134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left Handed

29 21.64%
  • Right Handed

105 78.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handedness Poll 2017

Handedness Poll 2017

So, I'm curious what the distribution of left-handed vs. right-handed folks is on pistol-forum?

Generally, what I have seen said online is that about 10% of the population is left handed. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness

So here is an interesting story: Early in my career I volunteered for a three year program in the UK. We had 150 guys that came over to live, between the two sites that the job was being run out of.

So one day we did a straw poll, and like 50% of EVERYONE on this program was left-handed. It was a pretty successful, as these things go; we delivered 41 airplanes and a complete training schoolhouse on time and on budget (I worked on the trainer side) for 2.1B UK Pounds. It is still serving the Royal Navy today. (My theory was that it was all the lefties. )

So, that (maybe) being the case, I am wondering about the percentage of lefties here, and whether or not the improved shooting ability, discerning training acumen, and sheer good looks () of this group are associated with a higher percentage of southpaws.

Votes are anonymous; if you are truly ambi, pick the one you shoot most often with.

I am right handed.....but I don't like to be defined by my handedness!

I use my non other strong hand.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-09-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

In the context of P-F the only things that my left hand is worth a shit at doing are:

* Stabilizing the gun.

* Feeding said gun magazines.

* Pokey stabby monkey things with a blade, and not that well.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Left handed people are recognized for their intelligence and humbleness.

Site Supporter
    Being left handed - I am awesome.

Years ago there was a study by Coren and Halpern (both I know well and friends) that postulated left handers died earlier. That was supposedly because:

1. More accidents in a right handed dominant world
    2. Left handness according to some models was a soft sign of neurological damage, leading to problems.

It became very controversial, Coren told me he got hate and death threats from left handed radicals.

Whether it held up, I don't think so but too lazy to search on follow ups.

I've had no real problems shooting left-handed. Revolvers are no problem, nor are Glocks. I put an ambi safety on my 1911. I can handle my AR ok but have toyed with the idea of a lefty version but haven't. Reason - if it goes belly up during the apocalpyse, left handed parts might be hard to find.

Lefty here. I can confirm the former. The latter, well, it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

I might only be a legend in my own mind, but I'm still a legend.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 01-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I'm left handed, but, shoot rifles, shotguns, pistols right handed why? I don't know, it just feels right..I do write, throw balls, etc, left handed. I do remember in the first grade, (and that's going back aways)my teacher taking that big fat pencil we used, out of my left hand and putting it into my right, as soon as she left, I switched back, this went on for awhile and she finally gave up.

I can shoot with either hand, bat righty, and cannot eat rice off a fork using my left hand.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    lefties.
    So, that (maybe) being the case, I am wondering about the percentage of lefties here, and whether or not the improved shooting ability, discerning training acumen, and sheer good looks () of this group are associated with a higher percentage of southpaws.
    I am right handed but left eyed, so I shoot left handed most of the time; mainly because I shoot rifles mostly. I shoot handguns and shotguns right handed.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm left-handed...as in, I write and eat left-handed. But I shoot (and do most everything else) right-handed because nobody wants to be that poor schmuck wandering the aisles looking for a left-handed IWB holster for a 3" K-frame.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List