Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a small SUV

Another vote for a Soob here.

We had a 1999 Subaru Legacy wagon that my wife drove for 200,000 miles. Total unexpected repairs came to about 60 dollars. Once it hit 200K I told her she couldn't drive it anymore and she bought a new Outback in 2008.

I drove that old Legacy for another 160,000 miles until I just got sick of it. We gave it to her niece and she took it up over 400,000 miles before something shiny caught her eye.

The 2008 Outback only has 106,000 miles and has yet to have any issues. It doesn't get driven as much as the older Legacy did so it'll be around for a while. I do all the repairs on our vehicles and Soobs are very well laid out for actual maintenance. (I often want to junk punch the engineers who put oil filters on the side of an engine block)

Boxer engines do use some oil so check the level every 1500 miles and just drive the crap out of them.

Get another set of wheels and mount real snow tires on them and a Soob will amaze you in the winter. People running around on all season tires have no idea how good these things are in shitty weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I do all the repairs on our vehicles and Soobs are very well laid out for actual maintenance. (I often want to junk punch the engineers who put oil filters on the side of an engine block)
    The current 2.5 motor in my Outback has the easiest oil change of any vehicle I have personally owned. If you install a Fumoto drain valve on the oil pan it is possible to complete an oil change and not get a drip of oil on you or your driveway. The oil filters mount vertically and is easily accessible from the hood area. When you remove the filter, what little oil is left drains back into the engine. I stopped doing my own oil changes long ago because of the mess it created and having to dispose of the old oil. This car might convince me to start doing my own oil changes again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andre3k; 01-18-2017 at 03:41 PM.

I guess I'm going to go against the grain here a little.

I have a 2012 Outback with 60,000 miles bought it new off the truck and it's been my daily driver since then. No reliability problems other than all the warning lights going off in Austin on a road trip and staying on for 500 miles. Talked to Subaru and they said if they aren't flashing then the problem isn't too bad and get it looked at at home. Headlights are a bear to change, I spent two tries and several hours before giving up and taking it to the dealership.

The car gets around well, averages 26-28 MPG, has a ton of room, is reasonably comfortable and has all the tech features I want but it's just boring. I have no excitement to drive it, it is literally a point A to B car. I've never seen another Outback on the road and went "Damn... that's a nice Sub".

If all you car about is a reliable car with room it's probably towards the top of the list. If you want something with some passion or pride in ownership it did nothing for me.

My lack of interest in the Outback lead to this thread and a big chunk of cash missing from my bank account
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23563-Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The towing capacity of my 3.6 is 3000 pounds.
    Tongue weight is the issue in my case.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

I have a 2012 Outback with 60,000 miles bought it new off the truck and it's been my daily driver since then. No reliability problems other than all the warning lights going off in Austin on a road trip and staying on for 500 miles. Talked to Subaru and they said if they aren't flashing then the problem isn't too bad and get it looked at at home. Headlights are a bear to change, I spent two tries and several hours before giving up and taking it to the dealership.

The car gets around well, averages 26-28 MPG, has a ton of room, is reasonably comfortable and has all the tech features I want but it's just boring. I have no excitement to drive it, it is literally a point A to B car. I've never seen another Outback on the road and went "Damn... that's a nice Sub".

If all you car about is a reliable car with room it's probably towards the top of the list. If you want something with some passion or pride in ownership it did nothing for me.

My lack of interest in the Outback lead to this thread and a big chunk of cash missing from my bank account
    I absolutely love my Subaru as I absolutely loved my Honda Accord, but I entirely agree with this. For me, cars are just not something that make me passionate, they're a tool. I imagine it's a lot how the non-gun-guy officers I worked with viewed their Glocks. Good tool, works, no further thought other than routine maintenance. If someone LOVES the art and skill of driving, Subaru makes some good stuff but the Outback is probably not it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Tongue weight is the issue in my case.
    Phrasing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Phrasing?
    I'd have to ask my wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I absolutely love my Subaru as I absolutely loved my Honda Accord, but I entirely agree with this. For me, cars are just not something that make me passionate, they're a tool. I imagine it's a lot how the non-gun-guy officers I worked with viewed their Glocks. Good tool, works, no further thought other than routine maintenance. If someone LOVES the art and skill of driving, Subaru makes some good stuff but the Outback is probably not it.
    Perfect info!!!! Thanks!

Yes, the fun factor is a must have criteria. I'm planning on having this vehicle for at least 7-10 years and I don't want boring. I'm very very hopeful on the 2018 VW Tiguan. From my wife and I having owned / leased 6 VW's, I'd say VW does fun factor better than most in the non-luxury segment. They are not without their warts, but....farfegnugen. Runner up is tied between the CRV and CX-5. I don't know, but I'd guess the build quality on the Honda is better, while the Mazda shines a little more in the fun factor.

Or just say.....f*** it and get a GTI / GLI.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Perfect info!!!! Thanks!

Yes, the fun factor is a must have criteria. I'm planning on having this vehicle for at least 7-10 years and I don't want boring. I'm very very hopeful on the 2018 VW Tiguan. From my wife and I having owned / leased 6 VW's, I'd say VW does fun factor better than most in the non-luxury segment. They are not without their warts, but....farfegnugen. Runner up is tied between the CRV and CX-5. I don't know, but I'd guess the build quality on the Honda is better, while the Mazda shines a little more in the fun factor.

Or just say.....f*** it and get a GTI / GLI.
    Dammit, hurry up and figure this out before my 2003 Infiniti G35 gives up the ghost! I'm in EXACTLY the same place re: wanting an Outback with a lot of fun factor.

Really appreciating all the viewpoints and info.

Watch out for Mazda. It may not extend to the SUV line but the Mazda 3 is notorious for chewing up it's own tires, specifically wearing out the air valves/TPMS sensors. My wife's 2008 Mazda 3 has 65,000 miles and we're on the third full set of tires, not even counting individual tires we've replaced. The fact that her gas cap melted shortly after purchase I'll chalk up to this individual car, but the tire issue is widespread and chronic.

User Tag List