Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my 642 -questions

Upgrading my 642 -questions

Got a small bonus at work and I've decided to upgrade my reloading set up a little bit and tune up my 642. I have some 405 Crimson Trace grips headed my way. I'm also thinking about adding the Apex Duty spring kit. Between the Performance Center action job on it plus the practice and dry firing I've done with it I think I'm gonna pass on trying any stoning or other more involved action work. What I'd like opinions on is the extended firing pin that comes with some of the Apex kits. Is it necessary or just a peace of mind issue? Also, I've read of some people using Kroil penetrating oil to slick up the insides. Do J frames typically need that level of stripping down, is that even a recommended step? Like I've read around here, is the juice worth the squeeze? If the Kroil is really that good I'd be ahead to go ahead and get some and have to use on my other revolvers.
    P. S I know the proper way to remove the side plate and I have the right size and kind of screwdrivers to not jack anything up on that part of the job. That said, is the "pickle fork" screwdriver I've read about using to remove the rebound spring worth it as well?

P.P.S. Can someone shoot me the link for the stainless brush that I've read about for cleaning the cylinders. Also speaking of cleaning, is the lead away cloth still recommended for cleaning the carbon off the end of the cylinder? I've got a new box of wadcutters headed to my reloading bench and I'm gonna get some guns dirty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 01-21-2017 at 11:55 PM.

I have used the lead away cloths, they work. I like Flitz Metal Polish better. I never do anything to my J-Frame action but clean, lube, and dry fire. I dry fire at least 1000 times before I shoot the gun. Then I dry fire practice at least once a week while practicing grip, trigger control, and sight alignment.

Site Supporter
    If you already have a performance center action job, I question whether any further attention to the internals will be of benefit. Maybe you want to play around with springs and extended firing pin, but if it is reliable now, with the springs and pin it has, then your experimenting will likely do no harm, so long as you are always able to return it back to original configuration if an experimental configuration proves less reliable.

All I've ever done to mine is shoot it, clean it, and lube it. I paint the sights when the paint wears off.

Like Duelist said, with the PC action job you probably do not need the Apex kit.
    If you do install the Apex install the firing pin. It is .005-.006 longer than the stock one.

Get a cheap screwdriver. Put it in a vise and bend it to pickle fork shape. With a dremel grind a slot in the blade=cheap pickle fork.
    You can also use a phillips that fits inside the recoil spring.

Should be rebound spring.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    Like Duelist said, with the PC action job you probably do not need the Apex kit.
    Get a cheap screwdriver. Put it in a vise and bend it to pickle fork shape. With a dremel grind a slot in the blade=cheap pickle fork.
    You can also use a phillips that fits inside the recoil spring.
    Also, you can get the tool at http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...l-prod774.aspx. It made my life easier when I had to change out a spring a "smith" had chopped and made it very easy to skip a cylinder in DA firing.

East ex, you're looking at this WAY too difficult. A J frame needs just a TOUCH of lube in a couple of places... And, in fact, will go for months with NO lube and still work fine. Too much, OTOH, can indeed cause some issues.

We can discuss this in detail if you care to. I won't get any more involved unless you would like to continue discussion. Not trying to be prickly... Just staying out of the way unless asked. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    East ex, you're looking at this WAY too difficult. A J frame needs just a TOUCH of lube in a couple of places... And, in fact, will go for months with NO lube and still work fine. Too much, OTOH, can indeed cause some issues.

We can discuss this in detail if you care to. I won't get any more involved unless you would like to continue discussion. Not trying to be prickly... Just staying out of the way unless asked. :-)

If Eastex is interested I'd love to hear your response as well, otherwise I will shoot you PM

PS Glad to see you back active and posting regularly!

I think more than a few of us would be interested.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Definitely interested.

User Tag List