Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new dad bag

Site Supporter
    Respectfully, I cannot help but think that the goalposts keep moving on this project.

Query #1- did you every buy anything to date?

If so-what was it?

Why does it not work?

My answers in bold.

Under 2 lbs empty-
    (There are literally dozens of relatively fungible models across multiple makers)

External water bottle sleeve(s)
    (See Above)

Small, externally accessible, pouch (sunglasses, phone, meds)(See Above)

At least some amount of internal compartmentalization
    (preferably without having to add additional parts) (See Above)

Good airflow in the back (new requirement from this week)
    (Based on 7 BSA Summer camps of 10 days in Mid Mo in July/ 70+ monthly campouts/Seabase/Philmont and carrying a 3 day assault pack as my primary EDC for my entire professional career, "airflow" is much more a difference in degree v kind. A quality wicking garment and proper hydration is far more important IMHO. Perspiration on the back is simply the cost of doing business

No external mole or other tactical indicators
    (Copy and See Above)

a detachable/storable waist belt (if it has one at all)
    (Copy. See Above. The consequence of this "requirement" means that you have maxed your load at 15-20 lbs since minimal belt/no belt will not transfer any weight to the hips.)

As Mission Drives the Gear and I am not hearing anything remarkable about the mission, I would buy something from Osprey and move on.

Why Osprey-

Quality Kit
    Lifetime NO BS Warranty (Allmighty Guarantee-any product, any reason, any era.)
    Widely Available
    Well Priced
    NOT made in the PRC

I would respectfully assert the one linked below hits all the marks and is 44.50 on sale from the Osprey Mothership right now.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...ITRVL_550.html
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-16-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

For the purchase and experience history, one may read back through the thread.

I’ve gone over and over the Osprey page(s) looking for something I think would work, and have t seen anything yet. That Daylite Travel is probably the closest one, but there’s some things I’m not a fan of.

Anyone frustrated or annoyed by the thread (or me) is obviously free not to read or post in it. . Particularly if you’re not really getting the context and the humor in it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

A 4 year ongoing quest to find a backpack that fits the needs of a suburban white collar dad that has came full circle to possibly choosing an off the shelf, run of the mill Patagonia or North Face bag? Oh we're getting the humor. We are definitely getting the humor.

Have you considered having one of the custom shops make you a bag that fits this exact criteria? It's probably cheaper in the long run and far less mental anguish.

Gregory Miwok - https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-b...-packs#start=1

I've used a Miwok 18 as a field day pack for 8-years. I have problem 200 miles or more carrying this pack.

Water bottle pockets, waist belt, exterior access pocket, ability to stuff a layer on the outside and lash. Moderate internal organization with interior mesh pockets and hydration bladder pocket. Waist belt isn't stowable that's the only thing missing on your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Gregory Miwok - https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-b...-packs#start=1

I've used a Miwok 18 as a field day pack for 8-years. I have problem 200 miles or more carrying this pack.

Water bottle pockets, waist belt, exterior access pocket, ability to stuff a layer on the outside and lash. Moderate internal organization with interior mesh pockets and hydration bladder pocket. Waist belt isn't stowable that's the only thing missing on your criteria.
    I saw that brand on backcountry or something and wasn't familiar with them. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Exode 26 and Anode 30 look interesting too. Appear to be pretty much the same packs as each other with the Anode being 1" thicker and having a front pouch instead of the front bungies that the Exode has.

Last edited by rob_s; 02-17-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    A 4 year ongoing quest to find a backpack that fits the needs of a suburban white collar dad that has came full circle to possibly choosing an off the shelf, run of the mill Patagonia or North Face bag? Oh we're getting the humor. We are definitely getting the humor.

Have you considered having one of the custom shops make you a bag that fits this exact criteria? It's probably cheaper in the long run and far less mental anguish.
    Yeah I think the whole thing comes across as some critical mission shit.

I suppose when you're in an environment where all the other suburban white dads are talking about preparing their fantasy gunfights all the time it's to be expected that they'd assume every topic is mission critical and hyper serious.

it's not like I fucking died at Disney World or on the side of a Georgia mountain because my stupid LARPER pack killed me (much to the chagrin of many here, I'm sure).

Site Supporter
    Because bags are my jam, I will continue to go down this road with you.

Gregory and Osprey have similar mid to late 70's origin stories with the founders not being able to find what they wanted so they started making it themselves. Patagonia is in this realm as well.

What makes Osprey superior in my mind is the warranty.

Gregory-Lifetime with a whole bunch of "Exception, Key, Erasure" limitations language.
    https://www.gregorypacks.com/warranty.html

V.

Osprey-Any damage or defect for any reason...
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/custome...ghty-guarantee

Moreover, Osprey is still privately held with original folks still in the mix. Gregory has been owned by Samsonite since 2014.

