Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taper or roll crimp semi auto rifle ammo?

Taper or roll crimp semi auto rifle ammo?

I'm trying to make up my mind on .223 AR ammo, I use a Lee FCD on my .300blk stuff.
    #RESIST

Makes no difference with rifle ammo since it head spaces off of the shoulder and not the mouth. I don’t even crimp my .223 ammo.

I taper crimp my 223 rounds with a Dillon die.

The lines are blurred for me as to what an FCD does that a taper crimp die doesn't do. The only difference that I can see is that some taper and definitely all roll crimp dies can be affected by case OAL. You definitely have to make sure that the cases are very close in length when using a roll crimp die or it will buckle the case.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Makes no difference with rifle ammo since it head spaces off of the shoulder and not the mouth. I don’t even crimp my .223 ammo.
    I don't crimp ammo that will be soley used in my bolt guns but I do put a slight crimp on anything going through a semi auto to prevent setback.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I roll crimp with my AK. I haven't found any issues in about 4 years.

I ever so slightly slightly kiss .223 with a Dillon Taper crimp die. Process is size/trim with an RT1200 and expand case mouth with a M-die for seating flat base bullets in a case neck that is very tight post-RT1200.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I ever so slightly slightly kiss .223 with a Dillon Taper crimp die. Process is size/trim with an RT1200 and expand case mouth with a M-die for seating flat base bullets in a case neck that is very tight post-RT1200.
    Jeez, I wish you lived closer so that I could pick your brain.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Jeez, I wish you lived closer so that I could pick your brain.
    I've reconfigured the Mark 7/1050 for 40S&W (friend bought the conversion hit - about $600 as he is changing divisions to USPSA Limited/Major).

After that it will be a cycle of 223 brass processing (another friend, a 3-gun pro, is bringing over his RT1500), then 223 loading, then back to 9mm brass processing and loading.

You learn with each cycle.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I should probably revise my answer. If I’m loading cheap 55gr blasting ammo, I will use a slight crimp. I use the Lee factory crimp die for that. Otherwise I don’t crimp even for an auto. Good case neck tension is very important however.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don't crimp ammo that will be soley used in my bolt guns but I do put a slight crimp on anything going through a semi auto to prevent setback.
    ^^^^^^^^

Ditto This
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List