Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    PS-Rob S/ How is the Gregory working for you as your most recent edc bag?
    I kinda missed this question back in August, maybe because I am so enamored of my sling bags (which may have been what I needed all along when I started this).

The Gregory is working out great. With the addition of the sling bag, I don't need it nearly as often, but I carried it around at the Newport Folk Fest and related flights (which include a stopover "on the way home" in Chicago for a couple of days) and I was happy to have the slightly larger overall space AND the lighter overall weight. Particularly since I wound up with a leg issue that made walking... uncorfortable.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Fortunately, Aer makes a Day Sling 2 that's slightly larger, has a side buckle, and otherwise appears to be functionally about the same.

so I ordered one up in Olive and it should be here in a couple of days.
    I am so enamored of my sling bags (which may have been what I needed all along when I started this).
    Using the new sling this past weekend made me think of this thread.

I can’t say enough good things about it. So nice to be able to just grab that little bag, throw it over my shoulder or even stuff it in another bag and have a reasonable sense that pretty much everything I need is in there. Totally man-pursing it.

At this stage of child-rearing (they can pretty much carry their own shit) a sling bag is the answer.

My quoted comment above, however, about “may have been what I needed all along” is probably not accurate. This thread goes back 5 years now. At that time we were Disney annual pass holders, the kids weren’t really able to carry much of anything at all on their own, and I was doing a lot more Sherpa duty.

Now with one in 5th grade and one in 8th grade, the only person I’m really worried about stocking for is me (emergencies excluded) and so that makes the sling bag perfect. Tiny Leatherman, chargers & cords, etc.

I frankly realized the other day that I haven’t touched the “pack” since the slings arrived. We are going RV camping this weekend and even then I don’t think I’ll take the pack. The sling should be fine.

Flying on Tuesday, and if it wasn’t a work trip (necessitating laptop and associated bag) and if I’d already bought the iPad mini, it would probably be my only carryon. I’ll be adding zip ties to it either way
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I can’t say enough how much I’m loving my sling(s). It wouldn’t have been the right solution for me way back when I started this thread, but today it gets 10x the use of the backpack.

This just came out, reviewing the two slings I’ve gone through (and still have) but in one generation newer in both cases than the ones I have.

Site Supporter
    Why is the sling better than a fanny pack? Size? Location? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    I can’t say enough how much I’m loving my sling(s). It wouldn’t have been the right solution for me way back when I started this thread, but today it gets 10x the use of the backpack.

This just came out, reviewing the two slings I’ve gone through (and still have) but in one generation newer in both cases than the ones I have.

That was a great video. Thanks for sharing it.
    I'm on the edge of trying a DS 3. The only remaining question is how much of an impact it has on accessing a pistol carried AIWB. Any thoughts would be appreciated if you have any experience with this.

Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That was a great video. Thanks for sharing it.
    I'm on the edge of trying a DS 3. The only remaining question is how much of an impact it has on accessing a pistol carried AIWB. Any thoughts would be appreciated if you have any experience with this.

Thanks!
    I don’t carry apendix but one issue with the day sling is that it can really only be carried in one side, meaning that for a right-handed shooter it’s going to interfere with a 4-o’clock carry when worn on the back or, likely, an appendix carry when worn on the front.

If that was a concern, I’d stick with the city sling and carry it over the opposite shoulder. It could still affect an appendix draw when carried in the front, but not quite as bad, I’d think.

Been away for some time, carrying the current Aer sling almost all day for several days in a row. It’s really worked out well, and I added an iPad mini 6 to my tech tools and it fits, just barely, which made for a very pleasant flying experience.

All that said, the one thing I wish it had was bottom straps for lashing on other items. Which has me somewhat considering things bag. Wife will kill me though, she’s as tired of all of this as all of you.

It’s larger overall than my current bag as well which could be a pro/con

Chrome bag
    SIZE
    6.5" H | 13.25" W | 3.13" D
    VOLUME
    5L
    WEIGHT
    .77 lbs | .35 kg

Aer city sling 2

Dimensions
    Length: 12.5" (32 cm)
    Width: 6" (15 cm)
    Depth: 3" (7.5 cm)

Volume
    4.5 L

Weight
    0.7 lbs

https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...ng/BG-321.html

I'm considering that kadet bag but I saw some videos and some complained about the lack of sternum strap on the mini. I might go with the regular sized one but it is pretty big...

The leather / green color is 🤩🤩

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I ended up using my already-available HPG kit bag...I took it on a ten day trip to Ontario through airports etc etc with all the critical stuff.

It was actually really, really handy. I thought it might cause trouble in airports for looking to military or something, but the only problem I actually had was with a totally civilian, innocuous grey shoulder bag, which I was asked to empty in front of a flight security agent.

It was a pain, because the thing was really overstuffed and I'd been in line for three hours with a two year old who was up five hours earlier than usual and they were trying to force me to make him walk the security gauntlet through the scanners alone and he was freaking out and things got hostile from there because I was about out of patience with lowly-trained idiots enforcing rules that were evidently beyond their own comprehension.

Anyway their reasoning for forcing me to empty it was "to take that case of beer out."

"You want me to remove a case of beer from this bag?"

"Yes, that's right."

"No, I can't do that. Sorry."

"If you won't, I will."

"No, you won't."

So the agent opened it up furiously and started pulling stuff out, eventually getting to a baby formula box (incidentally not all that close in proportion to a case of beer.)

"I figured you wouldn't be able to pull a case of beer out of that bag. Anything else before I tie up your table for a while repacking it?"

"You still can't have this much liquid in a carry-on," she said, holding the box.

"How much liquid is that?"

"Each bottle would have to be under 100ml and you couldn't have 12 of them."

"Fine. You want to throw away every single bottle you find in that box, or what?"

"I can throw out the entire box."

"No, I need the box and all its contents."

"I told you, you can't take this much liquid on the plane."

"I can and I will."

"Sir," she said, emphasizing each word, "you can not."

"Do you want to open the box?"

The box contained a carefully folded suit which weighed nothing even close to the equivalent amount of baby formula.

"Great work, agent. Keep those skies safe."

Usually by this point Erin is trying to make me stop talking but they made the kid cry and I am pretty sure she wanted me to make the agent cry in retaliation.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Reading that was making me mad lol

User Tag List