Thread: DIY no slip tape

DIY no slip tape

For years I have been using tape from the hardware store. Black sandpaper type or grey rubber type (which I wished was available in black). So I looked at McMaster Carr and, as usual, they have stuff. These are the #s for the three I ordered.
    Name:  McM Numbers.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  82.9 KB
    Closeups;
    Clear. Not sure where to use this yet but I think it will be nice when I don't want to change the guns appearance w/ black tape. It is almost as aggressive as the hardware store black stair tape.
    Name:  Clear.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  73.0 KB
    Black rubber. I like this because w/ a little heat it can be stretched slightly around corners. You can also squeeze down the edges so it is less likely to be peeled off accidently.
    Name:  Rubber.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  88.3 KB
    Aluminum backing. Not real sure what it may be used for but I wanted to see what it is. It is less aggresive (100-150 grit) than the hardware store stuff (60-80 grit)
    Name:  Aluminum.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  74.6 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've used 3M Safety Tape for years. It works splendidly without being too aggressive or shedding grit into your holster or the action of your pistol.
    3/15/2016

Based on some IG Live streams, I see that Steve Fisher has been using hockey tape for a little bit now.

I've been experimenting with it in dry fire for a couple months now and finally got about 50 rounds down range through that gun yesterday. My initial impressions are positive, at least in sunny, dry conditions.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Based on some IG Live streams, I see that Steve Fisher has been using hockey tape for a little bit now.

I've been experimenting with it in dry fire for a couple months now and finally got about 50 rounds down range through that gun yesterday. My initial impressions are positive, at least in sunny, dry conditions.
    I've got hockey tape wrapped around multiple Clinch Picks which have been carried close to the body. Works well and stays stuck and tacky even when wet with sweat or in humid conditions.

That said, I find you have to use multiple wraps to keep it stuck. I find it bulky compared to 3M stair tape. Fisher has huge hands too so, he probably doesn't care if it bulks up the grip.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The clear version of that tape has me thinking about things, tho...
    3/15/2016

User Tag List