Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver grip technique

Revolver grip technique

Ok folks, I've done the custom search thing, and found a bunch of threads (including a few where my own responses actually made sense) but, with the exception of some J-frame specific discussion, and generic talk of thumbs forward v thumbs down, I didn't find an epic, be all end all discussion of controlling 6 and 7 shot wheelies larger than j-frames (Lots of cool talk on "grips", but I'm looking at software here).

At least not anything rising to PF standards. There's *at least* 6 guys on here I'd particularly like to hear comment from—and see pics; you know who you are. Plus, there's all the other smart folk who may be sitting on long term—and current—wheelie experience that's not as widely advertised. I'm interested in seeing if we can reach some conclusions/consensual ideas on running service size wheelguns in the 21st century. Thanks a million in advance for the help and input, and for humoring me.

You've probably seen this but worth adding for those that haven't

So who are the "at least 6" people you wanna hear from?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I shoot mine similar to how I shoot a 1911...thumbs flagged.

I have large hands, and I've gotten the sooty thumb when I forget to keep my thumbs away from the forcing cone/cylinder gap. Otherwise, stance is much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have medium sized hands. I shoot my K/L frames like Jerry shoots the X frame. I've never owned an N for and and haven't shot one in over a decade. Never shot an X frame either.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Here is a photo tutorial with Jerry Miculek showing how he grips revolvers. I actually ran across yesterday as I was trying to figure out how to improve my grip on J frames and he shows methods for both smaller and larger revolvers.

ETA I'm sure I'm not one of the 6, but I figured Jerry Miculek is worthy of sharing
    Last edited by scw2; 01-12-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post

ETA I'm sure I'm not one of the 6, but I figured Jerry Miculek is worthy of sharing
    Totally. Note the emphasis on "at least." 35-40 good responses is "at least 6" (sort of like college age me getting pulled while riding my 1986 Honda Interceptor: "do you know how fast you were going up that hill?" "I'd say *at least* 70, officer...")

Any input is welcome. PF is home to at least 6 members—off the top of my head—who are widely known for offering revolver specific training to good review, or otherwise have publicly shown revolver advocacy. Dr. House is one such affable dinosaur, but I'm sure PF has others who I may not even be aware of.

Sherm, I shoot K and smaller like you do, FWIW. But I'm absolutely a thumbs forward, strong hand thumb on medial joint of support hand; canted/locked wrist, support thumb extended to match trigger finger-type shooter with Glocks. My revolver grip feels mildly laissez-faire compared to modern semi auto think.

Hence the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Totally. Note the emphasis on "at least." 35-40 good responses is "at least 6" (sort of like college age me getting pulled while riding my 1986 Honda Interceptor: "do you know how fast you were going up that hill?" "I'd say *at least* 70, officer...")

Any input is welcome. PF is home to at least 6 members—off the top of my head—who are widely known for offering revolver specific training to good review, or otherwise have publicly shown revolver advocacy. Dr. House is one such affable dinosaur, but I'm sure PF has others who I may not even be aware of.

Sherm, I shoot K and smaller like you do, FWIW. But I'm absolutely a thumbs forward, strong hand thumb on medial joint of support hand; canted/locked wrist, support thumb extended to match trigger finger-type shooter with Glocks. My revolver grip feels mildly laissez-faire compared to modern semi auto think.

Hence the thread.
    Thank you Sir! Indeed...when I'm not pulling teeth or extolling the virtues and practical accuracy of the S&W M&P 9mm ([emoji6]) I'm a wheelgun advocate. I agree with your placement, and I like Jerry's idea of putting, "as much meat on the gun as possible." Tom Givens teaches a similar grip in his Defensive Revolver course. I also like Jerry's view on reducing the length of the lever arm/fulcrum relationship by high gripping the gun, even at the expense of bobbing/dehorning hammers to remove mechanical impedance.

I find that sometimes I involuntarily shift my arm placement into a semi, "push/pull/Weaver-esque," whilst still remaining square to the target to maximize contact with my thumbs and the left side of the revolver's frame. Not so much that I have a grossly asymmetric arm placement, just slightly so that my thumbs can rotate closer together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I did miss the "at least" but was kidding about the 6 person thing. I have virtually zero experience on revolvers so have no experience/knowledge of my own to share, but am interested in seeing the responses you receive since I just got a J frame (I blame DB for all his pictures of revolvers).

"Sherm, I shoot K and smaller like you do, FWIW. But I'm absolutely a thumbs forward, strong hand thumb on medial joint of support hand; canted/locked wrist, support thumb extended to match trigger finger-type shooter with Glocks. My revolver grip feels mildly laissez-faire compared to modern semi auto think."

It's not a Glock...... Many years ago a very wise old firearms instructor was watching my issues shooting a Glock and said "Son, that ain't a 1911, quit trying to shoot it like one". I always shake my head when I see folks all wrapped around the axle because whatever gun they are shooting "doesn't work with MY grip". Well no kidding. What I look at it is that your grip doesn't fix that gun....what is easier to adapt? I wonder how these people ever manage to exit or even drive a non-familiar vehicle.

Here are a couple big pluses to a revolver. First, the ammunition does not function the gun. You do not need as firm a grip. It is why I believe that revolvers tend to be more reliable in actual gunfights than autos, but are far less reliable as high round count training guns. Additionally, you can stock a revolver to Near perfectly fit your exact hand and grip. Grips are VERY personal on a revolver and you can get them totally fit to your hand and even the shooting discipline the gun is being used for.i have a thread here about old guys and stocks. Many of the legendary revolver shooters had grips made exactly for them. I talked to Bill Laughridge this weekend for a long time and he was asking me to send my Colt Cobra long frame with Fuzzy Farrant stocks on it. When Bill Laughridge's eyes light up and says "you have a long frame Cobra with Farrant's", like a kid at Christmas.....you know he gets it. Much of this is lost art, but when you figure out about finding stocks to fit YOU, it is a light bulb. I hoard old Rogers/Safarilands as they work great for me. Others love the old Pachmayers. Just need to find what is perfect.

I will try to post pictures later of my revolver grip......which is likely a bit different from others due to hand size. Also, how you grip a revolver may differ with the amount of recoil you are trying to control. Again, this is not like a semi-auto and you have to accept that driving a stick shift may be a bit different than driving an automatic transmission.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 01-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List