Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOD wants biodegradable ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why does is that soldier in the linked article using an M4 with no RDS and only BIS...
    Zeroing the irons? It's been a few years but I feel like I rember zeroing irons then mounting the aimpoint and zeroing it. I think it is at least plausible that some refraction occurs through the lens. If you ditch the optic using the quick release and your zero was obtained with that refraction you no longer have a good zero. That's my guess. Or maybe it's an old photo from basic when they rated m4s but not the optic. That is the only iron sight I ever saw on an army m4.

As I've said before, the end is 'nigh for lead-based ammunition in a variety of roles. Make no mistake, one day we will not had lead-based bullets. And that day will likely be in my lifetime. The sooner DoD incentives the development of said ammunitions, the better off we all are as end consumers. Because it will bring the cost of R&D down as well as the cost of manufacturing. When .MIL mandates something it eventually will trickle down to those of us on the consumer end. That is one of the direct benefits of a Military-Industrial-Compex.

I used to fund SBIRs, which are usually high-risk, long-range science projects. There is a long way to go between a SBIR and a full-rate production acquisition program. The "I" in SBIR is for "innovative." These programs are supposed to be for non-conventional ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    BTW - because this is an SBIR the DoD pays NOTHING to the companies to develop. Only if they decide to actually purchase anything.
    This isn't quite right. When I was doing Army SBIRs, phase 1 awards were $50k, and they had bumped up phase 2 awards to $500k or $1M, I think.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 01-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Hell yes. Gardening would be legit!

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I used to fund SBIRs, which are usually high-risk, long-range science projects. There is a long way to go between a SBIR and a full-rate production acquisition program. The "I" in SBIR is for "innovative." These programs are supposed to be for non-conventional ideas.

This isn't quite right. When I was doing Army SBIRs, phase 1 awards were $50k, and they had bumped up phase 2 awards to $500k or $1M, I think.
    Some carry monetary awards but the way this one reads sounds to me like the long range (6.1 basic research) ones we issue. It's rare right now for those to have money attached. Army S&T funding is getting tighter and tighter. We're fighting for every penny.

So does this mean we will be able to aerate our lawns with AR's eventually.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why does is that soldier in the linked article using an M4 with no RDS and only BIS...
    Caption says it is in Germany for a "Best Warrior" competition (this is where units send their best soldier and best NCO for competition). Probably the Command Sergeants Major running the competition wanted the soldiers to shoot old school with out optics. Just getting my shot in before someone blames it on a COL.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The DoD is a lot smarter than people give them credit for being. With biodegradable training ammunition, they would reduce the cost, to the taxpayer, of future site mitigation and cleanup costs. Twenty years down the road, they could convert the range into some other use, or set up a range in a place where it would be overly costly to later clean it up.
    I do not know how many more ranges we can close and the ranges that are closed now or would be closed will already be contaminated for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I do not know how many more ranges we can close and the ranges that are closed now or would be closed will already be contaminated for decades.
    I wonder how good the data is that the ranges are really hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    I wonder how good the data is that the ranges are really hazardous.
    Much of former Ft Ord, CA, (the "deactivated military base" of Mythbusters) is unavailable for anything due to decades (pre-WWII) of use.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List