Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Priorities

Training Priorities

Hello. I’m new here as a non-LEO / non-Mil participant but have been lurking for a couple of years and trying to absorb enough info to properly vet and carry a semi-auto for personal and family protection. Let me say first how grateful I am for having discovered PF. The experience, knowledge, civility and generosity of members is extraordinary.

I'm a fly-over country, suburban family man, in my mid fifties and only became interested in firearms 8 years ago. My experience level is definitely novice but I want to learn and improve. I’ve had a couple of handgun classes, the most valuable being Dave Spaulding’s Essential Pistol. Shot some IDPA matches for the experience shooting under pressure. Where I’m at now is I want to become more structured and intentional in my training and make the most of my range and dry fire time. I need some guidance in setting priorities and expectations.

For instance, today I had 1 hour. My plan was to shoot the 3x5 drill @ 3, 5, 7 and 10 yards 2 times, 25 yd for groups, 3-Two-1 and Typewriter. I ended up having a little extra time so I did a 6622 (my from memory version of the 26662) with what ammo and time I had left. Did I try to do too much?

I’ve never shot @ 25yds from a rest before and the sights are so blurry through my 50 some year old eyes that the best sight picture I could get was to lay a blurry orange ball over a blurry bull’s eye, drill the dot style. I can not see a defined edge along the top of the sight. Given that, what kind of groups should I expect and/or strive for? My groups today ranged from 3.25 to 6.75 for 5 targets (G26 w/ OEM 12rd mag). And groups were generally high of the bull’s eye since my hold was over the bull’s eye.

Other questions are:

Given an hour at an indoor range, is it best to focus on one of either accuracy or speed, or should they be split 50/50? I can draw and rapid fire but can not move about. I don’t have a shot timer yet.

At best, I can probably get 2 hours a month live fire. What’s the best way to use those 2 hours. I’m already doing things like planning the session, prepping targets and loading mags ahead of time. I need to learn though, what is the best way to work and on what should I work for that hour?

Regarding dry fire, what’s the best approach? Several different skills each day or one skill a day with different drills?

Apologies for the basic and rambling questions, trying to sort through all of the things that need to be learned and what the priorities should be feels like sipping through a fire hose right now.

You are doing great. Those 25 yd groups seem legit for that blurry sight picture.

I'm far from expert, but I like to alternate between high precision and higher speed within a session. Formally because I thought TLG's rationale for alternating fresh challenges at the brain made sense.

Maybe that one described session was a little "busy". I would have done more reps of fewer.

But there are great shooters here that approach it differently.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

First off, congratulations on already being better prepared than 90% of people who carry a gun for self defense. You have come to the right place for tips on improving your shooting. Bear in mind that the shooting aspect is just a very small part of the overall self defense picture. (Though the one I think is the most fun.) There are people here better qualified than I to answer your question, so I will let them do it.

Sounds like you're a bit ahead of me but I'm following some of the advice here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-for-Beginners

Hope that helps. I'll be watching this tread with interest.

EDIT: Early 50s here as well and battling bifocals.
    Last edited by bkent; 01-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Great to hear from another 50-something on here. I wonder, almost every day, how much longer I can continue to enjoy pistol shooting with my aging eyes.

I'm far from an expert (and hope they will chime-in) but I've found great benefit to a rough ration of 90% dry work to 10% live fire. That is, I run all my manipulations in dry-fire, calling 100% of shots and holding myself accountable for all draws, grip, presses, reloads, etc. Live fire is more like the 'test' after all the 'studying' of dry work.

Site Supporter
    56 here with those aging eyes. Monovision contacts and fiber optic front sights help me a lot. I have been shooting pistols for a long time but I spent my formative years running-gunning without proper emphasis on accuracy. I spend more time now shooting for groups - especially at 25 yards - to work on my accuracy. In my case, it is all about trigger control.

Where are you located? Don't have to post exactly but nearest large city is fine. We can guide you to a good instructor.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Warm welcome from Tampa. 58 and a noob here.

Can't add much to the above great advice, but this thread might help with Dry Practice:

Dry Practice Misconceptions - Updated 12-04-16

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the warm welcome, encouragement and advice.

Beginners page bookmarked. Thank you bkent.

Dry Practice page bookmarked. Thank you Rich.

voodoo_man, I can get almost anywhere in the lower Great Lakes region down through WV and VA. Classes or instructors on my bucket list include a MAG 40, John Farnam, Tom Givens, Dave Spaulding and Ernest Langdon. I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of but these are the ones that consistently pop up in conversations. Most of my awareness of good instructors as come from PF, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network and Tom Gresham's podcast.

And along with MVS's point, while I'm no expert shooter, my weakest area is the fighter mindset. I need to find training for and develop a mindset that prevails.

Thank you all again!

You have a good list of instructors already.

I'd also checkout MDFI if I was in the great lakes area. Trek runs MDFI and is a great guy.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

User Tag List