Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver grip technique

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Again, this is not like a semi-auto and you have to accept that driving a stick shift may be a bit different than driving an automatic transmission.
    I like the analogy, and your overall analysis, very much. Thanks for chiming in thus far Darryl. I have one related question for you specifically, and then a separate one for both you, and the entire forum: #1) how has your revolver grip/technique changed over the decades (if at all) as TTPs around handgun usage have evolved in general?

#2) in the Jerry vid, he is pretty quick to dismiss the "power crease" (distal phalangeal joint as contact point with the trigger) in favor of less trigger on the gun, and what to me sounds like an almost 1911 placement of the pad on the trigger face. How many here shoot wheelies this way? I'll admit to being a power crease guy, having shot LFI-1 with an NY-1 K-frame while still a college student, back when that's how it was done and I was wet behind the ears. I've been experimenting with a more "semi-auto" placement of late, since I've been drilling to switch over to my left eye, etc. anyways. Thoughts?

I don't use the power crease. Same placement for everything. Middle of the first pad right behind the cuticle.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thanks for the input, Lon.

Dunno if I rate but here goes.

I use a weaver-ish stance/grip with my thumbs locked down on each other. I aim to get the crease of the distal joint on the trigger. For J's\SP101's I haven't gotten comfortable with the thumb over reinforced grip and shoot them the same as I do bigger revolvers.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

^^^Have you tried less finger on the trigger, Hizzie?

I'm with you on the thumb cross on both the 642 and SPNY, mainly because I'm just enough of a tard that I wouldn't bet against me defaulting by accident on something like a G42 and cocking things up. I sort of like to go the gun only one way, if possible. Part of why I started this thread.

Yes, when I originally tried running an N frame. Didn't work out for me.

Now to be honest, I never noticed myself getting a bit weaver with the grip/stance until I reviewed video.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I shoot a bit of USPSA (B class) with a revo and my grip is pretty similar to an auto full thumbs forward. I have reasonably large hands and end up with a black thumbnail on my weak hand. Weak hand thumb runs right along the frame below the cylinder up by the crane. My competition N frames have the hammers bobbed and the meat between my thumb and fingers on my strong hand hangs over the top of the frame a bit.

For the trigger I run it at the first joint, but I also do the same with autos either DA striker or SA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Took some still shots from old match video of me shooting my 65 and 686SSR. I use the same grip now.

Name:  IMG_2814.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  72.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2813.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  54.2 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Took some still shots from old match video of me shooting my 65 and 686SSR. I use the same grip now.

Name:  IMG_2814.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  72.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2813.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  54.2 KB
    To a revolver guy....that is scary. You either have a short left thumb or have not shot any serious ammunition.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Short left thumb. I have Burger King hands. Somewhere b/t small and medium gloves.
    Last edited by Lon; 01-14-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List