North Face, owned by VF Corp forever. Mountain Hardware, breakaway from NF, now owned by Columbia.

Patagonia, privately held, original owner still in the mix. Sometimes called "Patagucci" because of the MSRP on some of their stuff. Guarantee is solid but not as good as wait for it-----Osprey.

ALL of these bags, particularly in this sub 100 space are completely fungible. It simply does not matter day in, day out. Where it might matter is on the back end if you have a warranty claim.

AGAIN, you are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies on this. In this sub 100.00 space there are DOZENS of packs that will work just fine.

Some of your goals seem mutually exclusive. You want a pack with a base weight of under 2 lbs. That really maxes your total weight out at 15-20 lbs, particularly when you want no or a minimal belt.

You want to load the pack up and then NOT deal with sweat, in FLA because you think that there is some magic airflow design that will make a meaningful difference under load at temperature.

You want internal compartmentalization which often means internal zippers which means more weight.

You have been thru at least two packs so far (Vertx and and Alpha 19er) neither of which were appreciable better than the old trusty REI 25L bag.

IMHO and experience, the one brand that is a game changer in this space because built quality, feature set, durability exclusive use of Tier 1 components and well thought out design that I hear again and again is Tom Bihn. That bag for you is likely the Synapse 25. It is 220 plus shipping. Depending on fabric it is just under to right at 2lbs.

Beside price as being a potential deal breaker for you, the water bottle carry area is internal. I would respectfully assert that helps it stay a less hot because it is out of the sun. It also cannot be knocked out as it can from a mesh side pocket .

I acknowledge that you have to de-pack on the move and/or have somebody help you get the water bottle out on the fly or stop altogether. Frankly, you should stop and hydrate anyway. If hydrating on the fly is driving the train then they first thing we should be talking about is water bladder compatibility and that is an entirely different pack.

Looping back- You need a basic daddy bag to replace/augment the REI 25 you have. You say the Vertx and others are too heavy at 3 ish pounds. All things being equal, bags that weigh 3ish pounds carry more and more comfortably than bags that weight 2ish pounds.

You know the best way to not have to worry about the difference between a 2ish pound bag and a 3ish pound bag -IT IS BY BEING 1lbish+ LIGHTER YOURSELF.

Actually...Wearing lighter footwear on your feet is really the way to go as well as 1 lbish pound + on your feet is 5 ish on the back but that is a whole nother rabbit hole...

Look, I get it. My EDC bag is a circa 2005 Eagle Industries 3 Day Assault Pack. It is a bag of bags with a smaller bag containing a FAK, another with writing utensils, another with a flashlight and cords etc. I have an NWOT sling bag from Maxpedition, I never use. Why-because when you load it up, it is not as comfortable as any two strap bag. I have an LAPG Special Edition Maxpedition Falcon. It has more built in organization than the Eagle but is a bit too narrow for my laptop etc.

I have a Bright Teal/Green REI 25 L backpack when I travel because it coordinates with a Patagonia Duffel I have and I can spot that "set" 100 yrds away if it gets piled into a particularly place/room.

Hell, I even have an old school, 1000D cordura black Jansport backpack. I also have 5-6 other 35-45L carry on travel backs that may not be backpacks per se, but are 3 way (backpack/suitcase carry, duffel carry.)

Knowing everything I know now and I wanted to carry what you have said you have wanted to carry (moving goal posts and all) I would STFU, get out the plastic and buy the either the Tom Bihn Synapse 25 or the Synik 30 because the Synik bag can do EDC and 3-5 day business casual, 1 bag travel given its full clamshell opening and slightly bigger size relative to the 3/4 zip Synapse 25.

Edited to add- I find it extraordinarily difficult to believe that between the regular priced items on the Osprey website and the clearance section I linked, you CANNOT find a pack that would work just fine. I would note that even in season Osprey packs, when not on sale at the factory site, can often be found on sale at the usual suspects to include Amazon, REI, Moosejaw and Back Country.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-17-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    And it is the only way to ensure bespoke wrong, again and once more.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Now I want an Osprey pack...
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Because bags are my jam, I will continue to go down this road with you.

Gregory and Osprey have similar mid to late 70's origin stories with the founders not being able to find what they wanted so they started making it themselves. Patagonia is in this realm as well.

Gregory-Lifetime with a whole bunch of "Exception, Key, Erasure" limitations language.
    https://www.gregorypacks.com/warranty.html

V.

Osprey-Any damage or defect for any reason...
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/custome...ghty-guarantee

Moreover, Osprey is still privately held with original folks still in the mix. Gregory has been owned by Samsonite since 2014.

North Face, owned by VF Corp forever. Mountain Hardware, breakaway from NF, now owned by Columbia.

