Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver grip technique

Older pic from HiTS Close Quarters Pistol.

http://instagram.com/p/-ANCREo2Lt/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Hizzie, my typical grip looks pretty much like yours on GP100 and larger (I'd love to have your redhawk snub, as well as that blued Clapp), complete with the trigger finger placement. Like you, I find a tendency to weaver a bit with that grip--something I'd like to get away from.

The reason I flag 1911-style on K (all mine have exposed blackstrap grips, except for my 3" 65-3) and below is my fingers are long enough that the power crease pull finds the tip of my finger hanging up on my thumbnail on occasion. I can go locked down with either larger grips, a larger gun than K, or finger pad placement.

So far, I'd personally like to try more often emulating Hizzie's grip, Lon's body alignment/arm geometry, and Darryl's revolver collection.

Still exploring finger placement. Thinking I need to switch to pad; easy, if not weird feeling, on my tuned K guns. A PITA on my GPNY.

I don't know if I'm one of the six or not but here goes...

I run a thumbs forward grip, my support thumb extends to about the middle of the cylinder. I also prefer the first joint crease to center on the trigger, it makes for a much more consistent trigger press.

DB is absolutely correct, you can customize the grips to provide the proper hand placement on a revolver much easier than on most semi autos.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I don't know if I'm one of the six or not but here goes...

I run a thumbs forward grip, my support thumb extends to about the middle of the cylinder. I also prefer the first joint crease to center on the trigger, it makes for a much more consistent trigger press.

DB is absolutely correct, you can customize the grips to provide the proper hand placement on a revolver much easier than on most semi autos.

Those are my hands, in an ancient article I wrote about why you should shoot your DA revolvers...well, DA. This is the grip I've been using on revolvers for the better part of 4 years, including when I was shooting them exclusively in matches and competition.

This wheelgun threads are making me miss my revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are my hands, in an ancient article I wrote about why you should shoot your DA revolvers...well, DA. This is the grip I've been using on revolvers for the better part of 4 years, including when I was shooting them exclusively in matches and competition.

That is how I shoot my revolvers, thumbs forward like my semi-autos. I have been warned about this but in 4-5 years of almost exclusive revolver shooting I have never detected any issues with my thumbs, just a sooty thumb tip. My revolvers are K & L frames. I also use the weak hand reload method.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 01-15-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Caleb, it looks like you are contacting the trigger with the pad of your finger, about 1/2 way out on your distal phalanx, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Older pic from HiTS Close Quarters Pistol.

http://instagram.com/p/-ANCREo2Lt/
    I do mostly like Hizzie. Thumbs down and overlapped. With SA revolvers, the left thumb cocks the gun when shooting two handed.

I don't try for a super high grip, just high enough to be bedded into the hump on the frame. I have ground the target hammer spur to service size on several Smiths. They work fine when I want to shoot SA, which is fairly often depending on what I'm doing, particularly longer distances. Many seem to like shooting DA only on revolvers and grind the hammer spur off. I haven't gotten to that point. My uses may be different than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Caleb, it looks like you are contacting the trigger with the pad of your finger, about 1/2 way out on your distal phalanx, yes?
    Can you say that in dumb person speak? I am but a simple defender.

My wheelygun technique now is that I'll usually pull the trigger with the first joint area of my index finger.

I use my pad to pull the trigger. I can grip it like Caleb or Lon do, but I'm more likely to lock my thumbs down. On J's, I'll cross the left thumb over the right knuckle. On bigger guns, thumb pad over thumbnail. As with a semi, I try to fill in as much of the grip as possible. I can make any grip work, but to be honest, I have not found the perfect revolver grip yet. The VZ grips are perhaps the best I've used yet, but with all the choices out there (and I've tried a huge number) I'm still a little overwhelmed and not sure which direction to go to make my stocks fit me better. Likely a by product of being able to adapt to anything pretty well and quickly.

I'm like SLG in that I haven't found the perfect set of grips for me. So far the Uncle mikes rubber boot grip S&W used to sell on their wheel guns have been the best. And of course they aren't made anymore. The Hogue Bantam rubber are ok. I would like to try the Hideout grips from PGS, but no one has them in stock. I want to stipple the front strap on them. I just ordered a set of Hogue laser grips last night to try out off Amazon Prime. I'd like to try some Nill Grips, but I'm hesitant to spend that much money before I actually get my hands on them. I need to go to a gun show and see if there are any dealers with old wheel gun grips there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List