Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Need new dad bag

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Looks like they used to have a green set with orange on the inside. I def would have got one of those
    Never occurred to me to try and shop 3rd party

Goddamnit

https://storminggravity.com/en-us/pr...c-access-pouch
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

looks like maybe I had my bag chart as private. hopefully this link works as a public view-only version.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Low Pro Nike Alt

I'll join the commentary on EDC bags for "dad needs" - Attending a million different sporting events, gatherings, events etc I find myself needing such a "dad bag" that can schlep a small mac book, phone, cables, light wind jacket (always have this with you!) and depending on location, carry items from XMacro down to some pepper spray etc. Randomly, I was given a backpack for some volunteering coaching I was doing for one of my kids teams and it's become my GO TO for all things carry.

https://www.nike.com/t/brasilia-95-t...tL7/DH7709-010

This Nike bag is laid out in what seems to be the go-to setup (very similar looking to the Alpha One Evade) with Two Main pockets - The rear laptop sleeve and front misc pocket along with smaller sunglasses pocket (soft lining) and side pockets for bottle and zip closed mesh. The materials are NOT up to high end standards eg VX fabric and YKK and it lacks niceties like a sternum strap but for sub $50 it hits a LOT of wins for me. It can haul all the smaller EDC stuff, the soft pocket is great for power packs or sunglasses and the two MAIN pockets are split nicely volume wise (often the laptop sleeve is too small so it ONLY takes laptop).

The main thing is it is BORING. Just a plain Navy NIKE bag. I live in a state where a LOT of the population probably can pick out VERTX, Sitka, Eberlestock etc so in areas where low pro or NPE comes up, this wins every time. The 24L size is ideal for most needs (They do have a 30L size as well). The Alpha One Evade 1.5 in VX42 is a wish list item for sure but man, $255 is a LOT for a school bag... YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The orange pouches became available and by resistance Kolter!

I missed out on the first run of 0.5 but I can always pick one of those up later I hope.

Attachment 117954
    Arrived today and the orange is actually way cooler than I expected. I thought it would be more like a super-bright hunter orange but it's almost like an... orange drab?

Very neat!

Got everything moved over, but haven't carried with the new bag yet.

Still not sure how I'll like going from carrying everything in sub-pockets within the bag vs carrying one sub-bag with sub pockets within the bag.

I was working from a hotel last week and thought of this as I was reaching behind me to pull individual items out of the larger bag and wishing I had a single desk-caddie to place on the desk with everything I need, but then noticing that I really didn't have any room on the tiny hotel desk anyway...

One other possibly hiccup... the laptop fits but JUST barely. Like as in, had to move my USB mouse receiver from the side of the laptop to the back to get it to fit.

As of yet, I haven't figured out where to stash the iPad either. the laptop compartment has a divider but not sure that's the right answer.

Oh and the 1L pouch is totally empty.

The orange pouches became available and by resistance Kolter!

I missed out on the first run of 0.5 but I can always pick one of those up later I hope.

Attachment 117954
    Got everything moved over, but haven't carried with the new bag yet.

Still not sure how I'll like going from carrying everything in sub-pockets within the bag vs carrying one sub-bag with sub pockets within the bag.

I was working from a hotel last week and thought of this as I was reaching behind me to pull individual items out of the larger bag and wishing I had a single desk-caddie to place on the desk with everything I need, but then noticing that I really didn't have any room on the tiny hotel desk anyway...

One other possibly hiccup... the laptop fits but JUST barely. Like as in, had to move my USB mouse receiver from the side of the laptop to the back to get it to fit.

As of yet, I haven't figured out where to stash the iPad either. the laptop compartment has a divider but not sure that's the right answer.

Oh and the 1L pouch is totally empty.
    Carried it home and back last night. Definitely way better carrying than my "free" work company-branded Ogio backpack.

Got the laptop in on the way out the door, and out again this morning. Remains to be seen if the tight fit becomes an issue.

Besides the zipper opening size being only a scosh larger than the laptop itself, I'm also noticing the overall bag width is just barely bigger than the laptop width of about 10.25-10.5", which is also making is sit/carry a little oddly.
    - Dimensions: 18 x 7 x 11.5in

Site Supporter
    MattM

That Nike bag is the kind of bag that will bust a seam or have a zipper problem at precisely the wrong time. Not a fan at all.

There are many bags that shoot the gap between 47.99 and 247.99 Opsrey generally and particularly when on sale comes screaming to mind. The Osprey website and Sierra Trading Post are two places I look along with REI for decent packs on sale, Osprey and otherwise.

That Nike bag (and bags like it) at 47.99 retail is often found at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc for 29.99 as last season's black/blue sports bag.

If price is really driving the train, vintage bags sewn in the USA with YKK zips and Cordura are often sub 10.00 at thrift store. A soak in the tub with some dawn dish soap/rinse and line dry and you are good to go.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List