just need an armor panel that will fit it.

User Tag List