Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimber offers a few new finishes, sights, and grips-calls it 5 new models

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Stephanie, I was at a local FFL today whose regular price for the stainless model is $779. His "allotment," (according to the owner, that is based on how much he bought from Kimber last year) was three - all of which he sold very quickly. He added he hasn't had any feedback to date. Like many newer FFL'S, his customer base is younger and as a result, mostly semi-auto buyers rather than wheel guns.
    I'd still pass. I'm of the opinion that a company that's been making revolvers for 40 (or 150) years might have it figured out a bit better than the guys who just decided to make one because reasons. And even the old hands have QC problems from time to time. Don't see why I'd want to pay to be a beta-tester.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'd still pass. I'm of the opinion that a company that's been making revolvers for 40 (or 150) years might have it figured out a bit better than the guys who just decided to make one because reasons. And even the old hands have QC problems from time to time. Don't see why I'd want to pay to be a beta-tester.

Guess I wasn't very clear - there's no way I was advocating buying one of the new Kimbers. I just happened to be in a gun shop where I knew they sold their share of Kimbers and thought I'd do a little research. I'll be getting any feedback that they receive and, good or bad, I'll pass it along.
    Last edited by 11B10; 02-23-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Guess I wasn't very clear - there's no way I was advocating buying one of the new Kimbers.
    I didn't think you were. I was merely expressing my feelings about the new Kimbers.

Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but a person can buy an 80% 1911 frame and roll their own, if they so choose. If one compared the number of people who have built their own revolver to those who built their own 1911, it would essentially be 1 vs. a very large number. (Or, for skiers, double-black diamond compared to green circle.) My 100% uneducated guess is that making a good revolver is quite a few skill levels above making a good 1911.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I didn't think you were. I was merely expressing my feelings about the new Kimbers.

Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but a person can buy an 80% 1911 frame and roll their own, if they so choose. If one compared the number of people who have built their own revolver to those who built their own 1911, it would essentially be 1 vs. a very large number. (Or, for skiers, double-black diamond compared to green circle.) My 100% uneducated guess is that making a good revolver is quite a few skill levels above making a good 1911.
    There's a reason I only consider well seasonsed revolver makers with a history of quality (everyone makes mistakes however).

In semi's, when the firing happens the slide moves on the X axis, and a spring tube takes care of the Y axis (magazine), and the barrel tilts slightly in the rotational plane that's on the same lineation as the slide (let's call that C). Note that everything is located on the X plane, and most movement happens on the X axis. Timing of barrel lock/unlock and actionwork is key, and actionwork typically acts in the X and C planes, but they are independent of each other.

Revolvers have a rotating cylinder opposite of the bore (let's call that Z), action work acting in the C, X, and Y planes, and the action work and lockup are timed together in the same unit. So....yeah, I'd say you're right on that one.

There has been one for sale on my local Armslist page for several weeks now.
    The price started at 1600.00 firm and is now listed at $750.00 with some trade options. Supposedly it is unfired.
    I have thought about making an offer on it but the whole "pay to be a beta tester" bothers me. I did that with one of the first 300 SIG GSRs when they came out. The one with the little manhole looking screw on the slide. That thing literally came apart at the 24th round fired through it. The repair process was a disaster as well.
    I know it's two different companies, but that experience has stayed with me.
    Last edited by KPD; 03-01-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Extra word that needed removing

Might be a good alternative to the Colt Custom Shop.

I keeed, I keeed....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I finally saw one:

At 900 clams-- pass.
    This looks like it was designed either by an engineer who hasn't learned how to make pretty shapes in CAD, or for a CNC programmer who hasn't learned how to make them in metal.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Grant Cunningham supposedly had something to do with it which surprised me since he goes on and on about "modern striker fired" guns, Steyrs in particular, on podcasts he's on. I guess his reputation as a revolver smith helps him get revolver centered book gigs and consulting work at Kimber to pay the rent so good for him.

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

I bought one and it shoots beautifully with a very smooth no stacking trigger. I know there is a lot of Kimber hate on the interweb, but all of my 1911's are great and this snubby is no different. Get your hands on one if you can and give it a shot.

My nearest LGS has one in stock. The owner told me Kimber allocated one to each of their dealers for every $10k in Kimber product they moved last year. I thought the trigger was smooth and not too heavy. Way too expensive for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List