Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB and the 1911

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    A not dropping the pistol grip.
    Fair enough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I'd add that this is not nearly the same as riding the hammer on a double action pistol when reholstering, since in that case the hammer should be in the de-cocked position. In the case of a 1911 if somehow the safety mechanisms fail and some event occurs that would cause the hammer to fall and the only thing keeping it from doing so is your thumb, as soon as you release the hammer the gun is going to fire (unless you become aware of it and take measures to prevent it). Of course such a failure is unlikely and would mean something really bad happened like an internal parts failure -- but probably not impossible.

My apologies if this discussion is muddying up the thread.
    Mechanically, every 1911 I've handled has a half cock notch for this reason. Thusly if everything went wrong, you had your thumb there, and the hammer fell after removing the thumb, the half cock is still there to prevent the firing pin from getting hit.

No AIWB 1911 thread is near complete without this clip:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0yLjVk0eM

Man I miss Miami Vice...sometimes.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 01-09-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Sorry - negligent discharge.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 01-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Put it on safe, ride the hammer as you reholster.
    I carried a 1911 at AIWB for over a year, and this is what I did. Or at least tried to do.

Series 80 for the win. Seriously though, if I were to carry a 1911 AIWB it would have to have a firing pin block that was properly timed. I like 1911's a lot and see ZERO downside to series 80.

I have some 1911s that I am running around experimenting with.

I think people may be talking about riding the back of the slide so that the hammer would be blocked by the thumb if it fell. I don't ride any of the safeties while holstering. Some of the good holsters will kick on the thumb safety if you were to forget. I also don't press the grip safety while holstering. Combine all these steps with blocking the back of the slide and tilting your hips forward and the 1911 seems to be a nice AIWB gun like mentioned.

Ditto to the person who was talking about the half cocked notch.

1911 primary CCW. Thumb under the safety pushing it up. I do it the same for 3o'clock IWB and AIWB. Very similar to carrying an m-4, if you feel the safety is "on" with your thumb you know to weapon is on safe. If the safety is "on" I know my hammer is not moving. I also watch my gun into the holster for CCW. If it was a DA gun I'd probably keep my thump on top of the hammer while reholstering in the same CCW carrying positions. Thigh rig w/ an M-9 I do not always ride the hammer while reholstering after decocking, although maybe I need to..

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    I like 1911's a lot and see ZERO downside to series 80.
    Well, putting it back together after a detail strip requires three hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Well, putting it back together after a detail strip requires three hands.
    Roger that, it's a little more tedious but the psychological benefit is worth it in my book.

User Tag List