Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting season with 8" .300 Blackout

Hunting season with 8" .300 Blackout

I had a chance to take two deer this year with the .300 BO.

Rifle specs:
    Stag sbr lower - BCM lower parts with ALG QMS trigger. No reason for the parts other than known quality, this is the only lower I've put together.
    Aero 8" upper - All Aero upper and bolt, BCM charging handle, AAC 51T Flash Hider
    Optic - DNZ one piece mount and Weaver V-3 (thanks to Lost River mentioning in another thread)
    Ammunition - Barnes 110 Tac TX
    Suppressor - AAC SDN 762

Deer # 1 - Small (70lb) doe. Running shot broadside at about 45 yards in a field. 1 bullet to deer dropped it. Pass through but good damage during pass through and upon exit. This was unsuppressed and a buddy who was within 75 yards said it sounded like a shotgun or pistol. Scope set on 3x.

Deer # 2 - Large Medium antlerless buck (120lb). Facing shot at 65 yards in a brushy cutover. Bullet entered chest on the left side, knicked right side of heart, wrecked right lung, knicked liver and lodged 4" into the right hindquarter. Viewing the entry of the chest from the inside of the deer was impressive, looked like one of my broadheads had made it. ETA - Recovered bullet weight 100.3 grains. Measurement across two petal side .639", one petal side .448"
    I haven't weighed or measured bullet, it only lost one of 4 petals. This was with the SDN 762 on the gun. Closest friend was 350 yards or so away and did not hear the shot. Scope set on 3x.

My thoughts -
    I really like the handiness of this rifle on/in the stand and would be comfortable taking a shot on deer out to 100 yards. Looking forward to coyote hunting with it in the next few months. My 8yo also really enjoys shooting it. The collapsible stock and low power variable make this kid friendly.

Pics of the antlerless buck and bullet.

Name:  deer .300 sbr.jpg
Views: 6959
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  tsx1.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  tsx2.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  23.3 KB
    Last edited by vaspence; 01-09-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Recovered bullet weight, width

Gotta show this to my younger son. We set him up with 16-in. MGM .300 bbl on TC, has it zeroed for same load with Leupold 1.75-6X and he never got off his butt to go afield this season! This is our antlerless season through Friday, maybe he'll get motivated.

Good shooting and report!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

So much like, so much jealousy over hunting land. Well done!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Gotta show this to my younger son. We set him up with 16-in. MGM .300 bbl on TC, has it zeroed for same load with Leupold 1.75-6X and he never got off his butt to go afield this season! This is our antlerless season through Friday, maybe he'll get motivated.

Good shooting and report!
    Our go to kid caliber for years had been 7mm TCU, I have two Contenders setup as carbines in it. The commercial availability of performance .300BO has negated those though. I never had a 7mm bullet that performed like that Barnes did.
    I also have a 16" AAC Handi in .300 but that MGM barrel has been tempting me. The Contender triggers are so nice. Having a hard time ignoring the 6.5 Grendel thread though.

Good luck to him!
    Last edited by vaspence; 01-10-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So much like, so much jealousy over hunting land. Well done!
    I'm a very lucky guy and know it. Extremely fortunate to have a small group of good friends who do all the heavy lifting to keep relationships good with neighbors and have an ear to the ground on available land. Doesn't hurt that as a club we've been hunting the same land since the 1940s and everyone but a couple of us own or live right in the midst of it. The few pieces of land that we lease are from family members or multi generation neighbors. The times are changing even for us, it's different than it was 20 years ago. People are aging out. I hope we can continue the magic through a couple more generations but even in rural Virginia it's not the same as it was 20 years ago.
    Last edited by vaspence; 01-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Why only out to 100 yards? I would think it would be good for 200 or 250, but i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Why only out to 100 yards? I would think it would be good for 200 or 250, but i don't know.
    No reason other than I only shot it to 100 and am not certain of the drop heading further out. I set this rifle up for my 8yo and he is only consistent to around 60 yards. And to be honest I don't do as much shooting past 100 yards with low powered variables below 4x as I have in years past. Hunting season for deer is over for me so I'll be happy to see how far I can push it at the range, I'm really liking the Weaver V3.
    Last edited by vaspence; 01-10-2017 at 11:33 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Our go to kid caliber for years had been 7mm TCU, I have two Contenders setup as carbines in it. The commercial availability of performance .300BO has negated those though. I never had a 7mm bullet that performed like that Barnes did.
    I also have a 16" AAC Handi in .300 but that MGM barrel has been tempting me. The Contender triggers are so nice. Having a hard time ignoring the 6.5 Grendel thread though.

Good luck to him!
    I'm having a shiny-thing syndrome around a 7mm TCU carbine Contender barrel. Did you ever run the Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip in your TCUs? That seems to be the sweet spot for velocity/BC/expansion in a 7TCU carbine, at least from the reading I've been able to do.

I'm pretty set with .300 BLK stuff, so if there's really no difference or the TCU would actually be a step back vs. the 110 Barnes, I'd clearly be wasting time and money to play with another Contender barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    No reason other than I only shot it to 100 and am not certain of the drop heading further out.
    I've found that the dope at https://www.federalpremium.com/on/de...in-Show?rurl=1 matches with what happens in the real world out to a bit over 500 yards.

You'll need to dial elevation to take advantage of it, though.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Waidmann’s Heil!
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List