Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A revolver science question

Two first hand observations.

A friend who is an SOT and avid experimenter built two revolver cans, both with .375 holes and baffles, each was of different capacity/volume. They were conventional screw ons and he spun off and threaded the 4" bull barrel on a S&W 65 for the experiments. We found that conventional subsonic .38 special was reasonably quiet with both what he considered the high volume and low volume cans, almost to the level of the 9mm subsonics in a conventional can. But the cylinder gap generated some noise. When fired with .357 rounds it was like the can was not even there almost...lots of blast and noise. No instruments involved to measure it, so that is a subjective observation.

He also picked up one of the 8mm Nagant's, threaded on a 3lug HK style muzzle device and attached an MP5 can. Quiet as a mouse. It was comparable to shooting a suppressed .22LR subsonic in an autopistol. That 8mm round is not very potent. The MP5 can sucked up all the gas.
    Last edited by fatdog; 01-10-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Germans built up a few suppressed N-frame .45s some years back. Essentially, there was a big clamshell that went over the cylinder and sealed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    IIRC, the Nagant action was reported to be quite effective as the cylider moves forward in the firing cycle and the cartridges also help seal the gap by design.

I could be full of hooey though...wife seems to think such often.
    Nagants can be made to suppress rather nicely...

Name:  mysterypic2.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  mysterypic3.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  mysterypic4.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  41.4 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My understanding is the Okhrana used supressed Nagants.

The barrel/cylinder gap in a normal DA revolver is about 0.006"+ (up to about double this value). In Freedom Arms revolvers the B/C gap is only 0.001", and you could get this or a little larger with a custom fitted cylinder in a ruger or S&W.

I think the B/C gap, cylinder holes alignment, throat and forcing cone geomety all would make a huge difference regarding noise and gas/particulate escape.

From my research files for novels:

Suppressed Nagants of various flavors. They all work well, because of the "Gas seal" nature of the revolver. They work best with proper Nagant ammunition (with the deep seated bullet). The Russians definitely used these as early as Pre-WW2, probably as early as WW1.

Knights Armament built at least two .44-caliber Redhawks for US Military. The guns had stocks, custom suppressors, and were designed to use big sub-sonic ammunition.

At least one company built a suppressed 625 for German SWAT Teams - http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ssed-revolver/ - Unknown if this was ever used.

The Russians built the OTs-38 Stechkin "Silent Revolver" which used an integrally suppressed ammunition - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTs-38...ilent_revolver

US Army Experimented with Silenced/Suppressed revolvers during Vietnam. The "Tunnel Rat Kit", included a .38 S&W revolver with a suppressor attached and downloaded .38 S&W ammunition. They supposedly didn't work well.

The last one is the Quiet Special Purpose Revolver (QSPR) - a shortened smoothbore .410 (the earliest Judge!) loaded with sub-sonic ammunition.

Edited: Oh and technically, I suppose, the Crye Precision Six12 is technically a "suppressable revolver". At least according to Crye. Remains to be seen in the wild.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-11-2017 at 10:21 PM.

In Swearengen's "Fighting Shotguns" an integrally suppressed 12ga shell was mentioned along with other oddities. That and the Crye might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Some Google-Fu revealed this:

Attachment 13066

RugerTalk Link
    That is EXACTLY the weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There was a suppressed Ruger revolver as a one off years ago. IIRC - it was written up in one of the early Gun Digest Assault Weapons (horrors) books. It was heavily modified for the gaps. It also appeared in an episode of the X-Files. However, someone else can google for it to see if I have this correct.

about 15 seconds in
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Also featured in the Season Five two-parter "Redux."

I feel all sorts of nerdy for knowing that off the top of my head.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List