Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DOD wants biodegradable ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Much of former Ft Ord, CA, (the "deactivated military base" of Mythbusters) is unavailable for anything due to decades (pre-WWII) of use.
    Right, but how good is the data that shows it is 'unavailable for anything else'? What are they basing it on? Are they finding deformed wildlife or something? Contaminated ground water? Heavy metals in the plants?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Right, but how good is the data that shows it is 'unavailable for anything else'? What are they basing it on? Are they finding deformed wildlife or something? Contaminated ground water? Heavy metals in the plants?
    Well, when I was there 1983 to 1986 as a Manchu "Lightfighter!", the impact area was full of ordnance debris from the 1940s (I think that old) to the 1980s. I went out there to set out some fresh targets and remembered distinctly looking at "dud" 60mm mortar rounds. I was a Mortar Platoon Leader in those says - in hindsight, probably should not have gone out there but I was young and indestructable back then.

Site Supporter
    I think they worry more about unexploded ordnance. My solution- don't give it back. Keep it a military base. Deactivate it . Just because we don't need it now doesn't mean we won't some day. But I'm sure somebody's brother law wants to buy it cheap for condos

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Well, when I was there 1983 to 1986 as a Manchu "Lightfighter!", the impact area was full of ordnance debris from the 1940s (I think that old) to the 1980s. I went out there to set out some fresh targets and remembered distinctly looking at "dud" 60mm mortar rounds. I was a Mortar Platoon Leader in those says - in hindsight, probably should not have gone out there but I was young and indestructable back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I think they worry more about unexploded ordnance. My solution- don't give it back. Keep it a military base. Deactivate it . Just because we don't need it now doesn't mean we won't some day. But I'm sure somebody's brother law wants to buy it cheap for condos
    Ah, got it. I was thinking lead etc, not potentially getting blowed up. Thanks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Someone please show me a single valid study documenting that jacketed bullets with a lead core pose a health issue to humans once those bullets have come to rest in dirt.....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Someone please show me a single valid study documenting that jacketed bullets with a lead core pose a health issue to humans once those bullets have come to rest in dirt.....
    Doc, you can find those in the Holistic Medicine section right next to the volumes labeled, "You Know The Nazis Used Flouride On The Jews?" and, "What Every 2 PPD Smoker Needs To Know About Amalgam and Phosphor Plate X-ray radiation."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they will call it M855*nasally gay voice*Aaaaahhhyyyy1.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Its a Superfund site.
    Or multiple Superfund sites, if you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Well, when I was there 1983 to 1986 as a Manchu "Lightfighter!", the impact area was full of ordnance debris from the 1940s (I think that old) to the 1980s.
    The land was already being used for ranges in the 30s, I remember reading accounts of the Cav at the Presidio going over there for for quals.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List