Thread: 9mm Revolver ~2" Barrel Ballistics

Hammertime

9mm Revolver ~2" Barrel Ballistics

I am considering a small revolver purchase. Since I have plenty of 9mm ammunition, and zero .38 special I am considering a 9mm revolver.

Is there a recommended defensive load for the snub revolver chambered in 9mm?

I am concerned that 9mm JHP ammo out of the 1.87-2" barrel such as on the LCR or J Frame will suffer either no expansion, or under penetration such as seen in .380 micro pistol loads and some .38 loads.

As someone who has been seduced more than once by the idea of a 9x19-chambered revolver, my suggestion is to go another route. The ammo is not the issue; the issue is loading and unloading the ammo. The S&W M940 is famous (rightly so) for extraction issues, and the moon clips are too easy to bend, totally fouling up reloads. The one revolver that did not need the moon clips, the S&W M547, has a horrible trigger and a collector's price tag. To top it off, most of the 9x19 revolvers have .38 Special-length cylinders, so there is no weight savings.

My suggestion is .38 Special in the small revolver.

I tried a Smith 940 and didnt like it. Moon clips are a PITA to load and unload. The gun also would fail to eject many different brands of ammo without having to pound them out. Big issue is you cant use a speed strip if you choose to use it as a carry weapon. Bend the moonclips a little and you wont be able to load the cylinder. I know Ruger makes an LCR in 9mm but I am aware of reviews saying the sights are way off and a trip to Ruger is necessary for a front sight replacement.

User Tag List