Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Here's a question that may fit in this thread...does such a thing exist as a low-profile sling bag, that's primarily intended to be carried in the front, like on your chest, I mean?

I'm often carrying my kid around on my shoulders these days and a bag I could access without a ton of setting down and picking up, or even without sliding the bag around on my body, might be nice to have.

I have a Hill People Gear kit bag which physically would be perfect but that seems...crazy looking for in town.

But I'm not sure if it's even really possible to keep a bag on your chest without a harness. Anyway I figured someone in here might have seen or experiemented with an option like that.
    If you tighten the strap down enough, the fanny pack/sling bag will stay on your chest slung across the chest. It just looks kind of goofy. But if you have a little kid on your shoulders, no one will care.

I did this a lot myself when carrying one of my children on my own shoulders while wading through the surf at the beach, and didn’t want the fanny pack to get too soaked from the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's a question that may fit in this thread...does such a thing exist as a low-profile sling bag, that's primarily intended to be carried in the front, like on your chest, I mean?

I'm often carrying my kid around on my shoulders these days and a bag I could access without a ton of setting down and picking up, or even without sliding the bag around on my body, might be nice to have.

I have a Hill People Gear kit bag which physically would be perfect but that seems...crazy looking for in town.

But I'm not sure if it's even really possible to keep a bag on your chest without a harness. Anyway I figured someone in here might have seen or experiemented with an option like that.
    My new Day Sling 2 is designed to work in front or back. Having the option of front or back, plus the ease of swinging it to the front for access, is one of the reasons I “upgraded”. The orientation of the strap attachment on the one end, plus having the buckle on the end of the strap instead of the middle (so that it’s not digging in when wearing with a backpack) are the main design choices that make it feasible.

Name:  CC410A49-019F-44CD-B3EE-72BECB4AF32A.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  0E74708A-4A35-429D-A486-519403A18679.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  19.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW, I've had several people comment positively on my Hill People chest bag, "That looks very convenient" sorta remarks. Very positive for rambling about town. Mine is RED! Because hiding it isn't happening. Unfortunately, getting it on and off is nothing like the convenience of a sling. It's the only thing I don't love about it.
    Looks like they make a couple versions? Assuming you mean the “kit bag”?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looks like they make a couple versions? Assuming you mean the “kit bag”?
    Yes. Kit Bag.

I wish I could find that Sling 2 in a half size version.... A bit shorter and a bit less tall.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    How big of a bag are you considering?
    I haven't really thought it through too much but fairly small - smaller than the HPG Kit Bag, I think, but similar: I would want it fairly flat, basically there to hold all the critical stuff from my pockets, but when I'm either carrying my kid on my shoulders, or running around in summer gear which is board shorts and t-shirts.

But my pockets are generally pretty freaking full on account of my survival-oriented semi-suburban off-grid wilderness ocean dad lifestyle.

Now that I've mentioned the kit bag twice I've gone back to look at the HPG site and I'm feeling a bit of interest in this Snubby Belt Pack:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../ProductID/129

That's roughly the proportions (and actually the concept) I was thinking of, I guess.

I can't get the Aer site to load correctly and the first picture I looked at of it the Day Sling 2 made me think it was more shoebox- or tube-proportioned for some reason, and I initially discounted it, but I just went and looked at a third party review and...yeah, that looks REALLY similar to the HPG Snubby Belt Pack, actually. I think my application is similar to what Rob is describing, also, so I can see how similar products would appeal.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I haven't really thought it through too much but fairly small - smaller than the HPG Kit Bag, I think, but similar: I would want it fairly flat, basically there to hold all the critical stuff from my pockets, but when I'm either carrying my kid on my shoulders, or running around in summer gear which is board shorts and t-shirts.

But my pockets are generally pretty freaking full on account of my survival-oriented semi-suburban off-grid wilderness ocean dad lifestyle.

Now that I've mentioned the kit bag twice I've gone back to look at the HPG site and I'm feeling a bit of interest in this Snubby Belt Pack:

That's roughly the proportions (and actually the concept) I was thinking of, I guess.

