Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacks

My favorite backpack is an old Dana Design pack I bought aeons ago. However my go-to daypack now is an LBT 3-day pack. They pretty regularly have them on sale for around $100. If you want a functional, durable (with a lifetime warranty), made in the USA backpack I can't recommend these enough.

LBT has this model on sale now in some pretty nondescript colors. I'd check it out. http://lbtinc.com/8k3a

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can't vouch for them but I've been tempted to try them several times.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/mobile/...oductCode=6022
    Likewise. I've heard good things among gear nerds though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I hate and love grey ghost.

The price points are attractive and the stuff seems like it'll do exactly what I want except I've yet to read a single review or third party statement on many of their items...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Just saw this. Not sure if it's a new design but it's a more traditional style. May be a bit small at 25L.

http://tacticalgear.com/vertx-edc-re...22/6386/1?dl=b

Several options here. I always look at REI when shopping for backpacks.
    https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/c/tra...ce&outlet=true
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-09-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Backpacks

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Big fan of my North Face Borealis. I have a number of backpacks, including a TAD Gear Litespeed, but I reach most often for this pack. Two water bottle holders and a sleeve for a laptop. I have a slightly older generation of this pack. Available in plenty of color combinations and definitely lacks a military profile.

I use this same bag in all black. I generally carry a 15" laptop, a handful of writing utensils, extra business cards and name badges, a hard case with my readers, phone charger cord and earbuds, a portfolio (thin letter size), and a half dozen or so thin file folders.

My only complaint is in the large outer pocket there is a poorly designed pocket which is supposed to be held closed by Velcro but the pens are too heavy so it sags and doesn't hold.

Otherwise, TNF products are well made and have a good warranty. It hold up well for a daily telecommuter and frequent traveler.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 01-09-2017 at 09:33 PM.

My all time favorite pack is the classic LBT 3-day pack. I still have one I bought in the early 90s and it's as good as new. Classic design that still works great. I bought a newer one last year when they released the slick versions with no Molle.

Tom Bihn Synapse 25

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  26.2 KB

http://www.patagonia.com/product/cha...&start=1&sz=24

I've used a black Patagonia Chacabuca for the last two years as my daily commuter bag and been fairly impressed with the durability and utility since I picked it up on sale for around $65. It has a "17 lap top compartment for that also has routing for earbuds, or a hydration bladder if you aren't carrying a laptop and a large main compartment with compression straps to protect the zipper. It also has two elastic water bottle pouches that are easy to access and offer secure stowage. I'll often keep glove liners and a beanie in one during cold weather. The secondary compartment has an organizer for pens, mags, maybe a phone charger etc, with plenty of room for an IFAK depending on how it's packed (the flatter the better).

I haven't driven a car outside of work in the last two years, (I only own a motorcycle) so it gets more use than just trunk to office. It goes from my back to my work truck where it's banged around daily and then expands enough to get my groceries home in the evening. It'll fit a twelve pack of cans with room for steaks and taters if needed. And it does it all while looking like every other jackass' laptop bag at the Starbucks (90% are black). It ain't built to the standards of $300 bag, but it's been a great value for the money.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.

I am an admitted backpack junkie. I've been looking for a new EDC pack to replace the Kelty I've been using that's worse for the wear.

My requirements are fitting govt issued Dell laptop with a padded compartment, well designed shoulder straps and pack attachment, water bottle pockets, and internal organizer.

I've got couple of Grey Ghosts smaller backs and love them. They are, however, too small for a laptop or too tactical. BTW, I believe they're made by Tactical Tailor.

I definitely want to get one of HPGs packs. The Umlindi looks great but for EDC it would need an add on laptop sleeve and organizer. Otherwise, it's just an open pack. I don't think it would work as well as dedicated EDC packs.

The finalists I came up with were the Alphaoneniner Evade, STM Drifter, and MR Streetfighter. I've pretty much decided on the Streetfighter due to being a fan of the MR packs.
    Last edited by drummer; 01-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can't vouch for them but I've been tempted to try them several times.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/mobile/...oductCode=6022
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I hate and love grey ghost.

The price points are attractive and the stuff seems like it'll do exactly what I want except I've yet to read a single review or third party statement on many of their items...
    I can comment on the Stealth Operator Pack. I've used the same one for several years and it's gotten some pretty hard use. Build quality and durability are excellent. A couple of years ago one of my kiddos lost half the sternum strap and Grey Ghost sent a replacement at no cost. About a year or so ago, I sent it in for a zipper replacement after I ripped a couple of teeth loose overloading it and they covered that repair and return shipping. Otherwise, I've only had to wash kid snot and mud out of it, along with the occasional quantity of blood and teargas. It wears easily even when loaded heavy, but isn't a long trek pack. For organization, mine is the older version with the four, open-top mesh internal pockets on the interior of the main compartment. They are perfectly sized for gas mask filters, trauma dressings, or Barbies bent at the waist. Soft armor needs to be custom cut, but plates fit. The balance of the main compartment is big enough for a gas mask and needful things, a 13" laptop and office gear for that user, or a lot of dad gear. The outer pocket opens with a vertical zipper that I would prefer open down rather than up. Inside the outer pocket it's the typical pen slots slots but they are large enough for chest needles and chem lights, and another slot fits two Glock mags perfectly. The spot designed to conceal a gun is tough to access, and best used for storage not accessible carry. The top-loading hydration sleeve makes that process easy, and there's a hanger at the top to keep the weight off the bottom of the pack.

Mine is a nice shade of gray, and with its slick exterior easily passes scrutiny. When I pack it deliberately, it's had enough inherent depth and diversion to pass bag checks at theme parks, stadiums, and facility checkpoints. It's actually a low-pro pack, unlike many others advertised as such.

Based on all this, this backpack is a leader. It doesn't meet OP's criteria, but something else in the line may be worth looking at.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-09-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List