Patagonia, privately held, original owner still in the mix. Sometimes called "Patagucci" because of the MSRP on some of their stuff. Guarantee is solid but not as good as wait for it-----Osprey.

ALL of these bags, particularly in this sub 100 space are completely fungible. It simply does not matter day in, day out. Where it might matter is on the back end if you have a warranty claim.

AGAIN, you are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies on this. In this sub 100.00 space there are DOZENS of packs that will work just fine.

Some of your goals seem mutually exclusive. You want a pack with a base weight of under 2 lbs. That really maxes your total weight out at 15-20 lbs, particularly when you want no or a minimal belt.

You want to load the pack up and then NOT deal with sweat, in FLA because you think that there is some magic airflow design that will make a meaningful difference under load at temperature.

You want internal compartmentalization which often means internal zippers which means more weight.

You have been thru at least two packs so far (Vertx and and Alpha 19er) neither of which were appreciable better than the old trusty REI 25L bag.

IMHO and experience, the one brand that is a game changer in this space because built quality, feature set, durability exclusive use of Tier 1 components and well thought out design that I hear again and again is Tom Bihn. That bag for you is likely the Synapse 25. It is 220 plus shipping. Depending on fabric it is just under to right at 2lbs.

Beside price as being a potential deal breaker for you, the water bottle carry area is internal. I would respectfully assert that helps it stay a less hot because it is out of the sun. It also cannot be knocked out as it can from a mesh side pocket .

I acknowledge that you have to de-pack on the move and/or have somebody help you get the water bottle out on the fly or stop altogether. Frankly, you should stop and hydrate anyway. If hydrating on the fly is driving the train then they first thing we should be talking about is water bladder compatibility and that is an entirely different pack.

Looping back- You need a basic daddy bag to replace/augment the REI 25 you have. You say the Vertx and others are too heavy at 3 ish pounds. All things being equal, bags that weigh 3ish pounds carry more and more comfortably than bags that weight 2ish pounds.

You know the best way to not have to worry about the difference between a 2ish pound bag and a 3ish pound bag -IT IS BY BEING 1lbish+ LIGHTER YOURSELF.

Actually...Wearing lighter footwear on your feet is really the way to go as well as 1 lbish pound + on your feet is 5 ish on the back but that is a whole nother rabbit hole...

Look, I get it. My EDC bag is a circa 2005 Eagle Industries 3 Day Assault Pack. It is a bag of bags with a smaller bag containing a FAK, another with writing utensils, another with a flashlight and cords etc. I have an NWOT sling bag from Maxpedition, I never use. Why-because when you load it up, it is not as comfortable as any two strap bag. I have an LAPG Special Edition Maxpedition Falcon. It has more built in organization than the Eagle but is a bit too narrow for my laptop etc.

I have a Bright Teal/Green REI 25 L backpack when I travel because it coordinates with a Patagonia Duffel I have and I can spot that "set" 100 yrds away if it gets piled into a particularly place/room.

Hell, I even have an old school, 1000D cordura black Jansport backpack. I also have 5-6 other 35-45L carry on travel backs that may not be backpacks per se, but are 3 way (backpack/suitcase carry, duffel carry.)

Knowing everything I know now and I wanted to carry what you have said you have wanted to carry (moving goal posts and all) I would STFU, get out the plastic and buy the either the Tom Bihn Synapse 25 or the Synik 30 because the Synik bag can do EDC and 3-5 day business casual, 1 bag travel given its full clamshell opening and slightly bigger size relative to the 3/4 zip Synapse 25.

Edited to add- I find it extraordinarily difficult to believe that between the regular priced items on the Osprey website and the clearance section I linked, you CANNOT find a pack that would work just fine. I would note that even in season Osprey packs, when not on sale at the factory site, can often be found on sale at the usual suspects to include Amazon, REI, Moosejaw and Back Country.
    I appreciate some of this, but some of this is based so much on YOUR wants, needs, and experience that you’re inferring use cases that I haven’t stated. The water bottle pocket thing alone is off base as I want those pockets for other items in addition to actual water bottles. The warranty thing is another. As you mentioned, we’re talking about sub-$100 packs. If it fails anytime after the first week or two (and even then, maybe) I’ll just throw it in the bin. It’s not worth my time and effort to go returning things.

Similarly, I haven’t listed every single little want and need. It’s honest,y impossible to do so. So sometimes someone posts a link to a pack that may seem to hit the criteria but there’s some other feature of the pack that doesn’t that I had t considered. I can afford to be picky because I have two packs now (actually, I think have one of those Eagle AIII packs from the early 2000s too somewhere) that aren’t killing me, they just aren’t ideal and the whole point here is wondering if there’s something out there that may seem like a better fit.

Which again, is why I encourage anyone that doesn’t want to play along to just move along.

User Tag List