Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new Federal 38 wadcutter-ish round?

Site Supporter

A new Federal 38 wadcutter-ish round?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ion-offerings/

This looks interesting. Anyone have the inside story?

Site Supporter
    Looks like it's a deep seated 130gr +P HST.
    http://www.range365.com/federal-38-s...oming-to-range
    Adam

That may function in a certain .38 special converted 1911.....
    Taking a break from social media.

Looks like the definition of "speedloader unfriendly", for a inconsecuential gain in burn efficiency...

Since I've never had any trouble getting accurate 38 spl loads for a snubby (at any power range desired) with normal powders and bullets, I fail to see the attraction.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Looks like the definition of "speedloader unfriendly", for a inconsecuential gain in burn efficiency...

Since I've never had any trouble getting accurate 38 spl loads for a snubby (at any power range desired) with normal powders and bullets, I fail to see the attraction.
    Less powder to get the same speed should result in a (admittedly minor) reduction in recoil. Powder exits the barrel as either gas or unburnt particles. Mass leaving the barrel makes recoil via the equal/opposite reaction thing. I'm sure there's formulas to determine such things, but I'm not math-smart enough to go to that depth.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Less powder to get the same speed should result in a (admittedly minor) reduction in recoil. Powder exits the barrel as either gas or unburnt particles. Mass leaving the barrel makes recoil via the equal/opposite reaction thing. I'm sure there's formulas to determine such things, but I'm not math-smart enough to go to that depth.
    The formulas are here:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

For a normal 38 spl load, the powder only contributes to about 5% of total recoil. If you reduce the powder charge 10% thanks to deep bullet seating, the overall recoil reduction would be only 0.5%.

I'm no SME by any means but:
    Wouldn't the bullet's dwell time in the case now be increased, and as a result an increase in pressures, and/or an increase in pressure duration?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I'm no SME by any means but:
    Wouldn't the bullet's dwell time in the case now be increased, and as a result an increase in pressures, and/or an increase in pressure duration?
    I'm no engineer so I don't understand dwell time, but I would think that if this caused a material increase in pressure any wadcutter bullet would do pretty much the same thing. But then again, I don't understand dwell time in the first place.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The formulas are here:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

For a normal 38 spl load, the powder only contributes to about 5% of total recoil. If you reduce the powder charge 10% thanks to deep bullet seating, the overall recoil reduction would be only 0.5%.
    That would be admittedly minor. Perhaps, and I'm claiming no expertise here, it could also reduce muzzle flash. It may just be marketing, the "something different" that folks look for, but I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Site Supporter
    Looks like a reversed hbwc.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 01-11-2017 at 01:22 PM.

User Tag List