Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DotW 10: 99 Drill

JodyH,
    Thanks for the response and thanks for the drill. I have no need for a voodoo doll unless its one of me that I can poke with pins until I can score a 90 on the 99 drill and get a consistent 6 second FAST! LOL!
    Thanks for all that you guys do to get guys like me better by reaching for the stars

G17 Gen3, concealed, 3x5 card
    Total 77/99

So I didn't use my available time very well. I made par every time with no problems at all, should have taken the time available but it was in the low 30's the other day.

This is one tough drill! Even tougher when your are outside freezing your balls off.

Start position: Gen4 G17 concealed in a Blade-Tech Nano (AIWB) under a half-zip fleece.

Target: 4x6

String #1: 20
    String #2: 25
    String #3: 25
    String #4: 7

Total score: 77/99

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If all else fails, borrow Todd's "JodyH voodoo doll" and stab it a few times, You'll feel better, I promise.
    Dude your not the only one that TLG has a Voodoo doll for.............................................
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

No voodoo doll here. Excellent drill, Jody. Its a very efficient use of 99 rounds and is going in my regular rotation.

Being a local range hero with high self-imposed standards, I too find my performance in the past few DotDubs a bit discouraging. Many of the shooters in these threads appear to be known instructors, high-level competitors, seasoned professionals, and/or genetic freaks (Travis Pastrana freaks, not the John Merrick type). This group is nothing like the folks I run into at public ranges, and its important to keep it all in perspective.

Took another whack at this last night using the Gen4 Glock 21. Same setup, used the 4x6 target. Shot a 92/99 this time, much happier with that score. First 30 shots are still the hardest for me.

I hate you JodyH. Just when I was starting to think I didn't completely suck at pistol shooting this drill had to come along and destroy my illusions.

Start position: Concealed, hands at sides. M&P 9mm in strong side holster, open front vest for concealment.
    Target 4x6 card (duh, I already knew I wasn't that good)
    Scores: Stage 1: 12
    Stage 2: 21
    Stage 3: 17
    Stage 4: 6
    Total: 56

Jody, your explanation of the drill is dead on with what I found when shooting it.
    Stage 1 = I am slow. No getting around it, I have to learn to get the gun out faster and get faster on every part of putting together a good shot.
    Stage 2 = I need more control. This stage I did the best on. I could hit the PAR time as long as I did not screw up my reload. The problem I had was I kept trying to shoot faster than I needed to and getting misses. I was finishing way too soon which is only good if it is a clean run.
    Stage 3 = Learn my limits, and get faster. I learned the most from this stage. I started out trying to get all my shots off under PAR and ended up with a lot of misses. My last 4 reps I decided to forget about the PAR time and concentrate on getting three hits on the card. Got all three hits on each of the 4 runs, only one late shot each time for 67% score. The last shot was between 3.6 and 3.7 seconds on each of those last 4 reps. It would have helped my score some if I did that from the start. Is that being a gamer or knowing my limits?

Stage 4 = Slow down on precise shots. My three misses were on the first shot of each rep. Trying to rush and finishing with plenty of time doesn't help if you miss.

Great practice session that I am going to keep working on. I left the range with a crushed ego but a feeling of accomplishment at the same time.
    Last edited by Corey; 12-12-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: My math is as good as my shooting

In before the deadline!

Start position: concealed AIWB, closed-front shirt
    Target used: 3x5
    String 1 score: 26
    String 2 score: 26
    String 3 score: 25
    String 4 score: 9
    Total score: 86

This is the first time I've shot this drill. It's a great one. I'll be using this more. It's good for me because it requires consistency.

Start position concealed with IDPA vest. Glock Gen 7 G19. Bladetech holster 4x6 target.
    Per Caleb's suggestion par time on reload string set at 6 sec with tac reload due to range limitations.

String 1 13
    String 2 18
    String 3 11
    String 4 2

Score 44.

Is there a prize for the lowest score?

Great drill. My 2 biggest problems are long range accuracy and I need to speed up. Quite a few "misses" by not going fast enough.
    Last edited by Ga Shooter; 12-12-2011 at 07:39 PM.

• Start position: concealed; Milt Sparks SSII under pearl snap shirt (oh, yeah!), CCC BMC mag pouch
    • target used: 3x5 box of Q-PT
    • score for each of the four strings of fire: 14, 11, 18, 3
    • total score: 46

I knew before I started that I should have used the larger target, but I had only the Q-PT. I plan to throw some 4x7 cards in my range bag so I can run this again once in a while.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List