I can't get the Aer site to load correctly and the first picture I looked at of it the Day Sling 2 made me think it was more shoebox- or tube-proportioned for some reason, and I initially discounted it, but I just went and looked at a third party review and...yeah, that looks REALLY similar to the HPG Snubby Belt Pack, actually. I think my application is similar to what Rob is describing, also, so I can see how similar products would appeal.
    I'm feeling a bit dumb for not looking at other bags from HPG. The Snubby looks great. Thanks!

Using their dimensions of 8.5x6x2 inches I get 102cubic inches = 1.67Liters
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm feeling a bit dumb for not looking at other bags from HPG. The Snubby looks great. Thanks!

I had the exact same reaction when I went and looked at their site. How is that I liked the one bag, and didn't think to ask if they had something else that would work for this? I was actually looking at other stuff and unintentionally clicked on that snubby one and realized how similar it was to what I was hoping for. Derp.

Anyway at 122 mighty US greenbacks, or seven Frostback car payments, I'm not sure I'm going to jump on that but it's similar to what interests me, for sure.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Oh also following that this thread popped up:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tus-fanny-pack

which may contain relevant info.

Site Supporter

I have one of the HPG snubby belt packs. It's nice and I use it a lot when mountain biking and sometimes while paddling. I thought that I would use it for running, etc also but it's really too big for what I want or need for that. I wished that they offered a smaller version, maybe one not designed around being able to hold a G19 sized handgun. That would be great for running and beach trips, among other things.

this thread sent me down a rabbit hole...

So seeing this thread pop up made me want to look for some newer options to the HPG small Belt Pack (Medium is being released soon btw), the HPG Runner's kit bag, Eagle fanny pack and a Maxpedition sling I currently have. I usually carry my Vertx Gamut 2.0 with me to work and if I'm dressed in basketball shorts (I'm a slob so sue me) I'll use the HPG Belt Pack like a sling to carry my G48, small folder, spare magazine, wallet and phone. The Belt Pack works ok but is not comfortable as a sling IMO, it does the job and I was going to order the new medium Belt Pack for just a hair more storage which is pretty much vaporware at this point. I want something that works well as a sling and I might have found a solution that may replace my Gamut 2.0 and HPG Belt Pack.

https://evergoods.us/collections/packs/products/mountain-hip-pack-3-5l

At first I was thinking this bag is bigger than I wanted to replace the HPG Belt Pack, than I thought maybe it can replace my Gamut 2.0 in most cases as well. The ergonomics look excellent and I like how it curves into your body, yes I'll look like a big doofus carrying this thing but outside of annoying my wife I don't care much haha. The drop in pocket looks big enough to secure a G48, though it won't be as fast access as the HPG Belt Pack but I'm going to find out.

Here is my initial thoughts on the HPG Runner's kit bag https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Runner-Kit-Bag

Site Supporter
    I do not need another bag...

I am ecstatic with my Black Tom Bihn Synik 30L as an EDC, my Black/Grey Tom Bihn Brain Bag (36L) as a dedicated overhead big plane travel bag, backed up my blue/grey Ebags Motherloade (45ish L) and Eagle Creek (OD) and Patagonia Black Hole (Dark Teal) duffels (40L max) for smaller overheads/underseat bags along with multiple other 10-30 L backpacks.

Having said that, I just got an email from REI re closeouts. The linked 20L Eagle Creek Bag would be ideal for low/mid frequency carry. At 25 ish (retail at 75 ish), I humbly submit it far exceeds the intersection of quality/value based on my prior experiences with Eagle Creek Products as I am a huge fan of their duffels as well as the "specter" packing cubes etc.

Presently avail in - 2 tone blue, 2 tone grey and all black. Though designated a "womens" pack, I would not let slow me down a bit if I could justify the 2 tone blue to go with my Motherloade or the black one because one can always use another black backpack....

FWIW/YMMV

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...0l-pack-womens
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List