Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive shotgun

Inexpensive shotgun

A co-worker wants to buy a home defense shotgun. $750.00 aprox is his limit. Pump or semi is OK. What are your recommendations and why please.
    Thanks
    Last edited by UNK; 01-11-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Used 870 Police is a standard of reliability and one of the best shotgun values around.

I think you have to spend more to get into the modern reliable semi-autos.

Not that you asked and you've likely gone down this path, but the new cheaper Colt/S&W ARs would probably be an even better idea if the guy isn't an experienced shotgun user.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 01-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.

You can get a Beretta 1301 for $800 from Arms Unlimited which is only slightly above his budget. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612451710

Myself and a few others from PF have ordered their 1301 from AU and I would recommend them.

Solid gun, reliable, soft recoil, fast and fun gun to shoot. Thread on the 1301T here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-1301-Tactical

I would have to say the 590A1. Tough, reliable, tang-safety, good aftermarket.

I have a Vang'd barrel and Surefire fore-end on mine and I am very happy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Didn't realize a 1301 was that cheap, that would be my first choice in that case.

Had good success with a 590A1 as well, just seems like I see a ton of used 870Ps relative to 500A1's.

You can find a used 870 police magnum with rifle sights, at Keislers for the $500 range. or an 1187P...

Use the rest of the budget on ammo, training, and practice.

https://www.kiesler.com/product/deta...-shotgun-case/

https://www.kiesler.com/product/deta...ued-condition/

https://www.kiesler.com/product/deta...extension-kit/
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-11-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    A co-worker wants to buy a home defense shotgun. $750.00 aprox is his limit. Pump or semi is OK. What are your recommendations and why please.
    Thanks
    870s are great values but Operator error is the number one issue with pump guns.

If your friend is not a shooter / hunter I'd advise a semi like the 1301 or a budget AR like the S&W sport.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    870s are great values but Operator error is the number one issue with pump guns.

If your friend is not a shooter / hunter I'd advise a semi like the 1301 or a budget AR like the S&W sport.
    I know he used to shoot trap but I am not sure what he shot. I looked at the link for the Beretta, I'm lost on that choke type they list, Optima HP Bore. I am assuming whatever that is it can shoot slugs? Any slug or only certain types? Also is there a tube extension for this gun?
    Last edited by UNK; 01-11-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

As many have stated, there are a variety of options which are all contradictory. Here are my thoughts:

1. "Home Defense" and "Inexpensive" shouldn't mix
    2. Pump action shotguns are prone to user-induced malfunctions, recoil hard, and are, generally, not very pleasant to shoot. Combine those factors, and you get an inexpensive hard to run weapon that the owner likely doesn't train with. As my Russian friends would say: "Diss iss prohblehm"
    3. Semiautomatic shotguns are easier on the shooter, are less prone to user-induced malfunctions, but are much more expensive and tend to be somewhat finicky on ammunition. They also only recoil a little less than semis (depending on make and model).
    4. All shotguns are low capacity, slow to reload, and generally large (unwieldy in tight quarters)
    5. Lots of people believe lots of bad myths about shotguns, their effectiveness as "room clearers" and the "don't have to aim them" BS

For all of the above reasons, I would second (or third, or fourth) an entry-level AR as a MUCH better HD long arm. The AR is smaller, lighter, easier to maneuver, MUCH less prone to user-induced malfunctions, more accurate, MUCH softer recoiling, higher capacity, easier to reload, and plenty hard hitting. It's also much more pleasant to shoot, leading to a higher likelihood of a shooter actually training with their HD weapon (I know, shocking concept!)

If the AR is not practical based on local restrictions on ownership, I would still recommend a good basic handgun over a shotgun. Searching with a handheld light with a pistol in your main hand is easy. Doing so with a shotgun, not so much. Handguns are easier to secure and store, easier to load, easier to shoot (WRT recoil, at a minimum) and more likely to be practiced with than a shotgun.

Don't get me wrong, I think a shotgun, loaded with slugs, in well trained experienced hands is as close to the Finger of God as it's possible to get in defensive weapons, but I definitely don't recommend it for new shooters or non-dedicated users.

Regards,

Kevin

I find the manual of arms and problem solving to be easier with an AR than any pump or self loading shotgun I've used
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-11-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List