Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacks

Backpacks

Happy New Year, all. I'm looking for a replacement for my getting-tired 2008 vintage Camelback monstrosity 3-day-pack. For background, I'm plain clothes Federal LE, and I no longer work in a position that requires me to do extended foot movements through challenging terrain. I'm looking for a bag that does the following:

1. Comfortably carry a 15" laptop (sometimes, but rarely, two - sigh), a portfolio with notebook/pens/forms, etc, at least one spare magazine, spare flashlight (Surefire Fury sized), TQ and other 1st aid essentials, and one (but strongly prefer two) WORKABLE bottle/cup holders.
    2. NOT look like I'm going to jump it into Tora Bora - e.g. I DON'T want an acre or two of molle, Velcro and other tactical goodness decorating the outside. I prefer something other than basic SWAT black, and absolutely no camo patterns, regardless of what SEALFORCEDELTARESCUE-66 is carrying this week.

In the past I used a messenger bag style, but the recent one I tried failed on the external drink holders, and, frankly, with carry strap was so slick it would LEAP off my shoulder unless I went the full month sling-across body technique.

For XMas my much better half got me a VertX Gamut, and, while it'll hold a laptop and my portfolio, that's about it. Loved the way I could internally velcro mags/light/baton/tq/etc, but honestly couldn't even get a couple of low-fat Greek yogurt containers into it to take to work for lunch. Also, the drink-sleeves on the sides are so skimpy that none of my travel mugs will fit.

I've tried the 5.11 COVRT 18, and it met a lot of the requirements, but several of the bungees snapped within two weeks of buying it, so I'm not sure I want to go that route again.

So, what's working for the assembled brain trust?

My go-to dapypack, business travel, away from home, etc etc rig has been the HPG Umlindi and Attache. Simple and minimalist. Really comfy as well.

Not super "low-profile" but better than most and big enough to do duty as a carry-on or weekend bag, and comfortable enough to hike with. Pricey set-up, yes, but I really respect what the Hill bros have done, plus I have a shit ton of HPG gear.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

GoRuck GR1. Molle for the drink holders. I've been using one for bidness for a couple years now and am impressed with the ruggedness and simplicity.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have a special, stripped down version of Tactical Tailor's Removable Operator Pack with no MOLLE.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/remova...ratorpack.aspx

It's close to the perfect size for my needs. But it was a custom order by my unit for recruiting purposes and is not available for individual purchase.

I like Milspec Monkeys' version of this same pack, available here in a lot of different colors for a very good price:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/milspec-adaptpack.html

This pack could easily sell for $150.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 01-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    GoRuck GR1. Molle for the drink holders. I've been using one for bidness for a couple years now and am impressed with the ruggedness and simplicity.
    I have a gr1 which I really love and carry everyday.

I have a vertx gamut which I like as well but it's not big enough and has a bit of tacticool look to it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I've been using the Camelbak Urban Assault Concealment pack lately. It was supposedly designed for the Secret Service, it very low profile and has lots of cool gun-friendly features.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I have a gr1 which I really love and carry everyday.

I have a vertx gamut which I like as well but it's not big enough and has a bit of tacticool look to it.
    GoRuck's with the molle still peg the meter, they also still have the patch panel. If they still offered their slick pack I'd jump all over one. Otherwise it's just more of the same BS that the larpers wear and carry.

I have theVertx Gamut Plus in a limited color. It's grey with red and looks straight outta the Target back to school aisle and can sustain me with a laptop for a week or more. They have a new colorway... Worth looking into.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

OP,

I have a VertX Gamut Plus that I would be happy to part with, PM if curious.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I wish GoRuck would bring back their Slick bags.

Edit to add: Yup, what Orionz said! Bring back the Slick!!
    Last edited by Dropkick; 01-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Only one bottle holder but otherwise decidedly non tactical. All "Ebags" branded stuff has a lifetime warranty. Typically, if you give them an email, you get a lot of additonaly 20-30% off coupons.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10317756

I have lost track of how many agents I have seen using "Swiss Gear" products. This seems to fit your bill.

http://www.ebags.com/product/swissge...uctid=10111179

Finally, this is another Ebags model at under 40.00

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/s...uctid=10472556

User Tag List